Mk 2 lowering springs, talk to me......

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rowey200

Mk 2 lowering springs, talk to me......

Post by rowey200 »

I want to lower the ride height of my rev 5 Mk 2 a little. What springs do people recommend I fit to the standard shockers? The Apex ones seem like a fair price and offer a 30mm drop......your thoughts please :thumleft:
ashley

Re: Mk 2 lowering springs, talk to me......

Post by ashley »

Tein S-tech work well :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

I lowered my rev5 on Apex springs. Also have adjustable shock inserts but left as-is. The ride is as good as standard, if there has been a difference I don't believe I'd ever notice.

Mud flaps do catch on speed bumps now which is a thing, and if you're going lower than -30 no flaps!

Define what you want, first - slammed, subtle, ride comfort priorities, handling...
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

synXero wrote:I lowered my rev5 on Apex springs. Also have adjustable shock inserts but left as-is. The ride is as good as standard, if there has been a difference I don't believe I'd ever notice.

Mud flaps do catch on speed bumps now which is a thing, and if you're going lower than -30 no flaps!

Define what you want, first - slammed, subtle, ride comfort priorities, handling...

The Apex springs lower about the car about 30mm all round right? Have you got a side profile pic you could load up?

I'm after a meaner stance that will not compromise comfort too much :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Do you know the springs rates of the Apex springs? I definitely wouldn't go any lower than a 30mm drop as it'll leave very little suspension travel and you'll end up bottoming out on the bumps stops over any uneven road surfaces.

I'd personally recommend a set of Eibach pro springs.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
synXero

Post by synXero »

rowey200 wrote:
synXero wrote:I lowered my rev5 on Apex springs. Also have adjustable shock inserts but left as-is. The ride is as good as standard, if there has been a difference I don't believe I'd ever notice.

The Apex springs lower about the car about 30mm all round right? Have you got a side profile pic you could load up?

I'm after a meaner stance that will not compromise comfort too much :thumleft:

Loads of photos around here:
http://thrll.com/car/1997-toyota-mr2-12845
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I've got pi racing lowering springs. I thoroughly recommend them and they drop the car to a usable height that looks like a better version of stock.

They are a little stiff though...
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

I'm looking at buying some springs soon and I had decided on the Teins. I'm interested that the Apex have had such good feedback, they are a very good price.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Apex or Eibach are both 30mm, soft ride comfort.

I was going to go with whichever I found first, turned out to be Apex.
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

I think the ride quality of the MR2 is spot on from stock, I'm a little worried the Teins may be too firm. I like the idea of the softer Apex but the 37 / 38mm drop of the Teins is what's holding me to them at the moment.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

DangerJim wrote:I think the ride quality of the MR2 is spot on from stock, I'm a little worried the Teins may be too firm. I like the idea of the softer Apex but the 37 / 38mm drop of the Teins is what's holding me to them at the moment.

Teins springs are hard. Great for track days, but for UK roads, they were the most undesirable i've ever had on my car.

Apex and Eibach are both good.
synXero

Post by synXero »

There's a great full set of adjustable shocks and lowering springs up for sale just now actually. If I hadn't just done mine, I'd be looking at that lot.
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

I've seen those in the for sale section. If I had the cash right now I'd have them straight away.

I guess Apex are leading for me now, the Eibach sound like good quality but only offer a 25mm drop.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I've just overhauled my suspension with a set of used Eibach pro springs, new Bilstein dampers, gtschris front upper mounts, gtschris boots/bump stops, gtschris drop links, new OEM upper spring cups and seals.

I had to replace the front upper mounts as the bearings/seals were in a very poor condition. Also found the upper spring cups were badly corroded and needed replacing.

Not cheap but it's completely transformed the ride quality, steering and handling, very pleased with the results.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I refreshed all of my suspension components about 4yrs ago. It's true that the Teins offer a great looking drop and that the handling is great with practically no body roll but the ride is very harsh on poor high street surfaces.... very harsh. That said it's fine at higher speeds (I matched mine with new yellow Bilsteins and TRD top mounts). Where do you do your driving?
If I were doing mine again though I'd probably go for the Apex or the Eibachs, after getting a ride in some members cars equipped with each (with stock struts if that's going to be your combo) first. Trying before you buy seems a sensible option unless there's any particular rush.
That said I do love the look of my rev1 with the greater drop of the Teins and you wont beat them if handling is the only concern.

R.
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

synXero wrote:

Lovely motor you have mate....I think, looking at your pics, a decision has been made, i'm going to pop a set of the Apex springs on :thumleft:
John145

Post by John145 »

If the lowering springs have more coils than your standard springs - AVOID. They'll be very soft and just crash straight into the bump stop.
synXero

Post by synXero »

rowey200 wrote:
synXero wrote:

Lovely motor you have mate....I think, looking at your pics, a decision has been made, i'm going to pop a set of the Apex springs on :thumleft:

:D thanks mate!

It has taken me ages to see a difference in height, which everyone else seems to notice immediately...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Earlier cars had higher ride heights anyway so since most aftermarket manufacturers 'drop' measurements use these as the base people with later cars often see little visible difference changing from sagging 13yr plus originals to unused new 'lowering' springs.

R
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

HighwayStar wrote:Earlier cars had higher ride heights anyway so since most aftermarket manufacturers 'drop' measurements use these as the base people with later cars often see little visible difference changing from sagging 13yr plus originals to unused new 'lowering' springs.

R

Good point. There was one multistory car park that I grounded my nose cone on half the exit ramps that I went down from the top floor at a snails pace. Tyre pressures were ok too. I thought it should be reasonable for my non-lowered car to use a modern refurbed car park no problem at all. The council did not agree...

I made that council aware of it so they could either make the down ramps less severe as they level out, or put up a warning sign of known cars that will have a problem before you get committed to going into the car park. (a donation to the cost of repairs would have been appreciated as it cracked my nose cone as well as scraped paint off it).
This car park had already had a major refurb and they were not interested in my comments unless I could prove negligence or summat.

They missed the main point of avoiding this problem for others.

A quick bit of research at the time identified that a car park does not have to be able to take any production road car in general use at the time it was designed/built which I was surprised about. (They aim for about 90% I think). I thought it would be common sense to allow any "normal" car to fit, and those that lower cars do so at their own risk etc etc. I guess the 90% limit or whatever it is means they dont have to worry about stretch limos and the longer estate cars, tall vans etc.

I never used that car park again.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”