[Mk2] [NA] HELP how can i drive more economically

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pcp

Re: [Mk2] [NA] HELP how can i drive more economically

Post by pcp »

Mine's an NA

The experiment began tonight, 46.88 litres of super unleaded added, let's see how many miles i can get, gonna be hard to resist the fun pedal
blue2

Post by blue2 »

When the car is cold keep the revs as low as possible, anything over 3k when cold will drink fuel. I used to get around 280 miles to a full tank with my 2ltr na, its poor economy but not unusual. :(
pcp

Post by pcp »

blue2 wrote:When the car is cold keep the revs as low as possible, anything over 3k when cold will drink fuel. I used to get around 280 miles to a full tank with my 2ltr na, its poor economy but not unusual. :(

so far today i only revved past 3k on 2 occasions, it was either stop at a give way sign or pull out and rev to about 3.5k to get up to speed, thought it was more economical to rev it a little rather than stop dead. Been changing gear at 2.5k every time, it might be economical but boy is it dull :(
Ry_B

Post by Ry_B »

pcp wrote:Image :oops:

I know it's not my o2 sensor as it just passed the mot whilst decatted, just my heavy foot.

Gonna try and take it easy after i fill up tonight, see what i can get, it's just too tempting tho to boot it at every opportunity 8-[

Wish I got that mileage from my rev 5...the most I've got is 230 to a tank!
Ry_B

Post by Ry_B »

blue2 wrote:When the car is cold keep the revs as low as possible, anything over 3k when cold will drink fuel. I used to get around 280 miles to a full tank with my 2ltr na, its poor economy but not unusual. :(

You shouldnt go over 3k when the engine is cold anyway?? :neutral:
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

anyone know if the fuel light is electronic or is it attachet to the needle on the gauge?? as ive fitted new dials and duno if i knocked the needle, got 2 250miles and started getting worried about running out of fuel as light didnt come on so just stuck some in :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Drifter wrote:I was doing 200 miles to a tank, had a fubar 02 sesnor now doing 250 miles to the tank so happy with that :D duno how people can hit 300+ in a tubby tho,

Do any of you drive at 30mph in 5th ? tried it out the other day and its seems to be struggaling tho, 2nd is much better :twisted:

Dave

I did the 320 mile round trip to Japfest on a single tank in my rev3 tubby, cruising between 70 and 90 kph (;)) on the motorway. 240-260 is more realistic with normal day to day commuting.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Ry_B wrote:

You shouldnt go over 3k when the engine is cold anyway?? :neutral:

#-o I thought Id included that.
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

If you have an AVC-R, monitor the throttle position %. By keeping this as low as posible (relatively) I used to manage 330-370 a tank.

Also tire choice MAKES a difference. On my Toyos I get worse economy than on my Dunlops.

Also if it is cool enough keep your windows closed.

Mike
pcp

Post by pcp »

mishadbull wrote:If you have an AVC-R, monitor the throttle position %. By keeping this as low as posible (relatively) I used to manage 330-370 a tank.

Also tire choice MAKES a difference. On my Toyos I get worse economy than on my Dunlops.

Also if it is cool enough keep your windows closed.

Mike

That's part of my problem, i smoke like a chimney when i'm driving 8-[

Been driving like an old woman since my last post, will post up a pic when my fuel light comes on again :whistle:
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Oh and that 330-370 was in a tubby too!
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

:shock: like erm how??? doing long journies or run arounds?

Dave
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

My daily commute was 31 miles each way. M1, M69, A5 was on the motorway within 1 mile and was on the A5 for about 2.

So I guess you could say it was motorway only. If I don't leave town I am looking at 170-250 per tank.

Mike

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”