....And Finally - IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! Well -it WAS...For 50miles...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

B L Zebub

....And Finally - IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! Well -it WAS...For 50miles...

Post by B L Zebub »

My Rev 2 G-Ltd popped its clogs last June when its bottom-end let go, and has sulked on the drive until January this year, when I bought another member's spare engine and pulled out the defective one from the car - and let me tell you, it's a b1tch of a job!!!

Due to one oddity & another (and a distinct shortage of ready cash), I cannibalised the two engines into one good one, leaving me with a big box of good spares as back-up - but owing to job & its call-out rota, the car's languished on axle stands since then, with me only completing the engine re-assembly on Good Friday, then refitting it on May Day Bank Hol' (with assistance, I hasten to add - definitely NOT a one-man job!).

Tuesday, I had only to tighten one bolt and the air-con pump tensioner pulley nut, then fill with oil (5w-30 Performance stuff) and coolant (de-ionised water/antifreeze mix), then the magical (but extremely stressful) first turn-over with the HT coil disconnected, to circulate oil gently & check for leaks...

Aaaaargh! A waft of petrol fumes - I'd missed the banjo-bolt washers from the feed pipe on the filter... Dashed out for new ones... Back home, fitted washers, HT Coil connected - the big moment! "TIZZZ-VAROOOOM!" FIRST GO, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE!!! :lol:

Ah, so satisfying, so grin-inducing...until I looked underneath & saw water dripping steadily from bits & bobs... Transpired to be leaking from head gasket! Frantic calls & forum requests later, I whipped off the cam cover again, gave the head bolts that last quarter-turn - job's a good 'un! \:D/

So, finally, it's a runner again, MoT & tax tomorrow, and I'm hoping to enjoy this summer's meets at last, as I missed last year's... See you about!! :thumleft:
Last edited by B L Zebub on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieL

Re: ....And Finally - IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! Well -it WAS...For 50miles...

Post by StevieL »

Good job mate, good luck with the MOT :thumleft:
B L Zebub

Oh, sh*t!!!

Post by B L Zebub »

Well - I've been there, got the MoT (YESSSSS!)...but also got a dud bottom end yet AGAIN!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pale:

I just can't believe it - I got to the MoT centre, hard that horrible knocky-rattle and felt like the floor had opened up; all that hard work, for NOWT!

Good thing is that, having been under the car whilst it was up on the lift, I saw how much easier it will be to loosen the exhaust, pull the sump and replace the shells (again), only this time, I'm going to give it a full flush-out, as well as test the little spray-nozzles that squirt oil up the bores - possible that No1 and/or No2 could be blocked (anyone know if these nozzles are push-fit or screw in, please?).

I'll get back to you....
planted1

Post by planted1 »

I didnt think you had oil squirters on a gltd,or any other na.

Well done on all the hard work though,it aint easy.

steve
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

IIRC the squirters are attached with 5mm hex bit heads but it could have been 6mm.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Just as an aside, the jets are there purely (at least by design) to cool the underside of the pistons, not to provide any additional lubrication.
ashley

Post by ashley »

planted1 wrote:I didnt think you had oil squirters on a gltd,or any other na.

Well done on all the hard work though,it aint easy.

steve

Oil squirters are on both NA and Tubby blocks :thumleft:
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Slarty wrote:Just as an aside, the jets are there purely (at least by design) to cool the underside of the pistons, not to provide any additional lubrication.

So, how do the big ends get lubricated? There isn't an oil-way inside the crankshaft that I could see, unless it's microscopic...

All I could find in the way of oil-feeds are small holes in one side of the top of the big-end 'arch' of the con-rod and corresponding holes in the top shell, but no holes in the crank journal....? :-k

I'm not niggling, here - I need to know how these bearings are oiled, to avert yet another failure. 8-[
ashley

Post by ashley »

B L Zebub wrote:So, how do the big ends get lubricated? There isn't an oil-way inside the crankshaft that I could see, unless it's microscopic...

All I could find in the way of oil-feeds are small holes in one side of the top of the big-end 'arch' of the con-rod and corresponding holes in the top shell, but no holes in the crank journal....?

You need to take another look at the crankshaft- there are oil feed holes on all the journals, mains and big ends :thumleft:
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Ooops! It's dark under that car...and maybe I was in too much of a hurry, eh? :roll:

Thanks for that , Ashman, and thanks also to 'abovetherim' for the info' on the squirty-nozzle fixings - all appreciated!
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

...And the last episode of the sorry saga: It's GONE...

Yep - I worked a deal with a local "trader" to part-exchange the MR2 for a replacement 4X4 (as my poor old Daihatsu bit the tarmac in violent fashion!).
I will say, though, that if you come across K442 RBK, it'll have a damaged engine as well as some body damage, as the said deceased Daihatsu donked it as it jack-knifed, towing the MR2 on a trailer - a long story, but when I traded the car in, the buyer gave it a hefty bootful down the road...and returned with a very rattly set of big-ends!! Failed, yet again! :pale: It's mystery to me, why the bloody shells keep failing on No2, as the oilway was totally clear & pee'd oil in my eye when I rotated the crankshaft, last time under... :-k

So, if the car didn't end up in a scrap/breakers yard for parting-out, if it lands up back on the road, it'll probably need a replacement crankshaft and possibly an oil-pump. If you find it & buy it, and you're in East Anglia, I've got a complete 3S-GE engine with a perfect crankshaft & good oil-pump for the car, stripped for inspection, that I can sell you...

Knew I should've swapped it in, in the first place - would've saved me a lot of hassle & heartache, believe me!
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Crank may have been out of shape, bore may have been ovaled.

You never know.

Did you test the crank for roundness?

When I did mine, it was something like 0.0025 every 1/4 turn and believe me, it was a bu88er to manually turn over an engine. Forgot to take the sparks out ](*,)

Better luck with your next project :thumleft:

A few of us have been there and done that so your not the only one.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”