[Mk2] [Turbo] Death Rattle?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mcoppen

[Mk2] [Turbo] Death Rattle?

Post by mcoppen »

In had an encounter with a 2002 standard WRX Impreza yesterday and i could not get past him and it was all very level. Which worried me as the are only 227bhp and i woul accpect my tubby to be pushing 300bhp.
So i popped the engine lid to check everything was in order and i can hear a rattle coming from underneither my rocker cover cam belt side. Any suggestions? Going to pop the rocker cover off on the weekend and have a look. Everything else is fine, not smoking or drinking oil or coolant.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Death Rattle?

Post by RobCrezz »

Has your car been on a Rolling road?

how do you know the impreza was standard?
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

No its not been rolling roaded. I know becuase i work with the guy. It only has a cat back pro speed exhaust which wont do much.
I removed the rocker cover and had a look, nothing seems out all as it should be and then rattled everything else with no result. I think it maybe the water pump as on closer inspection the sound does appear to be coming from it, but a bit hard to single it out exactly. The rattle rises with revs but not in time with the revs, so pretty much ruled out it being an engine fault. How much trouble would i be in if the water pump failed? Just overheat?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

What I meant was, how do you know your car is producing 300bhp? What mods do you have?

If water pump failed you would overheat very quick.

Try doing a compression check. If compression is ok, then you can narrow it down to fuel, air/boost, and spark.

Have you checked for boost leaks? Checked your plugs?

Return to “Mechanical”