[Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

which is better optimax (98) or tesco super unleaded (99)?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:24 pm

optimax
No votes
optimax
No votes
tesco's super unleaded
No votes

Total votes: 0

Mikejc

Re: [Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Post by Mikejc »

In a recent copy of Banzai mag the run tests on all of the pump fuels available from our forecourts, including.... regular 95ron, Tesco's new 99ron, BP Ultimate and Optimax. The tests were carried out back to back on an engine dyno, (ie engine out of car) They started with a base ignition setting of 13 degrees and then advanced the ignition 1 degree at a time until the engine showed signs of detonation. All the while taking note of the respected power figures from each fuel brand along the way.

I cant remember the exact power figures off of the top of my head but I can tell you the order in which the fuels tested come in...

1st) Optimax
2nd) BP Ultimate
3rd) Tesco 99ron
4th) 95ron

The Optimax was able to manage a considerable ignition advance compared to the other fuels tested and netted a great deal more bhp & torque as a result !

This is the first test of it's kind that I have come across to date and one that I fully believe in due to the strict and scientific way in which it was carried out.

So personally I will be putting my money in the direction of Optimax :wink:

Mikejc
Warlock

Re: [Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Post by Warlock »

Car always responds best to Optimax.
BP Ultimate isn't bad when you can't find a Shell station, but why is it always dearer?
The two times that I have tried Tesc 99 RON the car did not like it at all!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”