Need to test drive a Tubby! (SW London)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Need to test drive a Tubby! (SW London)

Post by Racer7 »

So I finally test drove an N/A MR2! Fortunately for me I do actually like the car and am defo going to buying one.

However I (and no offence to NA drivers) didn't feel like it had the sense of urgency that I was hoping for when I put my foot down. Progressive, yes, but not on it when I needed it.

Now I really want to see what an turbo feels like. I'm after acceleration really. So I know that if I initiate a take over I can be confident that the car will move its ass on demand. So hence I'm asking if anyone around SW London has a tubby and doesn't mind showing it off to me?

I have to say though, for the time I 'owned' the, 2 looking at it on the road from my friends doorstep really did make me smile!

Ta :thumleft:
mattcambs

Re: Need to test drive a Tubby! (SW London)

Post by mattcambs »

No need to test drive :D Be in no doubt that a tubby will satisfy your accelerative needs :lol:
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

mattcambs wrote:No need to test drive :D Be in no doubt that a tubby will satisfy your accelerative needs :lol:

What he said!
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

The difference in overtaking punch between the turbo and the NA is astonishing.

The problem with the turbo is that it is almost too powerful!

You go to overtake in third gear and by the time you are getting to the top of the rev range you can be doing 90mph in no time at all. Obviously you need to be very aware of any bends at the end of a straight section of road in order to be ready to regulate your speed in order to navigate the bend safely. Er not that I have ever done these speeds on a public road of course... 8-[

When doing my regular drive to SW Wales I sometimes end up overtaking 3 or 4 cars at a time on the longer straights if the traffic is dawdling along behind a truck or tractor.

They really are silly fast even in standard guise!
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Go for it mate , awesome cars . :clap:
513BHP at the hubs
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

Acceleration wise there simply is no comparison!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

ChrisT wrote:Acceleration wise there simply is no comparison!

This is kinda what I expected. But I just figured I'd throw it out there to see if any of the good people in IMOC land had one to show off to me.

Acceleration is more of a importance to me then top speed as tbh most of the time it'll be driven in the 'burbs (speed bumps galore). So the reassurance of being able to make the traffic lights or dip out to overtake a 'sunday driver' is what I want.

I did like the N/A it felt llike a nice ride. Not too firm but enough to feel the road. I know the tubby is firmer and with some of the posts about it being an uncomfortable ride I figure that the proof is in the pudding. (i.e I need to be in one/drive one to see for myself!)
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Its liks going from a 13" black & white portable to a 50" HD plasma :thumleft:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Where abouts are you? I ain't handing you the keys :lol: but I'm happy to take you out for a run sometime
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if your in the right gear, overtaking should be no problem in an NA....they like to be revved.
round the twisties, and country roads, there really is little difference between the na and turbo...(same car after all)
1/4 and straight roads itll show its power.
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Take note you will be slower than everyone in the wet tho. :lol:

First time I sat in a tubby as an NA owner I was ashamed of getting back into my car. Few months later I was onto turbo power !! \:D/
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

jimGTS wrote:if your in the right gear, overtaking should be no problem in an NA....they like to be revved.
round the twisties, and country roads, there really is little difference between the na and turbo...(same car after all)

Hey don't get me wrong. I thought the NA was cool. It definitely felt like it had some welly and it was pretty cool to drive. Surprisingly comfortable.

As on most of my posts, my intention has always been to buy just one MR2. I know that some of the peeps on here are on there fourth or fifth 2. Bu tI guess thats part of the hobby of modifiying. I'm more just into wanting to own an MR2.

@ jmachling. Awesome dude! You are like 20mins from me. And I agree - some random dude says can I drive your MR2 the initial answer would always be 'HELL NO!'. Still it will be great just to see first hand what to look out for etc etc. Will PM you. :thumleft:

Now looking at buying a tubby from inside the UK cos the Yen is killing my import dream (currenty 129Y to £1!! :cry: )
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Racer7 wrote:
jimGTS wrote:if your in the right gear, overtaking should be no problem in an NA....they like to be revved.

Hey don't get me wrong. I thought the NA was cool. It definitely felt like it had some welly and it was pretty cool to drive. Surprisingly comfortable.

As on most of my posts, my intention has always been to buy just one MR2. I know that some of the peeps on here are on there fourth or fifth 2. Bu tI guess thats part of the hobby of modifiying. I'm more just into wanting to own an MR2.

@ jmachling. Awesome dude! You are like 20mins from me. And I agree - some random dude says can I drive your MR2 the initial answer would always be 'HELL NO!'. Still it will be great just to see first hand what to look out for etc etc. Will PM you. :thumleft:

Now looking at buying a tubby from inside the UK cos the Yen is killing my import dream (currenty 129Y to £1!! :cry: )

let us know how you get on, once you've changed your pants!!! :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

id agree, you need to be in one of these cars to truely feal what they do. they dont have much more bhp than some other cars. my nissan had 150 bhp and it overtook very well, i was happy with it, when i overtake in my mr2 turbo its like something else. its like a cat with a poker up its backside. it lunges forward with some force that sometimes scares you. just be carefull in the wet and on corners, and a quick tickle of the loud peddle will get you in illegal speeds, so watch your licence.

and off the line these cars are mental. ive had mine 6 years now and it still scares me. lol
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

make sure you get a rev3 or later :thumleft: These have 245bhp as standard and are more tuneable than the earlier cars. 270bhp is simply a boost increase away, no other mods required :shock:
cherdyboy

Post by cherdyboy »

i had a rev3 n/a and was fairly content with it, until i went in KM 's modified rev2 tubby.
I knew immediately i had to get a turbo, which is what i did within 2 months.
I miss the reliability of the N/A, but the power that my rev2 kicks out makes it all worthwhile.
Rev3 did some with more power, but i steared clear of them for a low mileage rev2 partly cuz i couldnt be ar$ed with having to worry about the cat issue come MOT time. Tune it til my hearts content and emissions test should never be an issue, but thats just my reasoning.....
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

cherdyboy wrote: i couldnt be ar$ed with having to worry about the cat issue come MOT time. Tune it til my hearts content and emissions test should never be an issue, but thats just my reasoning.....

Rev3s can pass MOT without CAT as long as it's a pre Aug1995.

With the prices of rev3s so low at the moment, he'd be mad not to get one.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

mattcambs wrote:
cherdyboy wrote: i couldnt be ar$ed with having to worry about the cat issue come MOT time. Tune it til my hearts content and emissions test should never be an issue, but thats just my reasoning.....

Rev3s can pass MOT without CAT as long as it's a pre Aug1995.

With the prices of rev3s so low at the moment, he'd be mad not to get one.

I'm looking at Rev 4 or 5 (depending on how fresh the car is). I'm getting used to the combat spoiler on the rev5 but still think that the rev4 spoiler follows the cars lines better...but hey, thats all just the visuals!

functionality-wise the twin airbags is a major plus (in a car which is often described as 'scary' on IMOC!)
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

rev5 turbos seem to be over-priced at the moment, imo. Especially when you consider what £6k can buy you these days (e.g RX8).

Take your time and you'll be able to find a really nice example. There are a lot of dogs out there too.

Airbags will only help if you drive into the back of someone! You need to to watch what you end up going into sideways or backwards :lol:

Basically, decent tyres and wheel geometry are vital :thumleft:

Good luck
starmist

Post by starmist »

JimGTS, your turbo looks amazing!

Do you want to sell it? :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”