[Mk2] [Generic] The Lightest you can get?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shmed

[Mk2] [Generic] The Lightest you can get?

Post by Shmed »

How light is the lightest Mk2 MR2 (obviously talking full stripping and not necessarily road legal)?

Is it fathomable to target ~900kg from a tin top?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
DaveB19

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The Lightest you can get?

Post by DaveB19 »

This should answer all your questions mate.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/weight.htm
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

thats a little helpful but not exactly race stripping a car.

Speak to Hurley as when he collected an engine block off me i seem to remember they had a very light mk2 - but some of it was space framed
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Thanks for the link, that's more guidance for individual items though. I'm planning on removing absolutely everything that isn't absolutely necessary, and wondered what is a realistic end weight figure. I'm considering going down to the level of rewiring the looms to have only the required cables, but if I still won't get below a ton, I don't know if I'll bother.

Not sure how much I am prepared to spend, so carbon doors may be a bridge too far, but carbon bonnet is acceptable.

Is space framing ok in things like the TSS (probably need to ask that on the TSS site really). What about the firewall between the boot and the engine bay, is that structural to the chassis?

I saw a good post from Ash about actually removing some of the skins from firewalls and the bonnet, not sure if I have the skills required though.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

unless you do everything you will get nowhere near 900kgs. thats around 350-400 kg off the std weight.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Everything as in carbon doors/panels?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nathans 9 second drag car still weighed 1050kg afaik!

and that was stripped to a bare shell, completely rewired.

its a struggle to loose 50kg, let alone 100s!

is 900kg possible, in short, maybe with a bike engine and completely stripped, but no.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=400
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

Shmed wrote:Everything as in carbon doors/panels?

like i said everything - once you remove things you dont need adding lightness costs big money - replacing items with lighter versions

also as i said speak to Hurley they have a light mk2
ashley

Post by ashley »

From what I've seen and done I'd say you will struggle to get below 1,000, especially if you have a turbo strapped to the engine. Have a search for that carbon MR2 that was built recently, they cut out a lot of exterior panels to replace with CF, can't remember what they got that down to but I don't think they were below 1,000 (maybe 1,100?)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ashley wrote:From what I've seen and done I'd say you will struggle to get below 1,000, especially if you have a turbo strapped to the engine. Have a search for that carbon MR2 that was built recently, they cut out a lot of exterior panels to replace with CF, can't remember what they got that down to but I don't think they were below 1,000 (maybe 1,100?)

yeh i have to say, though apparently all CF, i very much doubt it was even that light. id say your prob not far wrong with 1100+kg
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

for what its worth with a simple strip out - std panels and glass i got my rev1 v6 down to 1150kgs

no abs, no power steering though - was a sunroof car - lighter alloys too
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Fair enough, I just wondered if I could get a ~450hp car in a package that weighed 1000kg (including my fat self). Seems that for 450 per ton, I need more power.

Think I'm going to go for a 'free' weight loss programme and then transplant my engine from the tbar. I don't drive it on the road enough to justify insurance and other costs.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

My last MR2 Championship mk2 weighed in at 1021kgs. It was a G grade tin top, so no ABS and no PS from the factory. I stripped the car pretty much to the bone at the back but left a lot of the weight at the front for distribution purposes - full-sized standard battery, re-enforcement under the bonnet, front bumper bar etc. This was to MR2C regs as well which meant all of the glass remained, driver's window was still operational (and electric), roll cage, fire extinguisher, standard panels etc.

I think 950kgs is a realistic proposition and sub 900kgs would be possible if you really went hardcore and were prepared to spend some pound notes.

I have a ZZW30 chassis that I've stripped to the extent that I've removed non-required bulkheads with a view to going ultra-custom, ultra lightweight and with only the windscreen installed the chassis comes in at 191kgs...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

In removing the non required firewalls, do you need to do any strengthening?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “Modifications”