need a bit of advice pls....

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

WeirdNeville

Re: need a bit of advice pls....

Post by WeirdNeville »

I take it this is your first Mk1?

Nick Challoner wrote a good guide to the MK1 that you can read Here.

First, decide on what you want. If you have a hankering for a Mk1 and usually keep your cars for around a year, then a budget of £500-600 will get you a safe fun car with a years MOT to hoon about in and then chance your next MOT with. After that you can sell it for parts or whatever and recover maybe £200 at worst.

If however the MK1 is THE ONLY CAR FOR YOU! then a budget of perhaps £1500 or so will get you a very very nice car, well looked after, with complete service history and a solid shell that you can keep for several years.

Personally, I'd advocate buying a cheaper one first to get to know these cars and whether you actually like them enough to drop £1.5k on a 20 year old motor! You'll also learn all about the rust weak spots (possibly the hard way) and if you do go on to buy a better one you'll know the peaches from the lemons often at a glance.

In the meantime if you are insistent on viewing a car try and persuade someone who knows about them intimately to come along and give their "expert" view on it. It needen't put you off buying a car but it could help stop you buying a death trap.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

leevo5.1 wrote:hj kevin, went to see the red one but what desapointment, it was another rust bucket.. so sad.. but i just found something that i been waiting for, is in scotland past edinb, but looks very good http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0274180806
have a look. just wait for owner to replay back regarding few question..

will keep you posted,,

rust coming through at the base of B pillar and on rear arch

its good to look at lots of rough ones first though gives you a good idea of what to look out for
leevo

Post by leevo »

hi what do you think about this car again,, i got a good feeling about this car, let me know what you thing pls, any advise will take in.. is doing my head in :mad: i really want a mk1, remind me so much of my chilhood. pls help to find a car for me iwill appreciate :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

leevo5.1 wrote:hi what do you think about this car again,, i got a good feeling about this car, let me know what you thing pls, any advise will take in.. is doing my head in :mad: i really want a mk1, remind me so much of my chilhood. pls help to find a car for me iwill appreciate :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

kevin..in wrote:
rust coming through at the base of B pillar and on rear arch

apart from that it could be fine immpossable to say from 3 pics which seem to be taken in the rain (always the worst way to view any car!)
travelling all the way to falkirk to view it though may seem a bit too keen
be patient there are lots of good cars around
leevo

Post by leevo »

hi neville, thanks for your advice, i already read that buyer guide, and got a rough idea of what im looking for, this is why i already walk away from three. my budget is about 1200 but if i do see a good one i will match up to 1500. i want a mk1 due the fact that i love them and been thinking to get one for weekend drive and for fun. i know them quite well us i use to sell jap import but bloody hell hard to find a good one... anyway if anyone got one or know someone selling one pls let me know...... :thumleft: lee
leevo

Post by leevo »

i know kevin, im waitn for some more pic to sent to me will post for you guys to check it, i will take the chance if not a good one atleast a good wqeekend i love scotland lol :mrgreen: bu the way this came on late last night looks good a bit on the high end check it out kev

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0298104973
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

leevo

Post by leevo »

limey, been and seen that one, is a rust bucket and could not belive how much he was asking for, did have a good history but that was it,, all arechs has rust buble and both a post just starting to rust and also b post was badly repair is like blue peter been on it. :mrgreen: but the chap did have a very nice scooby p1 with 580 :thumleft: thansk you any way.. but im goin to leeds to meet this one up have a look http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/752983.htm, even thought had thef ruin the bumper, the chap replace it yesterday that i why i goin to check it out see if it worth 700
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

good luck, that could be a good buy.

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”