[Mk2] [Turbo] Big power

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turbloide2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Big power

Post by turbloide2 »

Hi all this might seam a bit of an odd one......

Im now at the stage where i sell up and buy a 400+ hp pulsar
or i up my power to around 400+
My only concern is how drivable is the car going to be.
Ive tried to look for vids and find info.

my best friend has just purchased dp motorsports 500hp pulsar which is a 10.8 sec 1/4 car at the moment.
Im obsiouly wanting to keep up as i always do but im just not sure if a 400+ hp mr2 is the way...........
I dont want to put x amount of cash getting the power and tourqe if its just going to usable any info would be great and thanks.

Or if any one with a "high" powered mr2 would be willing to take me for a ride and give some feedback please pm me.

Danny
tarmac terrorist

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Big power

Post by tarmac terrorist »

stick with the mr2 4x4 is for wimps mate lol. im running mine in at the mo other wise i would of took you out init. 400hp plus mr2 is a mans car,also nissan build quility is poo compared to toyota my friend had a pulsar & things would fall off it all the time stick with the mr2 if its just a power thing ,if its for other reasons as well (you want a 4x4) then go for an evo
JJ

Post by JJ »

Come to the north east with the Pulsar, I'll show you how an MR2 can get past it ! :mrgreen:

Qrt miles a challenge though... Pulsar hooks up very well....

No disrespect to the Pulsars, but they're not ageing very well.... Cheese grater box springs to mind...
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
chron

Post by chron »

400+ hp pulsar - that will not last very long.

i know several people who have owned one and had nothing but problems. the boy that has a workshop next door to me has gone through 3 gearboxes and hes not exactly got huge HP.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Its not OVERLY difficult to get decent power out of the 2.....reve 3+ is simple to get say 330bhp out of it, but if you wanted more i'd go down the route of forged rebuild and bigger turbo, i still dont think 400bhp will realyl get you near a 10.8 though.

Think you would need 500+ to even think of getting near 10's! Pulsars notoriously hook up well on the 1/4 mile

will all depend on how your car is set up i guess though. but your prob looking at 330bhp or something for even a 12.5! Taking much more time off will start to be difficult without, rebuilds and big lairy turbo's etc
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Turbo97 wrote:Its not OVERLY difficult to get decent power out of the 2.....reve 3+ is simple to get say 330bhp out of it, but if you wanted more i'd go down the route of forged rebuild and bigger turbo, i still dont think 400bhp will realyl get you near a 10.8 though.

Think you would need 500+ to even think of getting near 10's! Pulsars notoriously hook up well on the 1/4 mile

I assume the pulsar is running 500 WHP ? which , given 4x4 transmission would mean he has to be running about 800 fly bhp (given an estimated 35% trans losse)

If he is running 500 Fly bhp , then after a 35% loss (which is a generous guess!), thats 325whp -which ;and correct me if im wrong, shouldn't be anywhere near enough to get in the 10's unless it had the weight of an ariel atom!!

However,there is an mr2 guy in the usa running 450bhp on a 3076r ,with a standard head (except cams), std rev2 inlet and a CC (iirc) which run 10.88 but he was on C16.

Turbo97.. i dont really agree that 4wd has any benefits over a Mid engine RWD on the drag strip. 4wd's suffer from bad transmission losses and the grip advantage is only useful in slippery conditions.

Watch any drag car, or drag mr2 even.. Nice set of drag tyres on the back, 2-step launch and they will be track standing! they wont be doing that if they cannot grip!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

turbloide2 wrote:Hi all this might seam a bit of an odd one......

Im now at the stage where i sell up and buy a 400+ hp pulsar
or i up my power to around 400+
My only concern is how drivable is the car going to be.
Ive tried to look for vids and find info.

my best friend has just purchased dp motorsports 500hp pulsar which is a 10.8 sec 1/4 car at the moment.
Im obsiouly wanting to keep up as i always do but im just not sure if a 400+ hp mr2 is the way...........
I dont want to put x amount of cash getting the power and tourqe if its just going to usable any info would be great and thanks.

Or if any one with a "high" powered mr2 would be willing to take me for a ride and give some feedback please pm me.

Danny

10.8 1/4 with just 500bhp? really?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

pretty sure ive heard of 300-320hp pulsars getting into the 11s.
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

JJ wrote:Come to the north east with the Pulsar, I'll show you how an MR2 can get past it ! :mrgreen:

Qrt miles a challenge though... Pulsar hooks up very well....

No disrespect to the Pulsars, but they're not ageing very well.... Cheese grater box springs to mind...

Haha yup,as you showed me on Friday.........still have whiplash lol

.....Was worth it though :thumleft: :thumleft:
Last edited by BiGWiLlYsTyLe on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

RyanRs wrote:
Turbo97 wrote:Its not OVERLY difficult to get decent power out of the 2.....reve 3+ is simple to get say 330bhp out of it, but if you wanted more i'd go down the route of forged rebuild and bigger turbo, i still dont think 400bhp will realyl get you near a 10.8 though.

I assume the pulsar is running 500 WHP ? which , given 4x4 transmission would mean he has to be running about 800 fly bhp (given an estimated 35% trans losse)

If he is running 500 Fly bhp , then after a 35% loss (which is a generous guess!), thats 325whp -which ;and correct me if im wrong, shouldn't be anywhere near enough to get in the 10's unless it had the weight of an ariel atom!!

However,there is an mr2 guy in the usa running 450bhp on a 3076r ,with a standard head (except cams), std rev2 inlet and a CC (iirc) which run 10.88 but he was on C16.

Turbo97.. i dont really agree that 4wd has any benefits over a Mid engine RWD on the drag strip. 4wd's suffer from bad transmission losses and the grip advantage is only useful in slippery conditions.

Watch any drag car, or drag mr2 even.. Nice set of drag tyres on the back, 2-step launch and they will be track standing! they wont be doing that if they cannot grip!

yeh that is a good point, i would defo think it would be 500bhp at the wheels....didnt think whether it would be fly, or wheel.

but here, when did i mention i thought 4wd benefitted more on the 1/4 than rear wheel 2's? I have an MR2 turbo remember and i have done the 1/4 mile against 300bhp evo's and scoobys and beat them. I know 4WD suffer dreadful transmission loss's. I easily stayed with the 4WD boys if not beat them off the line on the 1/4....i am only running just over standard power...about 260bhp.

I was just stating, i think the Pulsar's hook up extremely well off the line! Imo, better than scoobs and impreza's and maybe about the same as an mr2 turbo,(MAYBE ever so slightly)...but depends on the driver :).

@ Jim, i'm not sure abotu that lad :S I'm fairly certain the Pulsars at crail when i was up....3 of them i think, none of them ran near 11's! And pulsars arent exactly the type of car you see standard! fairly certain they werent. Yeh you can take into account xxxx drivers etc. but one of the pulsars only did one run and got a 13.5, one of them did two runs and got 14.2 and 14.5(must be a crap driver #-o )and the other pulsar ran about 12 times and had times varying from 14.2 and got quicker along the day and quickest was a 13 flat. So i dont think you'll find 300-320 bhp pulsars running in the 11's...depends if your talking fly or wheel bhp here i suppose though :) Just my 2p :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

perhaps i misread. but i used to get the jtuner mag when it was out, and they did a shoot out each month with different cars. 0-60, 0-100, 1/4mile etc etc.
a few members on here represented the mr2 gang.

but the pulsars, with 300+hp with hitting 0-60 in the 3.5s!
turbloide2

Post by turbloide2 »

Hi all im still undecided ive found a pulsar running 430hp but i really like the mr2.....

This is my best mates pulsar at totb he ran 10.8
And this year hopes to make low 10s. Its fully road legal running toyo 888
not slicks.

10.8 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZRW1uTZ0Q

dyno run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRZ9ia_ytU

Power is 489hp fly and 381 wheel

The thing thats stoping me building the mr2 up is just how drivable its going to be, is it just going to want to throw the rear of the car all over no matter what.....

Cheers
danny
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

All this talk about 1/4 mile times and bhp any one taken into consideration the driver skills :clown:
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Leakie Tbar wrote:All this talk about 1/4 mile times and bhp any one taken into consideration the driver skills :clown:

Yes :)

Imo, better than scoobs and impreza's and maybe about the same as an mr2 turbo,(MAYBE ever so slightly)...but depends on the driver

AND

one of them did two runs and got 14.2 and 14.5(must be a crap driver #-o )

Jim....im not doubting you personally, but i just cant for the world beleive a pulsar with 300+ (depends how big that plus is :lol: ) can do 0-60's of 3.5 secs

thats supercar fast!!! i want facts :^o

:P That of course is just my thoughts, but imo you would need double at least the power to be getting 3.5 secs to 60.....surely???[/b]
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Turbo97 wrote:
Leakie Tbar wrote:All this talk about 1/4 mile times and bhp any one taken into consideration the driver skills :clown:

Yes :)

Imo, better than scoobs and impreza's and maybe about the same as an mr2 turbo,(MAYBE ever so slightly)...but depends on the driver

AND

one of them did two runs and got 14.2 and 14.5(must be a crap driver #-o )

Jim....im not doubting you personally, but i just cant for the world beleive a pulsar with 300+ (depends how big that plus is :lol: ) can do 0-60's of 3.5 secs

thats supercar fast!!! i want facts :^o

:P That of course is just my thoughts, but imo you would need double at least the power to be getting 3.5 secs to 60.....surely???[/b]

have a look at the old jtuner mags.
plenty of FACTS in there with regards to the state of the art timing gear they used to measure the times. a few of the 280-350hp pulsars were hitting 0-60 in the 3s. ill find an old mag in the garage soon.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

cheers lad, if that is the case....would be good to see :thumleft:

Unfortunately not been involved long enough in the jap scene to have any of the old mags im afraid :(
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

you need a pulsar that does 9s, so no one can see you in it.

Id rather be seen in the back of aco-op car in a wooden box personally.

Graeme
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I remember the magazines and pulsar figures Jim is talking about - Jtuner was one of my favourites :thumleft:

Actually I wouldn't be massively surprised with 3.5 seconds 0-60 for a 300 to 400 BHP car with 4WD. The extra grip off the line is a definate advantage (though we're not far behind with our Mid engined layout \:D/ ) and for 0-60mph times the launch is arguably the most important part as each 0.1 second off the 60 foot time is worth roughly 0.2 seconds off the 0-60 time at that power level from what I've seen on my G-tech Pro RR.

For example approx. 2.0 second 60 foot time on my G-tech at say around 315WHP on my car usually registers 4.3 to 4.4s 0-60mph.

Approx. 1.9 second 60 foot time will show about 4.1 to 4.2s 0-60mph and approx. 1.8 second 60 foot time registered between 3.9 to 4 seconds 0-60mph (both at the same power level).

Considering some people can get 60 foot times of between 1.4 and 1.7s when they launch aggressively (usually on a 2 step) there is going to be a large variety of 0-60mph times achievable at the same WHP level assuming you don't mind putting that much stress on the car :lol:
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

To be fair,although you can get high power out of a Pulsar and quick 1/4 mile times,i would much rather be seen in an MR2 any day as Pulsars look dated and like an old person should be behind the wheel.

You can get alot of power out of an MR2 as a few people on this website have high BHP MR2's (JJ,Century Motosport etc...) and im sure any of these would eat up just about any High Spec car.

I say go and modify your MR2 :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

poke out your eyes and chop off your fingers you pulsar haters. They're a pretty awesome weapon in the right state of tune

Return to “Modifications”