which mbc do i get?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobCrezz

Re: which mbc do i get?

Post by RobCrezz »

The TVIS Kid wrote:I re-fitted mine at the weekend which has stopped my car overboosting. However I would like to know if anyone else suffers from boost tail off with this fitted. I'll hit 16psi (1.1bar) at around 4.5K rpm in 3rd but it tails off to 13 or less at the redline.

You sure the TVSV has been disconnected? that will stop it holding till redline.
jim55

Post by jim55 »

i can only see two hoses that come from the actuator ,i take it the one that goes from the actuator to the the turbo is where the mbc should go (in-line i.e cut the hose /insert mbc and thats it connected?)what about the other hose coming out of the actuator(2 of 2 ) is this to b blocked off completley?
edit -iv had another look and in the second pic theres 2 hoses to b blocked off completely .the blue silicon hose is quite easily found on mine ,but wheres the other (black rubber)hose beneath it connect to and when u change the hoses is it just a case of changing them over?will the car still run after changing them ?theres no pressure/vacuum or anything like that in them even when the cars not running is there :?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

jim55 wrote:i can only see two hoses that come from the actuator ,i take it the one that goes from the actuator to the the turbo is where the mbc should go (in-line i.e cut the hose /insert mbc and thats it connected?)what about the other hose coming out of the actuator(2 of 2 ) is this to b blocked off completley?
edit -iv had another look and in the second pic theres 2 hoses to b blocked off completely .the blue silicon hose is quite easily found on mine ,but wheres the other (black rubber)hose beneath it connect to and when u change the hoses is it just a case of changing them over?will the car still run after changing them ?theres no pressure/vacuum or anything like that in them even when the cars not running is there :?

Easyest way, is to get under the car, or get a it on some stands and unplug the electric plug for the VSV underneath the no4 inlet, then you dont have to p1$$ around plugging vacume hoses, and its easy to return it to standard. thats what I did. I reckon thats whats causing it not to hold.
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

I find Manual controllers annoying as they are quite inconsistent due to the british weather. My spring also went funny often and spiked or wouldnt hold properly. They all do the same thing I assume??
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
craig

Post by craig »

I've just bought one from GTSchris. from the add:

This boost controller is based on a ball and spring mechanism. A simple turn of a screw is all it takes to lower or raise the boost. This MBC comes with instructions. This is the only boost controller you will ever need. Each Boost controller is tested and will hold enough boost for any application.

This controller is built to last.

Remember, this is the highest quality boost controller you will ever use and also the easiest

The wastegate valve will usually start to open at around half the spring pressure of the actuator, this is called wastegate creep (as you have the pressure of the exhaust gases acting on the wastegate also). With a standard actuator and bleed valve fitted the wastegate starts to open from as low as 3 psi losing valuable boost response, with a MBC there in no boost pressure applied to the actuator at all until the pre-determined boost level is reached and then and only then the boost pressure is allowed to flow through he MBC to open the actuator.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

jim55 wrote:i can only see two hoses that come from the actuator ,i take it the one that goes from the actuator to the the turbo is where the mbc should go (in-line i.e cut the hose /insert mbc and thats it connected?)what about the other hose coming out of the actuator(2 of 2 ) is this to b blocked off completley?

Hi JIM55
in my pic of the tvsv pipes the black pipe is the original tvsv pipe goes from tvsv to actuator.

the blue hose is a short peice of hose with a bolt in the end that i added myself to seal off the actuator.

you can just cut the actuator to tvsv hose and bung both ends.
the only reason i added another hose was because i didnt want to cut the stock tvsv hose. so i could refit it if nessacary
Mr2'less
jim55

Post by jim55 »

thanks razor :thumleft: re blocking off the tvsv hose to the actuator just one hose ?
edit iv seen what uve done now cheers mate :thumleft:
re fitting it -theres no pressure /vacuum in the pipes/hoses when you remove them is there ?just take one off ,and put another on ?easy as that??
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

jim55 wrote:thanks razor :thumleft: re blocking off the tvsv hose to the actuator just one hose ?
edit iv seen what uve done now cheers mate :thumleft:
re fitting it -theres no pressure /vacuum in the pipes/hoses when you remove them is there ?just take one off ,and put another on ?easy as that??

Have a look at my above post. You can just unplug the electrical connector. You dont have to do any blocking of the vac lines etc if your not sure.
adam maclean

Post by adam maclean »

Would I be best off fitting an uprated fuel pump before an MBC?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Antstarr wrote: My spring also went funny often and spiked or wouldnt hold properly. They all do the same thing I assume??

Funny you should say that, I find to keep everything working tickety boo I need to take it off and clean the ball and spring every few months otherwise the ball etc gets a bit sticky and the boost isn't smooth.

For the money they're a hard mod to beat! Just make sure you wind that adjuster in quarter turn at a time when you're setting it up :thumleft:
jim55

Post by jim55 »

right ,iv got the mbc in place (its not actually connected to the turbo yet as i had to get the right size hose from ebay)i found out its boosting at 13 psi max im ona take it up to a safe level ,iv been told 16psi is safe (ive also been told 18 is ok on a rev 3 ,but im gona play it safe and just go for the 16) this should b noticeable. do i need colder grade plugs to go with the increased boost?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

any power mod can cause issues but you **should** be safe with 16. I know on my rev3 the boost tailed off with the mbc. Bang for buck mbc's rule but ebc's are nice to play with lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”