To buy or not to buy?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ridge Racer

To buy or not to buy?

Post by Ridge Racer »

Hey all.

Came across this in a local garage today. They have it up for £750 but he will take offers (I can get it for about 650/600) Its an import Rev 1/2 on a H plate (can anyone confirm?).

It's not exactly a minter... its had some arch work on the N/S front wing... a very small dent on the side... some fool has done some paint work on the mirrors and the rear spoiler and added crappy fogged indicator lenses...

But this would be my first car so I'd probably prang it anyway so for a year or so it would be fine?

Heres some pictures... I've also taken some pictures of the underside... Just wondered how it looked rust wise etc (I'm not really very good at shopping for cars) I also noticed the exhaust has something on it? (See picture 5) Is it bodged up??

It also has a very small oil leak from somewhere (see picture 10, I think you can see oil... anyone got any idea where it could be coming from?) I need to ask him where its actually coming from.

MR2O12

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by MR2O12 »

looks like the flexi's blowing. i wraped some of that stuf round mine with exhaust paste but only stoped it blowing for few miles.
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Thought something was up with it when i looked. :(

Expensive to replace i would imagine...
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Initially it all looks very good. As you said, you don't want a pristine show car as your first car otherwise you will be gutted when you misjudge that gap to park in! lol.

A car that needs a little work is perfect as it will keep your interest and give you something to do/tinker with.

Bear in mind that for a first car it isnt exactly in insurance group 1. It will be pricey to insure and run as a newbie to driving. You also have to declare aftermarket modifications, eg wheels, random bits painted black, etc... which will push up premiums massively for new drivers. I love my MR2 dearly, but I personally wouldn't suggest it as a first car (just my honest opinion). Just don't let your heart guide your head (says the man that bought an amg merc that did 4mpg! lol)

If you do want it then take it for a lengthy test drive, paying careful attention to the gearbox and clutch.

In relation to the body work a couple of dings here and there isn't a big deal. Rust is becoming the issue with these cars. I couldn't see it in the photos - the place to look at is just infront of the rear wheels. These bottom sills are renowned for rotting through and are pricey to repair. If rusty then walk away as these are around £4-500 a side to sort out properly.

Personally I'd say that it looks like a good honest car :thumleft:
Definitely worth another look :D
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

+1 on the exhaust flexi - Not a major issue to sort out though

I personally wouldn't worry about the oil leak.
Its probably just a gasket or a few loose nuts - cheap enough to sort out... unless its leaking onto the alternator (as most of these do) This can cause an alternator to die and these can be pricey if you can't fit them yourself.

Where is the oil leaking from in the engine as you look at it?

cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

for the money i'd probably have it.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:27 pm Post subject:
Initially it all looks very good. As you said, you don't want a pristine show car as your first car otherwise you will be gutted when you misjudge that gap to park in! lol.

A car that needs a little work is perfect as it will keep your interest and give you something to do/tinker with.

Bear in mind that for a first car it isnt exactly in insurance group 1. It will be pricey to insure and run as a newbie to driving.

Indeed it will but the only car I've ever wanted is an MR2 so I need to start somewhere. I'm also 26 so it shouldn't be too crazy.

You also have to declare aftermarket modifications, eg wheels, random bits painted black, etc... which will push up premiums massively for new drivers.

If I did buy that car I would be putting it all back to stock. It's one thing that is putting me off the car. I hate modifications.

Where is the oil leaking from in the engine as you look at it?

I will take a look when i next go up there. I'm hoping its just a camcover gasket or something... that would be nice..
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I have to laugh at the inspection panel. That's where someone has been kneeling on it to get to the engine bay. I managed to do this myself doing an emergency repair at 1 in the morning and it looks EXACTLY like that..
craig

Post by craig »

looks clean! :shock:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

I have to laugh at the inspection panel. That's where someone has been kneeling on it to get to the engine bay. I managed to do this myself doing an emergency repair at 1 in the morning and it looks EXACTLY like that..

You mean this?

Is it easy to sort out? If i do buy it i want to put most of the bits that looks abit crap back to how it should be.

looks clean!

Yeah to be honest it is pretty clean.. the paintwork is really good considering its red... Any idea what Rev this car is?

Would it be possible to put that spoiler right? can you swap them over with a replacement spoiler or would it have to be a respray job?

Something else that caught my eye... looks like its had a new part fitted recently...

New suspension strut or something!?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Ridge Racer wrote:New suspension strut or something!?

Droplink. Common MOT failure and source of knocking noises.
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

I shall assume its recently passed an MOT then :D
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Ridge Racer wrote:

I shall assume its recently passed an MOT then :D

It's certainly a good sign that it's received recent attention. :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Full details can be found on the eBay advert that I just found :thumleft:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-GT ... 416cb58286

Tsia

Post by Tsia »

And yes the dent in the inspection panel is easy to fix. You just directly replace it, just ask anyone breaking their MR2 or just wait for some to come up for sale :thumleft:

Minor thing, anyway.
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Dont know if you noticed but in the ebay pictures it has the standard alloys, so if you are looking to put it back stanard id ask him if he still had the wheels. (just an idea)
craig

Post by craig »

Car is a rev 1 import mate. 1989-1992.

Spoiler is easily removed and replaced with another one in the correct colour. I'd change the rubber gasket between spoiler and boot lid when you do though, and give it a good clean underneath. :thumleft:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Full details can be found on the eBay advert that I just found

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-GT ... 416cb58286

That isn't the same car, diff reg number / plate also it has side repeaters which the one I'm looking at doesn't... thats pretty wierd though it does look ALOT like it :lol:

And yes the dent in the inspection panel is easy to fix. You just directly replace it, just ask anyone breaking their MR2 or just wait for some to come up for sale

Minor thing, anyway.

Good news! :)

Spoiler is easily removed and replaced with another one in the correct colour. I'd change the rubber gasket between spoiler and boot lid when you do though, and give it a good clean underneath.

Also good news!

One other thing i noticed... this part here doesn't look right?

This is all good stuff as it gives me ammo to bargain with him... "I'll want to sort this which will cost xx... so..." :twisted:

Would you all say its worth the money? I think i could get it for around 650/600... perhaps abit less because I'm pretty sure he didn't mention the flexi being bodged...

Is the rev 1 a good revision to buy? I remember hearing on here that they had afew minor issues which were later sorted in the later revisions...?

Thanks for all your help with my questions guys I really appreciated it.
craig

Post by craig »

Nothing wrong with a rev1 in my opinion. They sorted the handling out on rev2+ and fitted bigger brakes.

Parts from rev2+ can be retro fitted onto a rev1.

Car looks like its had a respray. I'd check it out under the boot carpet and frunk under the spare wheel for crash damage, and also to see what colour it was originally. Also check v5 and do a hpi check :thumleft:

If all good, I'd offer £600 for it, and go from there
:thumleft:
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

Nothing wrong with a rev1 in my opinion. They sorted the handling out on rev2+ and fitted bigger brakes.

What was the actual problem with the handling? Perhaps as a new driver i would be better off with one without handling issues?

Car looks like its had a respray. I'd check it out under the boot carpet and frunk under the spare wheel for crash damage, and also to see what colour it was originally. Also check v5 and do a hpi check

Hawk eye :clap: :lol: How could you tell that? It's defiantly had work done to the front wing because the paint work isn't as good there as the rest of the car. Do you see any signs of it being more than that?!.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”