[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

T.F.S.

[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by T.F.S. »

hi

i wasnt going to do this thread on here but seeing as im asking chip to do some mapping on the car i thought i might load some pics up...

the MR2 we have owned for about 6 years now and TBH its never actually gone wrong...never broke down, only ever asks for tyres and brake pads.., its the light version of the MR2 with no ABS or traction control etc etc, weighs around 1200kg or maybe less with the amount of crap i have removed from the engine bay recently

with the sale of the GTR and me buying a lardy 300bhp mercs N/A i thought it would be nice to have a decent turbo car for the friday night burn

spec is...

GT3071R, polished, V band option, 4" inlet
motoria (xs power) manifold
XS power downpipe
XS power external wastegate (life expectency= not very long...)
XS power intercooler with shroud and spal 8" puller fan
VSV, TVIS removed
Custom billet fuel rail
870CC Delphi Injectors
FSE adj regulator
aquamist H20/ethanol injection
EGT guage
AEM wideband
oil pressure guage
boost guage
link ECU
expected power output somewhere around 400bhp hopefully :)

this is an ongoing build, ill be ading pics over the next few days/weeks

3071R

intercooler with fan

current state of progress..

everyone seems to take the stock route for the inlet pipe which is over the top of the exhaust manifold...TBH there is not an ideal route for the inlet, wherever you try to put it there is heat nearby

i tried to go under the car rather than above the hot manifold, i can say for sure that this is better but if nothing else its different (havent seen anyone take this route)

i used 60mm flexi pipe and a 45 degree bend, heat wrapped for good measure

downpipe heatwrapped

dry fit

not much room down there but we can keep an eye on inlet temps..

opinions welcome
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by Martin F »

I wouldn't be expecting to much from the xs intercooler, definately no where near 400 bhp sorry to say, any pics of the car, what internals is she running ?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

yes the XS intercooler seems to be the weak link, internals are stock for now but i build a lot of engines so ill most likely have one built up before this one expires...i was told they have quite high power handling as stock though so maybe i wont lol

380bhp is "near" 400bhp and i dont think that is a bridge too far

quite a few more pics and stuff to come, just posted this thread for interest really
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

400bhp and stock internals?

i suppose the turbos quite big, so the boost will be lower (if slower to to come on)...but still....
Marf

Post by Marf »

I think someones been listening to the guys on MR2OC.com :whistle:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

stock rev1/2 headgasket?

another weak point perhaps.

still nice project.
kev_mr2

Post by kev_mr2 »

As above. Id change the head gasket and bolts as my last mr2 suffered from headlift when it reached around 1 bar of boost.

Why not heat wrap the tubular manifold aswell?

imo this is a shame cos it seems like you have cut a few corners with the build, for example, head gasket and a set of forged pistons atleast. then your expected bhp level can be met quite safely and maybe make a bit more than that with a better intercooler/charge cooler.

these are what id say are the first parts that are going to let you down.

Your spec list is similar to mines but im using a charge cooler and replaced the headgasket and using forged bottom end and im hoping to acheive 500+bhp quite safely engine wise.

Spend a bit extra and you wont regret it lol

Nice build tho i must say. looks the part
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

no i dont go on mr2oc, i am just doing the usual mods that i do TBH...i did have a quick look through some of the american forums though

heat wrapping the manifold is always a bad idea IMO, it just retains moisture/heat and they crack, most decent manifold manufactors state not to wrap or warrenty is void

head gasket failure isnt boost related its cylinder pressure related (rare) and detonation related (normal), i have worked on a few 400bhp 2.0 engines that retained the stock head gasket, the truth is that detonation normally kills the gasket which is the same story with the pistons...many tuners recommend uprating the gasket even with a mild increase in power and many tune 400bhp+bhp cars with stock cars that drift and race regularly

my old calibra turbo with a crappy stock vauxhall engine took 280bhp with conventional power increases (chip boost increased from 9 to 22psi) and then another 100bhp of nitrous, never changed the gasket, took well over a year of daily abuse running 12 second quaters on the 100k engine till it eventually threw a rod through the block

the parameters that i think are important are duty cycles and rpm

but as mentioned i may build up an engine for future use, i may even change the clutch too lol

ill try to stick a few more pics up later but keep the opinions coming guys
JJ

Post by JJ »

Whilst you sound competant in what you're doing, Id also recommend some preventative measures in cracking of the manifold / downpipe assembly ... I dont know if its possible to brace / secure the flange from the turbo to the block somewhere....

Consider some poly pushes for the front and rear engine mounts, they do assist in not pulling the manifold off after every hard launch... :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

T.F.S. wrote:no i dont go on mr2oc, i am just doing the usual mods that i do TBH...i did have a quick look through some of the american forums though

heat wrapping the manifold is always a bad idea IMO, it just retains moisture/heat and they crack, most decent manifold manufactors state not to wrap or warrenty is void

head gasket failure isnt boost related its cylinder pressure related (rare) and detonation related (normal), i have worked on a few 400bhp 2.0 engines that retained the stock head gasket, the truth is that detonation normally kills the gasket which is the same story with the pistons...many tuners recommend uprating the gasket even with a mild increase in power and many tune 400bhp+bhp cars with stock cars that drift and race regularly

my old calibra turbo with a crappy stock vauxhall engine took 280bhp with conventional power increases (chip boost increased from 9 to 22psi) and then another 100bhp of nitrous, never changed the gasket, took well over a year of daily abuse running 12 second quaters on the 100k engine till it eventually threw a rod through the block

the parameters that i think are important are duty cycles and rpm

but as mentioned i may build up an engine for future use, i may even change the clutch too lol

ill try to stick a few more pics up later but keep the opinions coming guys

Rev1/2s have a paper head gasket, worth changing for the metal Rev3 gasket.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

JJ wrote:Whilst you sound competant in what you're doing, Id also recommend some preventative measures in cracking of the manifold / downpipe assembly ... I dont know if its possible to brace / secure the flange from the turbo to the block somewhere....

Consider some poly pushes for the front and rear engine mounts, they do assist in not pulling the manifold off after every hard launch... :thumleft:

good advice there, bracing and slotting the manifold is always a good idea
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

RobCrezz wrote:

thats fine for me right now, all the gaskets i mentioned above were normal paper ones
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

T.F.S. wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

thats fine for me right now, all the gaskets i mentioned above were normal paper ones

Ok cool, although there are a few guys on here who have had the paper one blow at 1bar on the standard CT26 turbo.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

been running mine at 1bar for about 5 years now TBH...

but then my engine does not detonate... (well at the moment i can say that lol!!)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

T.F.S. wrote:been running mine at 1bar for about 5 years now TBH...

but then my engine does not detonate... (well at the moment i can say that lol!!)

Cool, go for it! Worth a try! 8)
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

RobCrezz wrote:
Cool, go for it! Worth a try! 8)

and thats exactly my attatude towards it!!!

i quite like this site!! :clap:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Is the turbo unit part of the XS power kit or was it bought separately from a Garrett dealer?

Look forward to seeing your results? :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

genuine garrent american made GT3071R goodness!!!

i know a few people that run XS turbos on skylines and they are ok (dont believe the bull$h1t glue storys)
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:

head gasket failure isnt boost related its cylinder pressure related (rare) and detonation related (normal).... the truth is that detonation normally kills the gasket which is the same story with the pistons...

True detonation is a killer, but detonation does increase cylinder pressures abnormally so i guess there related :)

You can use the stock paper gasket as a kind of fuse :mrgreen:

the yanks have pushed the rev1/2 to 25+psi boost and 500+ but its a very fine line keepingit intact, one severe detonation event and bye bye gasket/pistons :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

T.F.S. wrote:genuine garrent american made GT3071R goodness!!!

i know a few people that run XS turbos on skylines and they are ok (dont believe the bull$h1t glue storys)

I was half hoping it would be an XS power 3071 as would be good to see how they performed compared to the genuine ones. As you say there are a lot of horror stories out there - a lot of them sound really bad - ie. turbo lasted 3 days etc. But those turbos do come temptingly cheap :eye:

Return to “Modifications”