What's quicker, V6 mr2 or rev1 turbo??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

What's quicker, V6 mr2 or rev1 turbo??

Post by Ryan S »

As above, the other thread is getting out of hand, debates here!!

i'll start, rev 1 is quicker :lol:

replies below.
raptor95GTS

Re: What's quicker, V6 mr2 or rev1 turbo??

Post by raptor95GTS »

:roll:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Stock for stock, the v6 may just pip it, but most tubbys have at least an exhaust while would give it a bit more boost and enough to beat the v6.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RobCrezz wrote:Stock for stock, the v6 may just pip it, but most tubbys have at least an exhaust while would give it a bit more boost and enough to beat the v6.

i totally agree, it's gonna cost a fortune to do anythin to a v6, you only need to throw pennies at a tubby for an extra few ponies. literally a few hundred quid.
steve b

Post by steve b »

V6 as most rev1's & 2 when stock and put on the dyno struggle to make 200bhp.

My own old rev2 when stock at a dyno day; fresh low mileage engine from Rogue, new dizzy & leads made only 210bhp. I know around the time it got a lot of discussion and the majority of rev1 & 2 cars dyno'd stock came out low, rev3 cars however tended to hit 245bhp on the head as stock on the same day at the same RR.

Most of the modifed - exhaust, filter and boost increase - no management rev1's & 2's failed to make the "expected" power, almost all were under 250bhp whatever the boost was cranked up to, I know one lad just to try and give a shock result cranked it to 20psi,... result same as everyone else running 14/15psi, about stock rev3 power.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

who cares
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

what is the BHP of a V6, not sniping it's just that i don't know the exact figure.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dale_V wrote:who cares

People who own tubbys and V6's,i thought from the title it would be fairly obvious :mrgreen:
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

But I have an exhaust, also. ..

I think part of the question should be, what do we mean by faster, in a straight line, on a track, what ... personally I'd be very interested in stock vs stock on a track.

RobCrezz wrote:Stock for stock, the v6 may just pip it, but most tubbys have at least an exhaust while would give it a bit more boost and enough to beat the v6.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

marcbowden wrote:But I have an exhaust, also. ..

I think part of the question should be, what do we mean by faster, in a straight line, on a track, what ... personally I'd be very interested in stock vs stock on a track.

in a straight line, on the track the tubby would have the edge i think, lighter back end, less likely to over steer, would be like the bloody wacky races on a track with the way they would both handle stock!!
JJ

Post by JJ »

I dont know weather to contribute to this thread or not.... should be is the V6 conversion notibly powerfuller than the 3SGE normally aspirated ?? or is the sensation shaded by the shorter ratio box in the turbo ??!! :mrgreen:

If we take the Clio V6 as a comparison which has more power ( 230 bhp ) and is lighter than the camry engine V6 MR2 .. I know for a fact with my own personal experience that a stock turbo is quicker to the qrt and around a track.. not just one fluke lap... but a trackday .. but I understand... plenty of factors to consider.

:-s
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

steve b wrote:V6 as most rev1's & 2 when stock and put on the dyno struggle to make 200bhp.

My own old rev2 when stock at a dyno day; fresh low mileage engine from Rogue, new dizzy & leads made only 210bhp. I know around the time it got a lot of discussion and the majority of rev1 & 2 cars dyno'd stock came out low, rev3 cars however tended to hit 245bhp on the head as stock on the same day at the same RR.

Most of the modifed - exhaust, filter and boost increase - no management rev1's & 2's failed to make the "expected" power, almost all were under 250bhp whatever the boost was cranked up to, I know one lad just to try and give a shock result cranked it to 20psi,... result same as everyone else running 14/15psi, about stock rev3 power.

agree regarding a modded rev1/2....none make more than 210atw with a ct26 over here....
bare in mind the v6s installed over here arnt pulling 200hp stock...not the ones ive seen fitted.
not to mention EVERY v6 ive seen has at least an exhaust mod, head or afm mod....you cant fit a stock camry exhaust to an mr2 afaik, lol...so it will be modded to, lol.

even 200hp rev1/2 will still put out 180-200lb....i dont think the v6 does that.

very close anyway.
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

jimGTS wrote:
steve b wrote:V6 as most rev1's & 2 when stock and put on the dyno struggle to make 200bhp.

agree regarding a modded rev1/2....none make more than 210atw with a ct26 over here....
bare in mind the v6s installed over here arnt pulling 200hp stock...not the ones ive seen fitted.
not to mention EVERY v6 ive seen has at least an exhaust mod, head or afm mod....you cant fit a stock camry exhaust to an mr2 afaik, lol...so it will be modded to, lol.

even 200hp rev1/2 will still put out 180-200lb....i dont think the v6 does that.

very close anyway.

I think the 1mz in stock form is between 190-200lb 8)
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

a Mr2 turbo any rev is quite a bit quicker than a v6 mr2 (isn’t the rev1,2 the same thing performance wise). I have not seen a v6 mr2 even with modifications get any better than a very high 14 second qtr mile where as a stock mr2 turbo is mid to high 13s. A second or more over the qtr mile is a lot and this represents a large performance difference. It goes with out saying that a mr2 turbo will also be quicker on track too as it has much more top end performance whish is what’s required for a good lap time (not low down torque that some will suggest is the v6s strength).
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Peak power means next to nothing, runs down the strip mean next to nothing.

How many times have tubby's have been down the 1/4, so your sample size for your single quoted figure is literally HUGE ie. thousands of attempts to get a good time with possibly multiple different setups suspensions, wheels and 100's of different climate conditions, track conditions, the list is endless...

I bet the number of v6 runs numbers less than 100, so not many to choose from and no offence to the v6 drivers but not many different drivers.

Another point, pretty much every v6 conversion has an engine thats done well over 100k+, mine had got 160k when it was converted. Most tubby's are at least 50k less, to be fair you would have to compare similarly milage engines.

As I said in another thread, on the road the v6 was just quicker, no lag instant throttle response.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Surely it depends on the v6 no? Think I'm right in saying somebody is currently fitting the 3.5 ltr 280 bhp version (2ge?) which also has a very light block? Woodsport I believe?
Personally I think this is really a horses for courses question since it should not be which is quicker (round a twisty track suspension mods and driver ability will make as much difference) but which the driver prefers.. different question.

R.
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

I know what would sort this out, a track day :rambo:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

antnkel wrote:I know what would sort this out, a track day :rambo:

na, i know what would, harry hills tv burp, FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

theres no such thing as a stock v6 so on that pretence spend the extra on the turbo :-k

get a rev3+ and with the bolt on mods and a good engine there is no comparrison whatsoever, the v6's however sound awesome and against a ct26 standard i'd guess they still wouldn't keep up, only a guess mind 8-[
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

mrtee wrote:theres no such thing as a stock v6 so on that pretence spend the extra on the turbo :-k

But in the context, as a cone filter and an exhaust are mandatory part of a v6 install then they should be considered as 'stock'. And as you can tune the AFM and timing for free with the right tools, they could be considered stock also.

Lets nail this down, when most of us mean whats quicker we mean on the road as thats where the majority of people spend most of our time in the cars we are talking about.

And most stuff on the road is from rolling, this is where the v6 is useful because it produces good power all over the rev range from 2500rpm and there's no lag.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”