which mbc do i get?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jim55

which mbc do i get?

Post by jim55 »

can anyone reccomend a half decent mbc?iv read a few posts on this and it seems a minimal outlay for a bit more performance .i dont want to go mad just raise it to a safe max (prob 15psi?)apparently they run about 13(rev 3 )so its not a mental jump im after .im fitting an omori boost gauge at the weekend so ill have something to see what its boosting at just now .the car is running an apexi induction kit and a non -standard exhaust .its a bit of an unknown quantity as the exhaust was on it when i got it ,it looks like 3" between the boxes so i guess you could say that makes a diff .other than that theres nothing visible (dont know if the "cat"has been gutted )that would (poss) raise the boost any .as said il need to find out what its boosting at just now and go from there.if its already at 15 or so i wont b messing about with it ,but if its only12/13 then its gota b worth £20
.so where do i start peeps ?any tips /links anything like that thumbs up
LiamTye

Re: which mbc do i get?

Post by LiamTye »

Banned ex-affiliate link removed by admin.
jim55

Post by jim55 »

thanks :thumleft: i take it fitting is quite easy then ?it says its a 5 min job!(prob take me about 2 hrs if theyr saying 5 min :roll:
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

i had a bleed valve on mine when i bought it and swapped it over for one of these

not sure how easy it will be to fit from standard for me it was just a case of swapping the bleed valve over for one of these
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

My new car had an mbc fitted as well as an ebc (only reading pressure). I'm having boost problems at the mo since i've removed the mbc and am using the ebc so tomorrow i'm gonna re-fit the mbc. They are easy to fit, just spliced into the pipe between the nipple on the turbo to the actuator.

The only thing i found is they cause the boost to tail off. I would hit near 15psi at 4.5krpm but this would tail off to 12psi at the redline. With an ebc you can hold better boost to the redline. Check out this site about GT4's its pretty good for 1st timer like myself.

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/default.htm?ht ... v/tvsv.htm[/url]
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

make sure its one of them ball and spring valves, not a bleed valve.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

This one:

Mr2'less
craig

Post by craig »

How good are these Raz? Wouldn't mind one, better than forking out £300 on an ebc :thumleft:

I'd imagine once the boost is set, you needn't bother tweaking it again. Job done :)
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

They're great red, for £20 a few cable ties n a bit of silicone hose from halfords you cant beat it bang for buck.

They just let the turbo spool up and they just hold the boost there rock solid till you back off, coupled with losing the boost limits in first n second (which makes a huge difference in 2nd) for me its MBC FTW lol

only problem i've had in 6 mnths of running it is that it can spike a little higher than set on REALLY cold days i.e frosty mornings etc. But i've just dropped it to 1bar for the winter will return it to 1.1/1.2 for the summer.

DIY fit in half hour but lost a bit of skin off my knuckles bunnging up the tvsv pipes.
Mr2'less
craig

Post by craig »

Razor04 wrote:They're great red, for £20 a few cable ties n a bit of silicone hose from halfords you cant beat it bang for buck.

They just let the turbo spool up and they just hold the boost there rock solid till you back off, coupled with losing the boost limits in first n second (which makes a huge difference in 2nd) for me its MBC FTW lol

only problem i've had in 6 mnths of running it is that it can spike a little higher than set on REALLY cold days i.e frosty mornings etc. But i've just dropped it to 1bar for the winter will return it to 1.1/1.2 for the summer.

DIY fit in half hour but lost a bit of skin off my knuckles bunnging up the tvsv pipes.

Cool, I'm off to get one. For £20 you can't go wrong. My old EBC I had, once it was set I never touched it.

How do you know what the boost is set at? Is there some kind of markings on the adjuster or something? Never seen an MBC up close lol.

MBC, Ebay IC and a GTSchris fan/shroud. Game on, for a few quid :D

Also, what diameter hose is required to connect it and what lenghths did you go for?

Cheers :thumleft:
Baker

Post by Baker »

you need a boost gauge fitted, dont rely on the stick.

from memory, 5mm id hose.?
craig

Post by craig »

Baker wrote:you need a boost gauge fitted, dont rely on the stick.

from memory, 5mm id hose.?

I have a Greddy gauge fitted, just wondered if there was any markings on the MBC to be able to tell the settings :-k
Baker

Post by Baker »

oh sorry, the ones ive had its a case of start with it screwed in fully, and read the gauge at that setting. then increase slightly each time checking the gauge until u get the desired boost.
Baker

Post by Baker »

EDIT, screwed OUT, then screw in for more boost.

Its late! :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

lol, cheers dude :)
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Yeah there's no markings as such i did the above, and just screwed it right out to start with then do a few WOT runs giving it a quarter turn each time till you get it where you want it.

I did score a line on the top of the adjusting knob with a knife so i had a mark i could go by for getting quarter turns.

it didnt take alot to get it to 1bar bout one and a half turns i think, the springs in these are pretty strong.

oh yeah i used 6mm sfs silicone hose from halfords comes it a bag red or blue i forget the length but its plenty.

the bolt for bunging up the oem black tvsv pipe needs to be 8mm a 6mm bolt wont do it.

some pics:

You can make the lengths as short as you want just keep them both the same length. Mine are quite long cos i wanted to be able to get at it easily
to adjust it when setting up and the engine will be hot whilst setting it up.
i have scince shortened it back behind the air filter.
Mr2'less
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I re-fitted mine at the weekend which has stopped my car overboosting. However I would like to know if anyone else suffers from boost tail off with this fitted. I'll hit 16psi (1.1bar) at around 4.5K rpm in 3rd but it tails off to 13 or less at the redline.
Baker

Post by Baker »

what car you got?

if its a ct26 turbo thats normal.
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I have a rev 3 so it should hold till the redline.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

i havent experienced any tailing off as such but i tend not to redline the engine if i can help it, i usually change up at 6k.

sometimes turbos get a bit tired & just run out of puff if they're getting old and been hammered for a few years as most have.
Mr2'less

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”