Scenes Of Skye 2008 ** Now With Pictures **

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AW11 Forever..!

Re: Scenes Of Skye 2008 ** Now With Pictures **

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

Can I just check who is staying at mine in Durham on the Wednesday night, Jo's panicing and thinking we might need an extension.
Jinxy I've got rid of all the scorpions so no need to bring the industrial toilet roll.....
Thinking about leaving at 9am on the Thursday morning, its only a couple of hours to Huntley.......... isn't it.............. :sick:
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Max

That roadworks will be long gone before we reach Skye.

The other thing is that road works with you guys can mean hours delay but up their where traffic is very very light then the delay is generally till the traffic lights turn from red to green or the man working the stop go sign turns it round:D

Nothing to worry about and as i say it will be long gone by then

Michael think you are just about right with the couple of hours (sheavills time) give or take an extra 4 :mrgreen:
Lemon Secretary

Post by Lemon Secretary »

We are staying at me mam and dad's house in south shields so don't worry about building an extension on account of us! But would be happy to meet you en route for the journey; we'll be going up the A19, through the tunnel and hitting the A1 at Cramlington. We could meet up at any services around/after there. How about Stannington Services, A1 North Road, Stannington, Northumberland, NE61 6ED? Put the postcode into Google Maps, it looks straight forward enough to me! :D
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

AW11 Forever..! wrote:Can I just check who is staying at mine in Durham on the Wednesday night

(Max raises his hand, and picks up and raises a stick on Sasha's behalf as well)
May we? May we?

I'm planning on coming up with Jinxy again like last year, so there's someone else to blame when we get lost...

...Ms Sat-nag.

:D

I haven't decided what we're doing with regards to heading back yet either. I've now booked an extra couple of days off after the trip, but don't think Sasha has. I don't fancy driving all the way back again like last year though, so may just stick her on a plane again if need be and will stop at least once on the way down...
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Shane, glad to help with the routes, you might want to check I've got all the correct roads :mrgreen:

Watty, apart from the stiffer suspension my car is the same as yours (including colour :thumleft: :thumleft: ) but you're welcome to to have a sit in. Turbo is nice for overtaking, going up big hills and generally p1$$ing off hot hatch drivers.

Should be a hoot this weekend.
AW11 Forever..!

Ok guys thanks for that, so just to confirm I have the following staying at mine on the 14th September

Jinxy ( 50" plasma, Sky tv + airbed with downstairs bathroom, NO scorpions!! )
Max and Sasha ( spare room / double bed with private bathroom )

Pete/Reema - the services at Stannington would be ideal to meet you. We will be there for 9.45am and should plan to hit the road again at 10am
Lemon Secretary

this sounds like a plan to me!! :clap:
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Just a small thing Michael i presume you mean Wed the 10th as opposed to Sunday the 14th or you are going to have a lot of people in your room at the travelodge in Inverness. :shock:

Trip dates Yours 10th Huntly 11th, 12 & 13th Skye and 14th Inverness :mrgreen:

See you all soon
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

AW11 Forever..! wrote:Can I just check who is staying at mine in Durham on the Wednesday night, Jo's panicing and thinking we might need an extension.
Jinxy I've got rid of all the scorpions so no need to bring the industrial toilet roll.....
Thinking about leaving at 9am on the Thursday morning, its only a couple of hours to Huntley.......... isn't it.............. :sick:

Thank god the scorpion is outta the way, yep ive bagged the bedroom as per our last conversation Mike :lol: .......... anyone wanna argue with me on that one ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: , sounds good to me Mike, really looking forward to this one :thumleft: , Jinxy
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

AW11 Forever..! wrote:Max and Sasha ( spare room / double bed with private bathroom )

:shocked: Luxury and Opulence!!! :)
Just a roof over our heads will be fine Mike - anywhere you can put us is great!
Cheers!
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi Folks

Just a couple of updates on the run for you

ITS ONLY 9 WEEKS :-D

Jinxy will then be looking for his old friend :flossy:

I have put in a request for some fantastic weather so that should be fine.

I had a small problem with one of the B & Bs in Skye as in the one with 2 rooms could not take us. Maureen is sadly very ill and is no longer doing B & B. Im really disappointed about this but can be helped.

Her sister however where we have 6 rooms at, has a friend just along the road and has arranged for them to take the 2 extra couples so thats sorted :thumleft: I have attached the link for the replacement B & B. What a stunner the quality of the accomodation in B & Bs in Skye far outweights the hotels.

http://www.larchsideskye.co.uk/location.html

The B & Bs have asked that i give them a deposit for holding the rooms of £10 per person. I will see to this at present and we can square up when you all arrive. (Just makes things simple).

I have a couple of nice placed to eat sussed out. One called the clansman, and one at the cullins hotel. It does nice bar meals and has a great views over Portree bay. I will be speaking to them shortly just the check availability etc but should be fine.

For all those stopping in Huntly on the Thursday night we will have food & drink at the house as we did last year. We will see how the weather is but may just have to have this inside . I think everyone is booked for B & B etc but any problems let me know

I am going up to do a recce of the route and check out all the places on23rd August just to make sure we are sorted.

See you all very soon :D

Shane
Lemon Secretary

shane could you please send me and pete an email/pm with what you have us down for in terms of b&b so we can check it against our reckoning. no rush, whenever you get 5 mins. thanks :mrgreen: x
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Jobs a good one Reema.

You have a PM

Shane
Portgordon

Post by Portgordon »

I may have to withdraw from this years drive :(

I've got an offer to go to the F1 in Milan on this weekend, and thats one of the things on my list of things to do at some point some time before some thing. Already been swimming with dolphins this year so I could get 2 things scored off the list in one year! :clap:

Tough though.... Go and watch cars being driven..... or go and drive cars :-k Normally of course i'd pick the later but in this case it's the F1 so it wins! I'm just working out the costs of the trip at the moment and if it works out too expensive I may back track on the idea :)
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

I've just been on a 2 week holiday touring around the west coast of Scotland. First time I've been there and the scenery is amazing. 8) It's hard to grasp the scale of everything until you are standing there looking at it. :thumleft:

We drove round Skye and did the Applecross pass too (WOW!). Applecross is a really nice, relaxing place to stay. Great pub there too! The road from Kyle of Lochalsh to Loch Carron (Wester Ross coastal route) is a good drive too. The road when you first get onto Skye and head to Sligachan has some impressive sights. The road around the North of Skye is more open. I was surprised at how it's actually easier to make swift progress on the (numerous) single track roads than the normal roads! - everyone is much more courteous so if you are being held up they will get out of your way!

Anyway, I just wanted to say you guys are gonna have a great drive around there - I'm sure you already knew that though! :thumleft: We went in our Mazda 2 (we took lots of camping stuff) so I think I definitely need to plan another visit to Scotland with the MR2 at some point!

Andrew
AW11 Forever..!

F1 sucks :evil:

Stop being silly with this talk of GP racing 8-[ you will regret missing Skye for sure, go to the GP next year :thumleft:
Lemon Secretary

AW11 Forever..! wrote:F1 sucks :evil:

Stop being silly with this talk of GP racing 8-[ you will regret missing Skye for sure, go to the GP next year :thumleft:

ahahahaha says michael!! :roll: lol i don't know, any old excuse!! lol
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi folks

I just thought I would let you know that Susan and I did a recce on the run this weekend. We left Huntly at 5.00 a.m. on Saturday morning and were having breakfast at Eilean Donan Castle at 8.00 a.m. with our deck chairs out and the sun beating down.

By 9.30 a.m. we were in Portree and enjoying the lovey weather. I checked out the three B&Bs and left the deposits and they are all spot on. I have also now found some nice places to eat in Portree for our trip.

We were camping last night and have an amazing photo of the sun setting over the Cuilin hills from Portree. We will post these on here in the next couple of days for you all to look at.

The weather in Skye both days has been absolutely fabulous and I needed the sun tan lotion on both days so fingers crossed it is like that in September.

There is one small section of roadworks between Sliagachan and Portree which is about 1 mile long but I am fairly sure that will be gone by September. We were only delayed for about 10 minutes anyway.

We have all the toilet/coffee and eat stops sussed out again for the trip round the island.

We toured the island today and again will put up some photos of Old Man of Stoer, Dunvegan and the Cuilins etc. shortly.

Please remember to take plenty of batteries, and memory cards for the camera because you will need them.

Shane and Susan
Portgordon

Post by Portgordon »

I've withdrawn from the F1 trip. It's going to work out a bit on the expensive side (although to be totally honest not much more than I imagine the fuel costs for this drive!!)

\:D/
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Glad to hear you are back with us Mark
:thumleft:

Return to “Past Events”