TIME ATTACK CLUB CHALLENGE 2007

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Re: TIME ATTACK CLUB CHALLENGE 2007

Post by jonb- »

Lets not beat around the bush, timeattack is just an expensive trackday with stopwatches, why is this getting so much interest when it's difficult to get another person to go tracking with at the moment :)
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

bob_mr2 wrote:ah but i dont think these rules apply if you are competeing in the club class?

only for the pro/tuner class are these rules implemented. as i seen a few cars at KH last year that definately didn't comply to all the regs for the tuner class! im sure rob will clear this all up soon enough =D>

Correct, tuner class regs are the strict ones, the club regs are almost the same as trackday regs.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

bob_mr2 wrote:ah but i dont think these rules apply if you are competeing in the club class?

only for the pro/tuner class are these rules implemented. as i seen a few cars at KH last year that definately didn't comply to all the regs for the tuner class! im sure rob will clear this all up soon enough =D>

Really? :D Ok I'll read the regs properly this evening....

I've hit another snag.... :-k my helmet.

I bought it fairly recently and it wasn't cheap at all. But it doesn't appear to have any of the correct markings on it :shock:

It's a HJC CL-MAX. All it says on it is "British Motorcycle Sport - Auto Cycle Union ACU approved". The only other marking on it is "ECE R 22 -05".

Rob?

jonb- wrote:Lets not beat around the bush, timeattack is just an expensive trackday with stopwatches, why is this getting so much interest when it's difficult to get another person to go tracking with at the moment :)

Jon, what are you on about? :lol: Me, Tim, Karen and Rich are all heading up to Donington this Sunday. There's still places left, see you there?

See here: http://bookatrack.com/-pE
Last edited by Icsunonove on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_mr2

Post by bob_mr2 »

i thin kyour helmet will have to be type A approved to FIA standards i.e for impact performance but nor requireing fire proofing?

a cheap helmet that would see you ok would be something like the OMP integrale helmet, can be had for under £100 if you look about. earsmotorsport are usually pretty good on prices :thumleft:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Cheers Bob! :D
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

some good info in here :thumleft:

bob is correct with regards to the club class, its not a team event thats just the name it was given :lol:

also the tuner regs dont apply to the club class, all you need is the regular trackday safety measures, type A approved helmet, long sleeved top, long trousers, fire extinguisher in the car.

see extract from time attack website for what the club class requires:

Rules and regulations are as per GT Battle 2005 and the driver must wear a crash helmet, long sleeved top, long trousers, hard footwear and have a fire extinguisher within the vehicle. Racing attire is recommended but not compulsory. Vehicles must adhere to safety regulations as per a trackday so ensure your vehicle meets these requirements.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

bob_mr2 wrote:i thin kyour helmet will have to be type A approved to FIA standards i.e for impact performance but nor requireing fire proofing?

a cheap helmet that would see you ok would be something like the OMP integrale helmet, can be had for under £100 if you look about. earsmotorsport are usually pretty good on prices :thumleft:

This is basically the EU being completly and utterly crap as always. The EU introduced a new helmet testing regulation that all motorcycle/road helmets are to eventually tested to. EU approved! lol, crap.

The thing is, the british standard tests ARE better. yes they are more stringent. It is to do with how many helmets tested per batch and similar things. So MSA obviously use the british standard (blue kite mark or red), and the snell thing.

Some motorcycle helmets (some of those manufactured in the UK) still test to the blue sticker, so look out for it, but now, you pay extra for a helmet with a blue sticker due to the EU laws and UK taxation.

Type A - blue
Type A/FR - Red fire retardant
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

FYI I did some timed laps round Donington, which is where the first round is being held. I was doing 1.24's round there, bear in mind I have tyres from a skip and the car is quite 'tired', has dodgy brakes and is only lightly modified. This time would have put me 6th in the final of the 2005 Tuner final.

So with decent tyres and a few tweeks i'm hoping for a decent time at Easter, be good to see some other MR2's there, ill hopefully be the one with big MR2only decals on the car!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

skinthespin wrote:ill hopefully be the one with big MR2only decals on the car!

I'll be the one in the gravel! Hopefully i'll be able to stay on long enough to put in a blistering time though.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well perhaps we can have an inter-imoc competition, though must admit I thought a club type challenge would be more fun.
T
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

tonigmr2 wrote:Well perhaps we can have an inter-imoc competition, though must admit I thought a club type challenge would be more fun.
T

I spoke to donnington about hosting one of these, get a few more forums involved like supras and 200sx's and it have really taken off.

Unfortunately most tracks will only give out race days for these competitive events now meaning something like 45k instead of 14k track hire!
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Might still be worth working out some figures Jon, and see if theres any interest on other forums, an inter club challenge could be good too.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

skinthespin wrote:Might still be worth working out some figures Jon, and see if theres any interest on other forums, an inter club challenge could be good too.

Not plausible on a race day without ticket sales, you'll never break even.

If we could talk them into doing it on a trackday day i'd be well up for it.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Possible of course, I guess the trackdays ones are insured or something, or dont carry the same level of insurance. Maybe Lauren can give us some help as shes obviously a lot more involved in that side of things?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

skinthespin wrote:Possible of course, I guess the trackdays ones are insured or something, or dont carry the same level of insurance. Maybe Lauren can give us some help as shes obviously a lot more involved in that side of things?

The biggest problem i can see is that Donny would want the monies from IMOC for the day, that carries a hell of a lot of risk, because if it doesn't fill for whatever reason IMOC would be facing a bill of 15K, which is way beyond what we can manage.

Also there is public liability insurance for the track, IMOC does not have this so it would have to be provided by the circuit, not sure what the cost of this would be. The other issue is that if a serious accident happenned the club would be liable (which means the committee members) if we were sued and understandably i'm not keen on that.

Tbh we don't have the resources to commit to something like this. This is why we use TDOs as essentially they carry the risk. Yes its more expensive but there is a whole lot less risk.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Only just spotted this... :roll:

The Time Attack is great fun. You really feel part of something special, being surrounded by some stunning machines and talented (and not so talented!) drivers. :)

Word of warning:

It's all very well thinking about the Time Attack itself which is an out lap, timed lap, cool down lap. The real eye-opener are the practice sessions when you're all currently chucked into one big melting pot of Tuner/Club cars. Thus I was out in the mix surrounded by 600bhp+ Vipers, Skylines, Cossies, etc. I just felt safer as I was ensconsed in a fully caged race car and was wearing all the racing protective gear. My practice was compromised somewhat by moving out of the way of some of these monsters, and it was reflected in my final time! 8-[

It was quite a surprise to learn I'd become a Silverstone lap record holder despite coming dead last (Which we'd expected). Taking part was the important thing to me. :wink:

I hope to compete again next year, depending on MR2C committments. Maybe this time we'll have some dedicated TA rubber too. (Toyo R888 or similar).

More details and a pic here:
http://karenphillipsracing.blogspot.com ... g-fun.html

Cheers,
Rich
:clown:
jonno

Post by jonno »

I am definitely interested, assuming we ever get the car running again :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
EarL

Post by EarL »

I'd be interested too. :thumleft:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

This is exactly what the beast was built for \:D/ I'll be there :)

Mikejc
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Mikejc wrote:This is exactly what the beast was built for \:D/ I'll be there :)

...about time you showed up!

:wink:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”