'94 Rev 3 MR2 Turbo - MOT Emissions test - DECAT

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shabz

'94 Rev 3 MR2 Turbo - MOT Emissions test - DECAT

Post by shabz »

So far I've never had a problem passing MOT with a decat because the car is imported the chasis number isn't registered with VOSA and so they have to test it as a non-cat car or something like that lol

Anyways I heard the rules have changed in April????

My MOT is in 2 hours :( Anyone know if I can pass the test? :-k
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: '94 Rev 3 MR2 Turbo - MOT Emissions test - DECAT

Post by Peter Gidden »

The emissions regs. have not changed so still a non-CAT test.

However, there is a new rule saying that if the car had a cat when manufactured, it must be present for the MOT...

HOWEVER, since the car is not on VOSA's database, how does the tester know whether it had a cat when built? He doesn't, and he must give benefit of doubt in favour of the casr owner.

So, bottom line - nothing has changed. :thumleft:
shabz

Post by shabz »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:The emissions regs. have not changed so still a non-CAT test.

However, there is a new rule saying that if the car had a cat when manufactured, it must be present for the MOT...

HOWEVER, since the car is not on VOSA's database, how does the tester know whether it had a cat when built? He doesn't, and he must give benefit of doubt in favour of the casr owner.

So, bottom line - nothing has changed. :thumleft:

YAY :D :D :D :D

problem is I just called the MOT tester and he's being a bit of a knob lol...he obviously hasn't checked the rules and says that he's got MR2 on his database- I told him its a turbo but he wont listen...so I'm trying to find somewhere on the VOSA site that states this? Any idea? will print it off and show him
shabz

Post by shabz »

got it!

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special%2 ... Manual.pdf

section 7.3 page 9 for anyone thats having problems with a clueless MOT tester :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

shabz wrote:problem is I just called the MOT tester and he's being a bit of a knob lol

Find one that isn't a knob????
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

VOSA actually publish the list as well. The lookup is based on chassis type sold with particular engine model. So if it looks up SW20 it will only find 3S-GE and obviously yours has a 3S-GTE.

List is here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/inserviceexh ... hicles.htm

However, if you p1$$ your MOT tester off and prove that he isn't doing his job properly, he is more likely to really scrutinise your car and fail it on the smallest inconsiderable thing he can! People don't like being told that they are doing the thing they do day in day out wrong.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

posted from twobrutal, never needed to try it but the thicko in me wants to have a go :roll:

the bit I never get over with this, is the very simple request for form VT12.

Its the appeals form.

Basically, if the tester can't be ar$ed to do his job correctly, as for form VT12. You'll pay another test fee, only this time, VOSA does the inspection. If found to be fine, you're refunded, certified and the tester gets his ar$e royally roasted by VOSA.

Now, normally, the moment you ask for the VT12 form, testers become suddenly become a whole lot more receptive, because VOSA have the power to shut down a test station with immediate effect.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Did you get that from Jiff Lemon by any chance? :) He is always first to suggest that whenever I whinge about MOT testers!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
shabz wrote:problem is I just called the MOT tester and he's being a bit of a knob lol

Find one that isn't a knob????

Is that a suggestion or a challenge!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toxo wrote:Did you get that from Jiff Lemon by any chance? :) He is always first to suggest that whenever I whinge about MOT testers!

i think it might have been :D
JD

Post by JD »

Just found this thread whilst having a similar problem. I might ask for a VT12 and see what happens.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Nic

Post by Nic »

JD wrote:Just found this thread whilst having a similar problem. I might ask for a VT12 and see what happens.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

From the 1st August 1995 to 31st August 2002 even if a car is not listed in the Annex they HAVE to do CAT test. Page 10 table 1 in following link.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/E ... dition.pdf
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I took my car to the same mot test centre that it had failed at two weeks or three weeks previously. The tester (a different one ) was mystified to why my car was failing on the emissions but passed previously. They had run a cat test rather than a non cat test.

I'd even said to the one guy it's an import and before could say anything he said yeah I know I probably imported it. ( from previous mot he said he'd done a lot of Mr2 import work(not so sure about that)). So I assumed they were running a non cat test for a pre 95 car. Got it sorted in the end but assumption can be a b1tch. They saw a cat (empty ) and I thought we were on the same song sheet.

I really felt like I was lucky to pass on a mot on a car that had nothing wrong with it.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I took my car to the same mot test centre that it had failed at two weeks or three weeks previously. The tester (a different one ) was mystified to why my car was failing on the emissions but passed previously. They had run a cat test rather than a non cat test.

I'd even said to the one guy it's an import and before could say anything he said yeah I know I probably imported it. ( from previous mot he said he'd done a lot of Mr2 import work(not so sure about that)). So I assumed they were running a non cat test for a pre 95 car. Got it sorted in the end but assumption can be a b1tch. They saw a cat (empty ) and I thought we were on the same song sheet.

I really felt like I was lucky to pass on a mot on a car that had nothing wrong with it.
Harold

Post by Harold »

How do you make a double post but 24 hours apart?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Harold wrote:How do you make a double post but 24 hours apart?

Because it was such a good post he wanted to post it twice? :lol:
No 2 :(
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

MR2 Rich wrote:
Harold wrote:How do you make a double post but 24 hours apart?

Because it was such a good post he wanted to post it twice? :lol:

Ho ho, no it was because I had drank far too much read wine and decided to post about something that had annoyed me. Somehow I re-posted an hour later. The downside of having a smart phone is it is sometimes a bit easy to connected to the net when really you shouldn't.
Just trying to make sure no one else gets messed around by a tester who makes it up as they go along.

At least my post was related to the thread even if it was a crap story :D
jspecwoody

Post by jspecwoody »

I'm a new, old poster, just getting my rev3 turbo back on the road. took it for an mot this morning and the guy failed it.

I used the "no uk equivalent" like usual and he said the law had changed and that every car post 1992 has to now have a cat.

I saw the law change about diesels online , but nothing about passenger cars.

Is he talking out of his :cyclops: ?
bashracing

Post by bashracing »

just been talking about this situation, check it out in the mechanical section
thread ''japspeed decat''

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”