MR2 won't start

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2shane

Re: MR2 won't start

Post by MR2shane »

Hi,

I know it seems like a worst case scenario, but i had the same symptoms (albeit on a 1992)...ended up changing every spare part i had (& knew worked), ignito, coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, earth cables, fuses etc etc...until i ended up changing the ECU and she fired straight up.
Once i knew, i took the ECU apart and found one resistor fried...i havent bothered fixing it yet now its all running, but maybe something to check.
bigal

Post by bigal »

MR2shane wrote:Hi,

I know it seems like a worst case scenario, but i had the same symptoms (albeit on a 1992)...ended up changing every spare part i had (& knew worked), ignito, coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, earth cables, fuses etc etc...until i ended up changing the ECU and she fired straight up.
Once i knew, i took the ECU apart and found one resistor fried...i havent bothered fixing it yet now its all running, but maybe something to check.

Yes, definitely check your ECU for leaking capacitors. Take your ECU off and have a look inside its a nice easy job and doesn't cost anything unless you find the leaking capacitors which are a well known fail point. It cost me £40 to have mine repaired last year and I've had no problems since.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bigal wrote:

Yes, definitely check your ECU for leaking capacitors. Take your ECU off and have a look inside its a nice easy job and doesn't cost anything unless you find the leaking capacitors which are a well known fail point. It cost me £40 to have mine repaired last year and I've had no problems since.

Agreed .. this happened to me .. my engine check light used to come on for no reason .. two big capacitors and leaked there electrolytes all over the circuit board. well worth a look . . . ecu was a rev2 tubby .
Torero

Post by Torero »

You could also try a small but useful trick which is to get someone to crank the engine whilst it's dark, this way it'll show any spark that is being emitted and the source of it.

This is how I solved mine and it turned out to be as simple as a faulty king lead.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

2mad wrote:
bigal wrote:

Agreed .. this happened to me .. my engine check light used to come on for no reason .. two big capacitors and leaked there electrolytes all over the circuit board. well worth a look . . . ecu was a rev2 tubby .

my old rev2 tubby ecu failed too

worked fine to start the car and drive but the ecu light used to glow (wasnt full bright) and it would slowly get brighter or more dull

and when i checked for error codes ..nothing
bigal

Post by bigal »

Well....................

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”