[Mk2] [Turbo] Car looses power after 10 mins?? Any ideas??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Deezee

[Mk2] [Turbo] Car looses power after 10 mins?? Any ideas??

Post by Deezee »

OK, kinda long, but I wanna be as helpful as I can with information.

So driving to work, all cosy and warm in my car. Pull out from the lights after 10 mins of driving and the car starts stuttering and running well rough, like I'm pulling off from the lights in 5th, not 1st. The engine would rev but there was no power. I crawled off the road into a car park.

I left it idle, while i popped the lid, engine was running so rough, jerking and stuttering. But after 5 mins, back fine again. Continued driving to my meeting OK. Driving back same thing. Started out fine then after 5 mins, it lost power, and was running well rough. When I brought the engine to 3000rpm, and the turbo kicked in, it ran super rough. Almost misfiring. I checked the ECU codes, and it has none??? just blinks at a nice steady rate. I'm thinking fuel starvation or something?

Has anyone got any clues?

(1994 3SGTE, Apexi induction kit and Berk decat, otherwise standard)
platmatt8

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Car looses power after 10 mins?? Any ideas??

Post by platmatt8 »

O2 sensor possibly?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Deezee wrote:OK, kinda long, but I wanna be as helpful as I can with information.

So driving to work, all cosy and warm in my car. Pull out from the lights after 10 mins of driving and the car starts stuttering and running well rough, like I'm pulling off from the lights in 5th, not 1st. The engine would rev but there was no power. I crawled off the road into a car park.

I left it idle, while i popped the lid, engine was running so rough, jerking and stuttering. But after 5 mins, back fine again. Continued driving to my meeting OK. Driving back same thing. Started out fine then after 5 mins, it lost power, and was running well rough. When I brought the engine to 3000rpm, and the turbo kicked in, it ran super rough. Almost misfiring. I checked the ECU codes, and it has none??? just blinks at a nice steady rate. I'm thinking fuel starvation or something?

Has anyone got any clues?

(1994 3SGTE, Apexi induction kit and Berk decat, otherwise standard)

possibly fuel pump??? had the same problem with a 200sx a while ago.
Deezee

Post by Deezee »

O2 sensor shouldn't cause the engine to misfire should it? Or loose power? I dunnu where the fuel pump is or how to check it. Looks like I best check the Knowledge base and make a cuppa.... long day I think.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Wet day? Could be moisture in the ignition system causing it to miss.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

It sounds like fueling though.

Check all spark plugs,

Check Dizzy cap and arm,

Check all Ht leads are on properly,

Take it for a drive.

If not that i`d try Unpluging your o2 sensor and go for a drive and see what happens.
Tarn-Gaz

Post by Tarn-Gaz »

sounds daft i know but mine did this when i changed a green ecu temp sensor, wud work fine for 5-10mins then wud run like crap on tick over as for driving, well that felt like i was trying to set off in 5th with the brakes on. turned out to be the new sensor that was falty.

worth a look at mate, sure sounds like you are having the trouble i had :thumleft:
Deezee

Post by Deezee »

Which temp sensor is that? There are a lot on the engine. I could test it with the multimeter following the BCB, if I knew which one.

I'm asking cos I'm colour blind, and I'll struggle picking out a green one from a grey one.
Deezee

Post by Deezee »

I found the sensor..... I think, But my Rev 3 Turbo coolant pipe isn't anything like the ones shown. It only has one sensor on it. Where are the Coolant temp and Cold start switch sensors on a REV 3?
Deezee

Post by Deezee »

OK, so I used the BGB as a reference and checked the resistance of the ECU Coolant Sensor, when cold and when warm, and the readings are as the book. So we can rule out the sensor. Its feeding the signal to the ECU as well, cos pulling the connector off nearly stalls the engine when cold.

What about the O2 sensor? I unplugged that, and it had no effect to how the engine ran?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Deezee wrote:OK, so I used the BGB as a reference and checked the resistance of the ECU Coolant Sensor, when cold and when warm, and the readings are as the book. So we can rule out the sensor. Its feeding the signal to the ECU as well, cos pulling the connector off nearly stalls the engine when cold.

What about the O2 sensor? I unplugged that, and it had no effect to how the engine ran?

I had the same problem, I had already changed the ecu coolant sensor, but that didnt solve it, but a ECU reset solved it for a while, but it came back. I then changed the Dizzy cap, Rotor arm and a new lambda (o2) sensor and the car feels better than it has since I have owned it. It could have been any of these but the old cap and rotor arm looked fine so im guessing the new sensor fixed it. Defo worth a try, they are only about £50 from http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mr2.htm

If you have a Rev3 or newer you need the 4 wire one.
Turbocarl

Post by Turbocarl »

Problems with rotor/ dizzy etc are not usually intermittent. I would check fuel pump first and failing that the next thing to check would be coil/igniter pack.
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

Deezee wrote:O2 sensor shouldn't cause the engine to misfire should it? Or loose power.

It did on my Integra. new sensor cured it. O2 sensors have a lifespan and mine had done 70,000 miles.

Return to “Mechanical”