[Mk2] [Turbo] Coilover Suspension

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbolad

[Mk2] [Turbo] Coilover Suspension

Post by Turbolad »

Can anyone offer any opinions or fact about the different types of coilovers availble for the mk2 turbo.
It appears most commonly used is tein ss. Is this because its the best or most readily available?
I dont want to spend silly money, but on the other hand dont want to buy anything rubbish and cheap.

How do tein/d2/k2 compare?

Thanks
Matt
MR2EMO

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Coilover Suspension

Post by MR2EMO »

tein all the way dude i jus fitted them on mine and wat a diffrence they made and all for £600 notes, hears the thread i put up afta fitting them
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91195

james :thumleft:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I have cusco's on mine. Any coilovers will give much improved and sharper handling but at the cost of ride comfort and occasional skipping over bumpy roads. It's nice to have the option of adjusting the height though. If I was to choose I'd go for a matched shock/spring combo with 30mm drop for road use.
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

H&R do an awesome set of coilovers for the MR2. Not as harsh as the Teins, but they are more expensive! Quality is second to none.
Dan

www.DCDezign.com
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

dawolf wrote:I have cusco's on mine. Any coilovers will give much improved and sharper handling but at the cost of ride comfort and occasional skipping over bumpy roads. It's nice to have the option of adjusting the height though. If I was to choose I'd go for a matched shock/spring combo with 30mm drop for road use.

Koni inserts with eibach or TRD springs would be a good choice! Or if you can get em Billstien sports (yellow billies) I mean with coilvers you also need to get them corner weighted and setup and that doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are some sort of hardcore trackday person.

I'd take the H&R Coilovers over the Teins anyday as a streetable coilover, or if you fancy being a guinea pig get a set of SilkRoads or Endless Zeal coilovers which are popular in the us. If your gonna go with a coilover jut dont go with a cheapy one imo they wont be any better than a good spring/shock combo.
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

The Koni's are awesome on the MR2, and the Eibach springs are an excellent choice, whatever dampers you have, but the Koni inserts will only fit <94 rebuildable struts, which are getting fewer, and as you rightly say, Bilstein have discontinued the yellows so getting them is now hard :(

Dan
www.DCDezign.com
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Dan_DCDezign wrote:The Koni's are awesome on the MR2, and the Eibach springs are an excellent choice, whatever dampers you have, but the Koni inserts will only fit <94 rebuildable struts, which are getting fewer, and as you rightly say, Bilstein have discontinued the yellows so getting them is now hard :(

Dan
www.DCDezign.com

Yeah I was looking around for a set of yellow billies, couldnt find any, then ended up looking for a set of rebuildable struts for konis. But then I came across a set of Phoenix Power/Ohlins dampers instead. \:D/

Return to “Modifications”