Trickle charger question...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Trickle charger question...

Post by KarlBristol »

I'm investing in a new battery as mine has just died #-o

I want to keep the new battery in tip top condition. I've got a solar charger (which I will need to modify the cigarette socket to use) but I've heard mixed results on their usage.

I'm therefore looking at using a trickle charger but I don't want to have to take the spare wheel etc out every time I plug in for a charge up. Is there a trickle charger which I can leave two insulated feeds/tails coming from the battery which I then just plug in every time I want? I really don't want to take the spare wheel out every day or every couple of days :eye:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
jon

Re: Trickle charger question...

Post by jon »

Take a look at CTEK chargers. I've had one a for 3 or 4 years now, it keeps the battery topped up over the winter.

It was supplied with a cable that permanently bolts on the battery and has an insulated plug. I've got the charger permanently fixed to the garage wall and just connect it to cable under the bonnet if I'm not using the MR2 for a few days.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Definitely CTEK. Mine has a decent refurbishment cycle built into it, has bought a battery I thought was toast back to life before :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

You can put the charger wires onto the big positive wire in the engine bay fuse box and anywhere shiny metal in the engine bay for the negative , saves having to remove the spare all the time
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I use a solar charger from maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-1 ... rger-98358 and added a second cigarette lighter under the glove box for it. CTEK chargers are good, at the moment you can get a Bosch/Varta 065 battery from halfords for £20 (with 3 or 4 year guarantee) worth watching as they are changing to Yuasa batteries so will be selling off other batteries.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

jon wrote:Take a look at CTEK chargers. I've had one a for 3 or 4 years now, it keeps the battery topped up over the winter.

It was supplied with a cable that permanently bolts on the battery and has an insulated plug. I've got the charger permanently fixed to the garage wall and just connect it to cable under the bonnet if I'm not using the MR2 for a few days.

Which model of ctek do you use?
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Another vote for CTEK. I use the MXS 5.0:

http://www.ctek.com/int/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

Great charger with the tails permanently attached to the battery ready for trickle charging.
jon

Post by jon »

juliankv73 wrote:
jon wrote:Take a look at CTEK chargers. I've had one a for 3 or 4 years now, it keeps the battery topped up over the winter.

Which model of ctek do you use?

I've got the smallest model, the XS 0.8, as I only use it to keep the battery topped up.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

stuMR2eye wrote:Another vote for CTEK. I use the MXS 5.0:

http://www.ctek.com/int/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

Great charger with the tails permanently attached to the battery ready for trickle charging.

Same here!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Thanks for the heads up and advice one and all - very useful :thumleft:

I will replace the battery within the next couple of days and then look at buying a CTEK (hopefully the MXS 5.0) on payday. From what I've read it does everything I want and lots more :mrgreen:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”