Would like help with diagnosis please, Cat warning light on

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt77

Would like help with diagnosis please, Cat warning light on

Post by matt77 »

I'm a bit OCD with faults and this one is making me twitch :)

I wouldn't know about this fault if the cat warning light on the dash had not started coming on today. It seems to be only when the car is fully warmed up and mainly when on the throttle. At first, it seems to be linked to the turbo spooling but when the engine is hot it's whenever throttle is open.

I did change the clutch a week ago and am only an amateur so the experts here will know how many systems were disturbed. Covered 250km without issues since.

First glance revealed a leaking nearside drive shaft oil seal but I think this is unrelated, having checked the box oil level and cleaned everything up. There was a lot of oil about but not near the cat.

I checked the fault codes and got 24 and 31, which are intake temp and pressure sensors I believe. I don't know if this is because after changing the clutch, I tried to start the engine without plugging the MAF back in.

Further investigation, the charcoal canister (or the electrical thing with a blue plug attached to it) is buzzing and stops if you tap it. I read this is normal but I've not noticed it before today.

I pulled the ECU fuse for a few minutes and still getting codes 24 and 31. I don't know where they are though and just run out of daylight.

The car seems to drive fine but I'd like to be sure.

:-k
Kinsy

Re: Would like help with diagnosis please, Cat warning light on

Post by Kinsy »

Disconnect the battery to clear the codes.

If you have the standard downpipe on then you may have a blocked cat (or it's breaking up). Bearing in mind pretty much any turbo (95 and below) can be run legally without the cat on i'd just replace the downpipe with a decat one and take the bulb out the dash :)
adam1989

Post by adam1989 »

Hi matt77

i had the same problem as you, took the cat off to find that it had broken up inside and dropped onto the sensor burning the wires causing the light to be on constantly

Adam
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Cheers guys, just the cat then. I was worried it might be something more important :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”