[Mk2] [Turbo] in the process of getting a boost controller, but cant decide which one.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

woods967

[Mk2] [Turbo] in the process of getting a boost controller, but cant decide which one.

Post by woods967 »

hi,

im just about to purchase a electronic boost controller.

i was told by a friend to get the greddy profec b spec 2.
but just to make sure i put a post on the mr2oc.

not that i dont trust them, i want to get another perspective.
they reccomended a gizzmo ms-ibc.

so just need a bit more info before i decide.

they also said the spec 2 suffers from boost creep and spiking so im a bit put of it now.

cheers sam
2barGee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] in the process of getting a boost controller, but cant decide which one.

Post by 2barGee »

I used a greddy spec 2 for years at different power levels 250-450bhp & it was 100% spot on and I do loads of track day and boost spikes are a no no or it's game over engine. You can set it to bring the boost back down if it does over boost anyway.

If you exhaust is too free flowing it can cause boost spike issues but that's nothing to do with the bc if it's set up correctly. :thumleft:
woods967

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] in the process of getting a boost controller, but cant decide which one.

Post by woods967 »

thanks gee man.

bit worried now because i have a full exshaust.
also is it true if i run 1 bar of boost,
the internals will suffer.
the ringlands in partiicular. i read somewhere on hear.

oh yeah its a rev 1 incase you need to no.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I like the b2. More control than many and does what it says on the tin. Not full of pointless modes, lights etc.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

I have a blitz sbc 3 does the job fine BUT as luke has mentioned above it has loads of features that I will never use
woods967

Post by woods967 »

thanks guys.

still cant make my mind up. ](*,)
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

the AEM one looks real good...

i dont know about the 1 bar horror storys, i run 20psi on a stock rev2 engine with a bigger turbo...
woods967

Post by woods967 »

T.F.S. wrote:

i dont know about the 1 bar horror storys, i run 20psi on a stock rev2 engine with a bigger turbo...

woah 20 psi on standard internals how long have you been running that set up.

im a little bit put off getting one at the moment..
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

^^^^^ it just goes to show that convention doesn't always win out mate...20 psi but with a water/meth kit and Link ecu.
If your worried about it, then why bother with one...and it really doesn't matter which one as long as your savvy enough to learn how to use it.
Popular opinion is the rev1 and 2 pistons can suffer ringland damage with the standard fueling copeing with more than 1 bar of boost, rev3 + seem to take a bit more stick...1.2 bar-ish...I've read a lot of threads from guys who have gone through multiple engines in the search for power..they all pretty much say the same on the ringland issue...it's detonation that fks them though isn't it.
One of the afore mentioned boost controllers actually turns the boost down if it detects a spike, fkn great stuff...go for that one and enjoy a safe .9 bar....then prepare yourself to feed the addiction as it grows :thumleft: I have an AVCR, it does everything I want, but has other features that can get confusing when your not an engine tuner...and it's hooooj....in the ideal world, I would like a solid, safe reliable boost controller that had an accurate display, was discreet with an "on/off" button pre set to max boost possible...multiple settings are prob more applicable to guys with really powerfull cars.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

woods967 wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:

woah 20 psi on standard internals how long have you been running that set up.

im a little bit put off getting one at the moment..

long enough to dispell the 1 bar bull$h1t story as a complete myth lol

its been running at over 17psi for years now, stock headgasket/engine and 95 ron fuel

personally i use a cheap £18 MBC to control boost
woods967

Post by woods967 »

thanks guys a great help. guess i will find one witch detects spikes and turns it down.

not sure if the gizzmo does this but im sure the greddy does.
i will try some research and see what comes up.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

I have an early gizzmo which runs up to 2 bar,later ones 3.5.

If its cold then I need to drop the boost a little as it will run too high,think later ones do it for you. :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

greddy spec 2 reduces the boost IIRC
woods967

Post by woods967 »

Phill P wrote:
,think later ones do it for you. :thumleft:

thanks buddy i will have a look. :thumleft:
mark239

Post by mark239 »

turbosmart stuff is decent
woods967

Post by woods967 »

yeah i i like turbo smart.

im edging towards a ms-ibc at the moment.
as ive only heard one person not having problems with the profec b..

Return to “Modifications”