strange clutch problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

zak_godsell

strange clutch problem

Post by zak_godsell »

i bought the clutch from tb i think and had it fitted about 2-3 months back.the problem is if i travel for about 5-10 miles without using it and then need to use it my foot just goes to the floor :shock: ,if i pump it 6-10 times then it starts to work again.any replies would be appreciated
unyonion

Re: strange clutch problem

Post by unyonion »

mine does exactly the same thing, only on longer journeys (100+ miles) it just goes to the floor. If I wait about 2 mins its ok, my clutch has started to slip recently and a mechanic said that appartanty its the clutch fluid overheating due to the clutch slipping slightly & causing heat.
But on a new clutch possibly something v wrong!

Prob not helpful but at least someone else has had the same prob; no one on MR2oc could reply with any helpful info when I posted it a while back.

Mark
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

I'm no expert but you might just need the system bleeding. not a big job. or you could have bust seals on the slave cylinder.
Big G

Post by Big G »

It sounds like the fluid is boiling up tbh, if it works when the car is first started up but not once warm then it can't be the seals in the servo or lines really.

Though are you losing clutch fluid??

Would suggest bleeding the whole system tbh it only takes about 20min and I think theres only 2 nipples to bleed anyway

Question is why is it boiling up?? its unusual for clutch fluid to boil up tbh, brakes (same fluid) are different as they are subject to tremendous heat continously, but the clutch obviously isn't.

but anyway just bleed ya clutch, and if you feel like it do ya brakes too. You'll have to buy a litre of fluid anyway and that one litre will do both brakes and clutch
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

I remember reading something ages back by a chap on here.

He forgot to put the clutch slave heatshield back on after a rebuild.

After a while, the heat from the turbo boils the hydraulic fluid, making it useless at activating the clutch.

Have a look under the car - maybe this is the cause?

Otherwise, it sounds like hydraulic/air problem.

hth

Ian
Big G

Post by Big G »

wise words
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

thanks for the replies.i will change the fluid and check to see if the heatshield is still on.not been able to get on the net for a while as the old pc is getting old and not working very well
Dame

Post by Dame »

A hole in one of the seals in the master cylinder will also cause the problems you describe. Suspect this if no fluid seems to be leaking. Basically what happens is that the fluid passes through the hole in the seal. Because the hole is quite small, there is a limit to how much fluid can pass through. If is also possible that under certain circumstances it could momentarily reseal and thus cause the clutch to operate correctly. This will get worse as the hole increases in size. Nothing leaks because the leak is occurring internally. You're not losing any fluid - it's just going to the wrong place at the wrong time.

You can buy master cylinder service kits from Toyota, they're around £30.00 which is cheaper than a new master cylinder. The only way to check this out is to disassemble the cylinder and check for holes in any of the seals. You also need to check the condition of the cylinder walls. Any scouring and its new cylinder time, so do this before you buy the service kit!
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

I had exactly the same problem and dove in and replaced the slave
cylinder after reading some posts, but, still had the same problem.

Replacing the master cylinder fixed it - so exactly as Dame put it, you're
probably getting fluid bypass in the master.

HTH
Stephen
'2 in Blue

Return to “Mechanical”