Which Cheapish Tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

heathy

Which Cheapish Tyres

Post by heathy »

I have done 14000 miles on my current tyres and they haven't worn in the slightest which obviousley isn't good.

They are a brand I have never heard of called federal

They totally loose grip in the wet and I have to slow down to around 65mhp on some corners even on the A1 as I can feel the tyres wanting to loose grip of the road.

Even in the dry the front tyres tend to loose grip quite often, very very scary.

I have 17/40/215 tyres all round I know there meant to be wider on the back but my car came with standard alloys and they were all the same width so maybe rev1's are different :?

What are the best tyres to replace them I am on a serious budget though just want something to make the car safer.
quigley

Re: Which Cheapish Tyres

Post by quigley »

I'm in the same boat regards budget but you might want to spend a little more than you want on the thing that holds you to the road. You don't want to be thinking about tour tire choice when you're in a field wondering which way is up :shock:

I'm also intrested in the response to this as I will be doing wheels/tires in the near future.

Cheers

M.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

The best budget tyres you can get are apparently the toyo t1-r's, though most people don't regard them as budget.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

A539s are okay as RE720s. you could try them.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

beg, borrow, steal, do whatever to raise some extra money.
its always worth putting decent rubber on your car, its the only thing in contact with the road and its not worth stinting on.
as you have already found out what happens when you have bad rubber on the car, it affects braking, accellerating, handling and is quite frankly a danger to yourself.
toyos may not be a budget tyre, but they are quite reasonable and you will see instant benefits from putting them on.
i changed from budgets to toyos and the handling and stopping on my mk1 improved so much that i won't be going back to anything remotely cheap any more.
the way to look at it is how much do you want to keep you car? you've identified the handling problems, now imagine your inthe wet on a corner and suddenly have to press the brakes or change your angel of steering slightly.....
spend the extra!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

jonb- wrote:The best budget tyres you can get are apparently the toyo t1-r's, though most people don't regard them as budget.

Got 4 of them on my car for roughly the same price as 2 Pirelli's on the rears last time (standard sizes). However, they may not be so cheap in other sizes - looked at getting these for the FTO and they weren't cheap at all :(

The T1-R's are superb though :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

heathy wrote:Which Cheapish Tyres?

or you could ask 'How can i make my already skittish rev1 even more dangerous to drive?'
To be honest, after all the accidents that there have been over the winter i'm astounded that people are even considering putting cheap tyres on an mr2
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Toyo's aren't budget, they might be cheaper than goodyear and bridgestone, but they're hardly cheapies.

I've had them many times now and have just put a new set on again.

And yes, you really do need to have staggered sizes on there. you really want to be putting 245/35's on the rear if you have 215/40's on the front.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
EarL

Post by EarL »

jonb- wrote:The best budget tyres you can get are apparently the toyo t1-r's, though most people don't regard them as budget.

Budget!!! :shock:

...budget my ar5e!! :evil:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

EarL wrote:

Budget!!! :shock:

...budget my ar5e!! :evil:

They are budget though. You'd be better off spending a tenner more and getting F1s or SO3s these are in the mid £80 bracket for the size i use which i guess is similar to a lot of tubby owners using 17s.

I just put some S-Drives on my Beemer... £120 each (225/45/17). Toyos are a lot cheaper than that.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Lauren wrote:They are budget though. You'd be better off spending a tenner more and getting F1s or SO3s these are in the mid £80 bracket for the size i use which i guess is similar to a lot of tubby owners using 17s.

I just put some S-Drives on my Beemer... £120 each (225/45/17). Toyos are a lot cheaper than that.

£70 - £80 is not most people's idea of a budget tyre though.
£35 - £45 is most people's idea of a budget tyre though.
At £70 - £80 a corner you're still looking at £280 - £320 for new rubber as opposed to £140 - £180 for budget tyres.
Still think its worht paying the extra though, but do understand if you on a budget then £80 a corner is expensive.
Think I paid about £60 for my Toyo's can't recall exactly though.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I guess its me and my interest in tyres. I just see them as too vital a part of the car to skimp on.

What never ceases to amaze me is how someone will spend a stupid amount on blong rims and then shod them with teh cheapest tyres they can find. Its your only contact with teh road yadda, yadda.

Price depends on size too. MK1 sizes are pretty cheap and buying uber tyres (yoko advan neovas) for my mk1 was £75 per wheel but for the beemer with 17s its so much more expensive so your 'budget tyres' are comparitively more anyways.

If you want cheaper tyres run stock rim sizes.
craig

Post by craig »

Defo not worth skimping on tyres with an MR2! [-(

I have Falken FK452s on mine, great tyres and reasonably cheap.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

T1-R's are deffo budget, I paid £240 for 4. Compared to £220 for 2 Pirelli Pzeros.

But they're only budget in price, not in quality :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

JohnnyC wrote:T1-R's are deffo budget, I paid £240 for 4. Compared to £220 for 2 Pirelli Pzeros.

When it comes to tyres you very much get what you pay for.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

heathy wrote:I have done 14000 miles on my current tyres and they haven't worn in the slightest which obviousley isn't good.

They are a brand I have never heard of called federal

They totally loose grip in the wet and I have to slow down to around 65mhp on some corners even on the A1 as I can feel the tyres wanting to loose grip of the road.

Even in the dry the front tyres tend to loose grip quite often, very very scary.

I have 17/40/215 tyres all round I know there meant to be wider on the back but my car came with standard alloys and they were all the same width so maybe rev1's are different :?

What are the best tyres to replace them I am on a serious budget though just want something to make the car safer.

I think rev1's had 195's on the front and 205's on the rear. Rev2+ had 205 front and 225 rear afaik.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Lauren wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:T1-R's are deffo budget, I paid £240 for 4. Compared to £220 for 2 Pirelli Pzeros.

When it comes to tyres you very much get what you pay for.

Well despite them being half the price as the Pirelli's, they're not half the quality :mrgreen: Infact I've found them to be every bit as good :)

matt_mr2t wrote:I think rev1's had 195's on the front and 205's on the rear. Rev2+ had 205 front and 225 rear afaik.

Correct.

*****EDIT***** Sorry, correct about the rev1. Rev2+ had 195 front and 225 rear.
Last edited by JohnnyC on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

get rid of the federals - nasty nasty things (the type of tyres that have as a selling point -" they're black and round" ). I've had michelins, falkens (nasty), dunlop and toyo on my mr2. I'm now on my third set of toyo's - they don't last forever, i get about a year out of them, but they do last longer than super-sticky yoko's.

They're not a budget tyre , budget tyres have names like "road hog" and "street king". They are priced competitively for the lower end of the performance market. I wouldn't buy goodyears, as i've had bad experiences with them on another car, and bridgestones can be very expensive, but are really well regarded.

If you're like Lauren, the more expensive and shorter life tyres probably help to keep you off the grass sometimes when blasting around a track at high speed. Toyo track tyres don't seem to be held in high regard by many, but their road tyres are favored by many people.
Baker

Post by Baker »

i'll never understand tyres!! my old federals were far far better than the T1-R's i have now.

Nangkang ex500 and kuhmo ecsta were better too.

T1-R's sidewalls seem to be made out of lemon jelly.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Baker wrote:i'll never understand tyres!! my old federals were far far better than the T1-R's i have now.

Nangkang ex500 and kuhmo ecsta were better too.

T1-R's sidewalls seem to be made out of lemon jelly.

at least they should smell good then when i'm smoking them off the line :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”