[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Charge Cooler. some questions and help please.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Drifter

[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Charge Cooler. some questions and help please.

Post by Drifter »

Where do i start :-k Rite, well got my New Tubby Sunday from Grayboy in Wales :thumleft: and its a sweet 2, but got a ST205 charge cooler fitted, which i know nothing about really :oops: i did a few seacrhes on the cooler b4 i bought the car, and it seems a good thing 2 have fitted :D now...........

Ok 1st thing, what coolant do they take? or do they run off the same coolant thats in the standard rad? :-k

2nd how do you check that the level of coolant in the cooler is ok? and also how do you bleed it? :-k

and 3rdly..... it has a interior temperator display fitted 4 the cooler, very trick looking. But it cuts itself out when the engine revs/speed increase after say 3000ish RPM ](*,) is this a comon problem? basicaly need some help / advice please.

Thanks IMOC Dave.
grayboy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Charge Cooler. some questions and help please.

Post by grayboy »

hi mate ,

they have there own bit of coolant and is totally seperate to the rad. i have put a mixture of 70% water and 30% coolant , as for the level , its always good to have a look at it whilst the pump is going , so when the ignition is on ( ie the pump working ) under the car , dont worry , there is very little pressure in there and wont come out , and then you can see what level it is at , just top it up if needs be to the top of the tank .

as for the display , the temp gauge is fed through the black pipe going into the overflow on the tank , and it is a 5volt sensor ( its a pc one ) so i had to convert it from 12v to 5v . but i had a look/search round and never got to the bottom of it , seems like a power serge knocks it off.

hope this all helps , look after the 2 , she was/is a real class car
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

:D thanks mate. Cleared some things 4 me 8) might let some electrical wizards have a look at the display, bit over my skill area on that lol.

of the point a bit, but fitted my Sony MP3 player to the car and re-wired it all up with bullet connecters aswell 8) Sounds awsome now, with the uber DSO and equalizer goodies you get with the tuner.

Guess i'll have a follow of all the wires from the cooler, and make sure all connections are sound, check it with reader n stuff try and maybe fault find the problem, heared on here about ignition wire can trip it out or somat, might be that :-k we'll see.
grayboy

Post by grayboy »

ye i heard about those wired aswell , theres a connection about a foot from the cooler ( where the black hose also has a join) and then its all 1 set of wires all the way to the back of the display.
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

thanks again :thumleft: i'll investigate 2moro when its nice and sunny again :D then wash it as its not as shiny anymore :( lol

Dave.
karammander

Post by karammander »

good to hear you like the car, any help you need feel free to pm me or grayboy as we have both worked on your new car, we trialed the chargecooler on my car first and then proceded to do his.

hope you look after this car aswel as bri and i did. keep us posted and change your avatar for a proper engine!! :D

cheers karam
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Hopefully i don't tread on anyones toes :whistle:

1) When a chargecooler is fitted does it feel like you are driving the car at night , much quicker and more responsive?

2) For a rev 2 will the recirc not work won't fit and has to be dumped to atmos?
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

okies...... well after fully fitting my ICE lol i started 2 play with the Cooler, thought id start in the engine bay and go from there.

Well 1sty the wriring from the cooler was damaged due to the bolt that was used to block of the pipe (pipe had the wires going thru) so i cut and re-wired these using a Block then blocked the pipe using well lots of clingfilm then electrical tape all over the wiring then heavey indutstial tape 2 seal it real nice. I also fed the wire over the top of the induction pipe, as where it was seated before it was pretty much melting the wires.

Then took it 4 a test drive, much better it didnt cut out straight away like it used too, but now it cuts out when say full throttle is given :-k

I still think it may be the wiring, maybe heavey vibration or something.

and the answer to your question pirate i think you can recirc it, but you have to alter the BOV i think, and 2 be honest i dont see much difference but it sure does keep the temperature really nice and cool. so kinda like driving at nite maybe :-k
karammander

Post by karammander »

if you put a boost controler on your car thats when ur gonna notice the difference, i would recomend the apexi or the hks evc 6 (i jus got one) both very adaptable and have proven results from top tuners.

cheers karam
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

still keeps tripping out sooo annoying ](*,) so just re-wired it again using bullet ends, and ive blocked the bleed pipe where the wire comes out using silicone sealent should stop the coolant coming thru!!!! works on the T-bar :lol:

i was thinking of gettin a boost valve... would like the HKS as i think HKS are just pimp lol, and also a boost controler 4 in the car is this the same thing :oops:
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

a hks boost controller will be in your car mate is electronic and you can adjust everything inside the car
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

i feel like ripping my head off atm ](*,) well after re-wirring the thermostat wire 2 the wire that carries info to the cockpit, and sealing the pipe off using silicone sealent, left it 4 3hrs 2 dry and took it 4 a test drive....... works great.. until you accelerate hard ](*,) sooo annoying i cant see why it would trip out from heavey acceleration :cry:

Well just ordered all the parts 2 wire the whole thing again, just incase i mess the 1 thats fitted up completly. Next is 2 investiagte the cockpit wires..... then give up if that fails. :(
karammander

Post by karammander »

man i do feel for you,

if you want help with a boost controler let me know, i dont mind popping up to install and help you set up for a few beer tokens.

cheers karam
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

yea there would be sweet :D which boost controler would be best then? as i want it 2 be adjustable while in car, mainly 2 monitor it i guess lol.

Cockpit ivestigation 4 CC display has began, also getting the elecrtrial engineers at my work, 2 knock me up a custom convertor :D then check the resistance / voltage while car is running, should find the root cause soon... i hope :pray:
cherdyboy

Post by cherdyboy »

hi mate,
I fill up the charge-cooler to just bellow the cap level. As far as im aware you cant overfill them, as there is a pipe coming of it that lets out excess coolant, most noticable when it gets hot and you turn off the engine you will hear it bubbling away in the charge cooler.
If its a temp display for the charge cooler your trting to fix, i would worry about it too much. Ive got one on mine and it is all over the place to be honest with you, so ive stopped taking any notice of it.
The only thing of interest on it, is how much hotter it gets when you first hit boost and the temperature rockets.
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

hmmm, its just really annoying tho ](*,) i just want it 2 work properly lol.

Ok well ive removed the display and all the wires behind the dash, i then checked the voltage going thru 2 the display using multimeter reads 5volts all the time regardless of boost / RPM. so that is ok :D

which means its the thremostat cable coming from inside the ChargeCooler all the way to the display........ any1 way off checking 4 breaks in the cable using a multimeter? coud it be possible that viration from the Induction / exhaust / turbo could trip it? :-k

thanks 4 any help.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

I have exactly the same problem at the moment mate, proper does my head in ](*,)

I have the probes in the inlet next to the air filter and in the throttle body, all`s fine under normal driving, even mild boosting but the first I boot it the screen goes blank and I have to switch it off and on again to get a reading.

If you figure it out let us know. :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

this display would not happen to be an LCD unit that fit's a PC? I know mine would trip out very easy and I put it down to the closeness of the dizzy cap / cables to the cabling for the temperature sensor. Basically it got overloaded with interference... that's my theory anyway :oops:
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

well final experiment will comence now, and yes it is the LCD display you get from watercooling.com.

I know its not the power supply, as ive mulitmetered that, and i know its not the resistance between cables as ive tested that.

So ive bought another display came 2day :D and im gona wire it up inside the cockpit, stick stat itno a warm bottle of water and drive round on full boost. if it does work then, this means its some sort of interference/vibration from the stat cable running from the engine bay.

Time 2 begin. BRB soon.
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

well i've been water cooling pc's for years and i use water wetter in my car and pc and i find it helps

Not got a CC yet but looking into diffrent things atm. Maybe use water wetter too

Return to “Modifications”