blitz nur spec r exhaust for the mr2 turbo with baffle cause alot backpressure

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

QUOC2008

blitz nur spec r exhaust for the mr2 turbo with baffle cause alot backpressure

Post by QUOC2008 »

blitz nur spec r exhaust for the mr2 turbo with baffle does it cause much backpressure or if any at all... i heard it can cause alot and make the engine over heat???
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Hez

Re: blitz nur spec r exhaust for the mr2 turbo with baffle cause alot backpressure

Post by Hez »

I would be careful with a bung on a blitz nur spec, it could create too much back pressure and it can cause the engine to run backwards.
Nic

Re: blitz nur spec r exhaust for the mr2 turbo with baffle cause alot backpressure

Post by Nic »

Fitting an exhaust bung has a noticeable effect on performance, it won't make the engine overheat as such but it will increase the exhaust gas temperatures.

I've fitted an extra silencer on my Blitz NUR R, it has quietened it down with minimal effect on performance http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172721
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'd say the effect is minor. It will cause excess back pressure which will create a drop in performance. But it also quietens down the car.

I run my Nur without a bung but then Its only a weekend car not sure i'd want to use it daily.
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

Nur spec and Bung.... scrap that... run without!! use mine as a daily and love it!!! :twisted:
Draven

Post by Draven »

andrew77 wrote:Nur spec and Bung.... scrap that... run without!! use mine as a daily and love it!!! :twisted:

Guessing you don't do lots of motorway miles then
JD

Post by JD »

Hez wrote:I would be careful with a bung on a blitz nur spec, it could create too much back pressure and it can cause the engine to run backwards.

craig

Post by craig »

Draven wrote:
andrew77 wrote:Nur spec and Bung.... scrap that... run without!! use mine as a daily and love it!!! :twisted:

I've just done 1500 miles (motorway/country roads) on the Lemans trip with Nur Spec-R, Berk de-cat and no bung. Not once did I feel it was too droning in the cabin.

Sounded epic in the tunnels though. :twisted:

I wouldn't bother with a bung. Makes barely any difference to how loud the exhaust is, and it'll be more restrictive.
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

Draven wrote:

Dual carriageway everyday but doesn't really bother me unless I'm sitting at the same speed for ages , just open the windows and enjoy
\:D/ bung is always in the boot should I need a break if it's several hours of driving ha!
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

I did some testing of my nur spec with/without bung. Definitely the bung held the car back slightly.

Found the car too loud for my liking without the bung. Neighbours not happy.

I ended up cutting half of the pipe on the inner side of the bung and found that to be a compromise I could live with. How half the bung pipe flows better than the full one is beyond my reasoning but it does.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

can anything be done to the baffle to make the exhaust quieter... i was thinking replace the small insert pipe on the baffle to a larger one or same diameter of the exit that fits perfectly around the exit of the tail inside would this help...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Instead of trying to make a loud exhaust quieter with a bung, why not buy a quieter exhaust. Either that or get a silencer welded in somewhere.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

but the baffle really works... its perfect noise level with the baffle inserted... but then if i what the it louder i can just remove it so that why i want to keep it.
i had a look at other exhaust but the only other one that has the same performance is the hks hi power, but this exhaust rusts real bad as its not stainless steel
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

QUOC2008 wrote:i had a look at other exhaust but the only other one that has the same performance is the hks hi power, but this exhaust rusts real bad as its not stainless steel

The HKS is not the only other exhaust that is known to be very free-flowing.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Go to a decent exhaust place and get them to make you a bung that meets your needs I had one made for my old gt4
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

QUOC2008 wrote:but the baffle really works... its perfect noise level with the baffle inserted... but then if i what the it louder i can just remove it so that why i want to keep it.

It's not a baffle, it's a bung.

Any bung will decrease noise level and increase back pressure.
JD

Post by JD »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:i had a look at other exhaust but the only other one that has the same performance is the hks hi power, but this exhaust rusts real bad as its not stainless steel

The HKS is not the only other exhaust that is known to be very free-flowing.

Yeah, and they also did a SS version which pops up for sale every so often, usually quite expensive, though.

I'll say it again; the full-fat Kakimoto is the best sounding exhaust for mk2 (IMO) and the Apexi GT spec (or N1) isn't far behind.

The Buddy Club is just stupid - you will go deaf and cause structural damage to buildings.

The Blitz Nur-spec R is vastly overrated (IMHO).

HKS silent hi-power (SS) seems to be designed using magic that makes it the best of both worlds.

I haven't had my A'pexi noise-tested yet but I'm fairly confident that it will scrape by the 105db static limit at Blyton.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

OP hasn't actually said he wants to change his exhaust. :?
craig

Post by craig »

Nur Spec isn't over-rated imo, it's a well built quality exhaust that sounds awesome. Each to their own mind
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I see no one really mentions the eBay specials..... are they best avoided?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”