[Mk2] [Generic] upgrade of stereo sub & amp

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nick_rs2k

[Mk2] [Generic] upgrade of stereo sub & amp

Post by nick_rs2k »

ive replaced the stereo which came in my car and all is well but i do want to put a sub and amp in the car.
my car is 1997 t-bar uk spec ive read somewhere that there are amps behind the seat belt panel is this only on the import MR2 or they on the uk spec cars also?

is it best for me to buy secondhand toyota AMPS (if my car hasnt got em) or is it better to get aftermarket if so what makes/models would you recommend which fit somewhere out of the way like behind a panel?

if anyone has the dimensions of a sub box could you tell me the dimensions as i could make this my self or if any one has a link to company that make after market sub boxes?

also what size sub is installed in the box and is it ported or not?

sorry i know its lots of question but if you can answer any that will be good for me as im stilll new to the MR2
No_more_GT4

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] upgrade of stereo sub & amp

Post by No_more_GT4 »

Hi Nick,
Have a look in the storage compartments behind each seat. If there are grills at the front of these storage compartments, then you have the active sound system, which, if I'm right in saying this, (please correct me anyone if I'm wrong) means you have two subs tucked away in those storage boxes, which in turn, means you have factory fitted amps behind the rear 1/4 pannels (where the seatbelts are).

Mine is a UK REV 3 & that had the twin sub set up & yours is 2 years younger than mine, so yours should have it too :D

I've just installed my stereo & you'll be very lucky to find an aftermarket amp that will fit behind any of the pannels in the cabin :mad:

No point in getting OEM Toyota amps IMHO as if you're going to be installing an amp & a sub, you may as well get a decent one :thumleft:

As for sub boxes, I do have a spare drivers side box. It's one of these & it's just sitting in the livingroom if you're interested :?: It's for a 10" sub. PM me if you want to know more.

http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/index.a ... ductid=297

I'm currently using the same box as above, but for the passenger side. I'm thinking of changing that also, but undecided yet, so both could be up for sale 8) .

I've got a 10" JL 10Wv3 & it's in a sealed box as the boxes for sealed units are smaller than ported boxes, & as you know there is not a lot of room in the cabin of an MR2 :lol:

Size of speaker depends on what music you're into & how loud you like it really. I went for a 10"er as I like a variety of music. Anything from Rock to dance, R 'n' B to hip hop to pop.

A pair of 8"ers would be good as the boxes wouldn't have to be that big. Some OC members on here even have a pair of 12's behind their lug holes :shock: . Again, it's all down to your taste of music.

Where abouts are you based?

Hope this is of any help :thumleft:

Rich
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

thank you for your reply.
Just had a look at my car and I dont have speakers in the side of the compartment behind the seats so I guess I dont have any subs.

Thank you for the offer of the sub box but I was really after putting the sub behind the passenger seat not the drivers seat but I may have made a mistake yet cos my car is a T-bar im not sure if both bits of glass will fit behind one seat as I havent driven the car yet with the glass out!! so I may not be able to put a sub there anyway.

I live in kent and work in Surrey.
Tarmaxx

Post by Tarmaxx »

Hey there,

I had a 1990 MK2 with the standard sub.

Its not located in the side of the compartments it is instead of the lugguage box on the passenger side. Look behind the seat and you will see a "Step" up from the floor about the size of a house stair before the engine bay bulkhead. One of these opens for maps and stuff and if the other is secured shut with a grille facing the front of the car its in there.

Although it IS a sub its not really much of one. Dont get me wrong its pretty punchy for a standard stereo system in 1990, but the thing was shaped like a 6x9 only a little smaller and was sat in a teeny tiny plastic box with no port. I wouldn't recommend using or obtaining one as part of any high performance stereo system.

I now have a 1991 T-Bar, I would definitely not recommend using any of the space behind the seats unless you are ok with leaving the glass behind when you take it out.

The biggest subs I have seen in MR2s have been put into the nose in place of the spare wheel. You DO lose some of the bass sound quality through the bulkhead, but no more than say, putting them into the boot of a saloon. The fact that you can easily fit a 15" or 18" sub in there means you should be able to make up for the insulation with sheer brute force :D
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

thank you for your reply.

i did build a sub for this in the end http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99264
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Just to clear this up, there are 3 factory stereo setups in the MK2. Standard, Active and Premium. Standard works normally, head unit does all the work and speakers are passive. Active has a sub in the storage cubby hole behind the passenger seat, rear speakers, and an amp in the passenger rear 1/4. Premium has subs in both cubby holes, a DSP unit in the driver's rear 1/4, and 2 amps in the passenger rear 1/4.

At least that's my understanding of it!

:thumleft:
silverhawk160

Post by silverhawk160 »

I have a 1993 T-bar and it must be the premium as I have a sub in passenger and drivers side cubby box
hermit

Post by hermit »

No_more_GT4 wrote:No point in getting OEM Toyota amps IMHO as if you're going to be installing an amp & a sub, you may as well get a decent one :thumleft:

Rich

I know by todays standards there only 'ok', but in the early nineties the actives were top notch.

Active systems were designed/built by 'Bose'. Make OME systems for Aston and top Audis, amongst others, so in good company.

hermit.

Return to “Electrical”