Which Cheapish Tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waelwulfas

Re: Which Cheapish Tyres

Post by waelwulfas »

Nowt wrong with Federal, I'm running standard 14" and they're fine, hard wearing excellent grip wet and dry. Look at your oversize wheels and suspension set up.
jont

Post by jont »

Baker wrote:
T1-R's sidewalls seem to be made out of lemon jelly.

I've noticed the same thing. Having put T1-Rs on my rears, I've got no idea what everyone is raving about. They're utterly utterly rubbish compared to the Bridgestones that it arrived from Japan with (along with cracking sidewalls) :-k
Maybe if you're using larger rims with very low profile Toyos the sidewall flex isn't so noticable? 8-[

What's really frustrating to me is the lack of alternatives for the standard 15" rims - certainly to get matched front + rears you're very limited. (think it's the Toyo's, or Yok AO22 which seem to have a really bad reputation in the wet. Nevertheless, I might try them next)

I have to agree with Lauren - what's the point in running a 200+ bhp car, then fitting cheap tyres. Just like I'd never use 95 unleaded instead of Optimax to save a few pennies, I don't see the point with tyres either. As I'm sure I read on here a while back, the cost of a decent set of tyres is still often less than your insurance excess.

From past experience I'd recommend Bridgestones or Goodyears, though I think Goodyears turn to chocolate if you track them.
sutats

Post by sutats »

Tiamat wrote:beg, borrow, steal, do whatever to raise some extra money.
its always worth putting decent rubber on your car, its the only thing in contact with the road and its not worth stinting on.

quigonjay wrote:To be honest, after all the accidents that there have been over the winter i'm astounded that people are even considering putting cheap tyres on an mr2

Lauren wrote:I guess its me and my interest in tyres. I just see them as too vital a part of the car to skimp on.

RedMR² wrote:Defo not worth skimping on tyres with an MR2! [-(

I fifth that! NEVER EVER skimp on tyres! Quality tyres when used for the appropriate weather conditions offer unrivalled wet and dry road-holding as well as braking performance.
btodd

Post by btodd »

Had Bridgestone Potenzas on rear when I bought the car which were the best tyres I had but have had nankang and Toyo's on since. not as good as Bridgestones obviously but a lot cheaper. Would not dare risk Nangkangs on the rear but no probs with Toyo T1's or T1'rs. Prefer the t1s but don''t think they are making it anymore although has anyone seen this seller on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Might give em a go.

With other cars have found Good Year to be crap and expensive, Michelin good last a long time but expensive and dunlop to be pretty good. Suppose it depends on how hard you are going to use your tyres!!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I'd refuse to by anything from this seller, simply based on his use of font size. Jeezuz, you need to be viewing at 4096x3072 for it to fit :twisted: [-X
Baker

Post by Baker »

to reiterate a point though, if you're a crass driver, even with £2000 of tyres you can end up in a ditch.

crap tyres are more fun in some ways.
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

JohnnyC wrote:T1-R's are deffo budget, I paid £240 for 4. Compared to £220 for 2 Pirelli Pzeros.

But they're only budget in price, not in quality :)

where you get yours for that price...my set cost near to £500 for my toyo t1r
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I've driven on lots of sets of tyres now, the biggest difference is having the correct width tyres on the car (staggered). When I bought my car it had 195's all round just going up to 205's at the rear made a huge difference, and moving to 195 & 225 width brigstone potenzas was the best thing I ever did.

I had some toyo t1s tyres for the track day at elvington, I didn't really like them, although they had superb grip they tended to snap on the limit more so than with crap budget tyres.

I've just ordered a set of 4 falken fk452's from camskill, came to bout £220. They've had some decent writeups so I thought i'd give em a go!

I'd consider falken a decent budget tyre, well their newer offerings anyways, but they're only £10 or so a corner cheaper than toyos!
ImageImage
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

agentturbo wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:T1-R's are deffo budget, I paid £240 for 4. Compared to £220 for 2 Pirelli Pzeros.

But they're only budget in price, not in quality :)

where you get yours for that price...my set cost near to £500 for my toyo t1r

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
Just checked today, and it's £150 for 2 rears, £92 for 2 fronts.
(Standard sizes of 195/55/15 & 225/50/15)

And there's a discount for Premium IMOC members :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”