[Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

which is better optimax (98) or tesco super unleaded (99)?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:24 pm

optimax
No votes
optimax
No votes
tesco's super unleaded
No votes

Total votes: 0

brad927

[Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Post by brad927 »

Hi all

I was always led to believe that shell optimax was the best fuel for our mr2 turbo's because its got the highest octane or ron (are these the same thing?) of 98. Tonight i needed to fill up and i ended up at tesco garage, I used there super unleaded which has a octane of 99!! Could this stuff be better? :-k
I know optimax is better then normal unleaded, but that is usually 97 ron

I found a forum about shell optimax and someone has said that optimax acually has a ron nearer 99.9% but the say its a min of 98% for some reason, don't know how true that is? :^o

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks brad
scotti1

Re: [Mk2 Turbo] better than shell optimax?

Post by scotti1 »

I always ran on Optimax and occasionally gave a shot of octane booster for special occasions, never tried Tesco's but I'm guessing if it is higher octane then should be better as Jap fuel goes upto 103 doesn't it??
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Have a search about, tesco 99 ron has been discussed a fair few times.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I would say optimax purely for its detergent qualities.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:I would say optimax purely for its detergent qualities.

I don't have optimax anywhere near me but I'll still choose BP 97 over Tesco for the reasons stated above by Lauren.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I was always lead to believe Optimax is a low grade fuel with boosters in it any way.
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

I find Tesco 99 really crap. Tried it twice and just not impressed with it.
craig

Post by craig »

L0rdMike wrote:I find Tesco 99 really crap. Tried it twice and just not impressed with it.

I personally would choose BP/Optimax over Tesco fuel :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:I was always lead to believe Optimax is a low grade fuel with boosters in it any way.

Its got very good detergent qualities, so the performance improvements are kind of substantiated in this. In contrast supermarket fuels in tests was deemed to lack detergent qualities and thus be more likely to coke your engine up when in contrast Optimax has been demonstrated to remove them.

See my article (borrowed from my webshite) when it first came out:

Optimax is a new petrol developed by Shell and it’s widely available in the UK (Except Scotland). We often talk about the best exhaust or oil for our car, but have you ever considered what is the best petrol?

Well, Shell did, let me explain. There are three types of petrol commonly available at the pumps and these all have different Octane ratings. Octane measured in ‘RON’ is basically a measure of the quality of the fuel. The higher the octane rating the more ignition advance you can run before detonation occurs. So the higher the octane rating, the more power your car will produce. The three fuel types available are; Premium Unleaded, LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol) and Super Unleaded. So what’s the difference?

Premium Unleaded has an octane rating of 95 RON, LRP varies a little and can be between 95-97 RON. Super Unleaded is rated at 97 RON. Optimax which Shell claims increases the performance of your car and has been specially developed for ‘performance cars’ has an octane rating of 98.6 RON.

In Japan higher quality fuel is available with an octane rating of 100 RON (like our old ‘5-Star’). This is great for Japan but we can no longer obtain 5-Star, so Optimax is the next best thing.

But at what price I hear you say? Well Super Unleaded (SU) has always been a little more expensive as it is sold as a ‘premium fuel’ and in this respect Optimax is no different. As it is a low-sulphur based petrol Optimax is normally priced slightly lower than SU.

Now to the important part. Does it work? Well I run a highly modified supercharger that last time on the rolling road produced 182Bhp (static) running on Optimax. When I put the car on the rollers again on BP Super Unleaded it produced 178Bhp. That’s a 4Bhp difference! Adding a performance exhaust like a Magnex/Mongoose is unlikely to net you much more than that!

Of course you don’t have to take my word for it. EVO Magazine recently tested Optimax on 3 of their fleet cars (Civic Type-R, Jaguar XJR, BMW M-Coupe). Shell claims that Optimax ‘cleans’ the inlet valves of the engine and that heavy constituents in other fuels can leave deposits on the backs of the inlet valves with the poorest quality fuels leaving the most which can lead to a tar like gunge within a 1000miles (EVO, 2002).

In order to form an objective test as possible EVO placed cameras into the inlet tracts to determine if any deposits were present. Their test was to run the cars on ‘other’ unleaded fuels for 1500 miles and then use exclusively Optimax for a further 1500 miles before taking further pictures of the inlet valves. EVO also recorded the cars’ in-gear performance figures before and after the test.

Interestingly when EVO took the initial inlet valve pictures the Civic had the most deposits. This car had been using cheap supermarket petrol (so take heed!). The BMW and Jaguar were relatively clean using a variety of SU and regular unleaded.

So on to the results! The inlet valve pictures showed a marked improvement especially on the Civic whose inlet valves were rid of deposits entirely. The other two cars had very clean valves before the test so results were less marked. For the performance figures the best results were again on the Civic with a loss of 1.19 seconds for 60-80mph in fifth. The drivers of the cars all reported smoother running and a more responsive engine. EVO’s verdict? Shell’s Optimax does what it says it does, leading to smoother running, increasing performance and preventing build-up of performance-sapping deposits.

I would have to agree with EVO as I do try and use Optimax wherever possible and would refuse to use anything else when I go to the track (I even take a 20l Jerry Can full of the stuff!). I have never used anything less than SU but do notice that my car too is smoother and delivers better performance with Optimax. EVO’s other suggestion that ‘You get what you pay for’ seems to ring true here. Just as cheap tyres (you’d be amazed at the difference between cheap and premium tyres in terms of roadholding, predictability and handling. But that’s another article!).

Incidentally to get the most from Optimax you may need to advance your ignition timing. This is best achieved on a rolling road where everything can be monitored though you may be able to achieve the same by trial and error though be careful that the engine isn’t ‘pinking’ under load. I have distributor-less ignition so mine automatically adjusts. Re-setting the ECU may also help.

my copyright 2003
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

But due to the detergents within the fuel Optimax has a tendancy to leave a film of this in the cylinders. Better to fill up with a different (non detergent brand) every 3-4 fill ups.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not impressed with tesco 99, my car doesnt seem to like it as much as optimax......
Last edited by jimGTS on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Not that impressed with Shell or Esso Just see them good/average. But BP Super clean stuff.. now that really gives some kick!! :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Vindezal wrote:Not that impressed with Shell or Esso Just see them good/average. But BP Super clean stuff.. now that really gives some kick!! :wink:

Yeah man, I always use BP ultimate! My car loves it =D> =D>
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

BP must be the most overpriced petrol i've ever seen, on 1 road there's an esso, a BP and a shell and the BP is ALWAYS 2-3p/litre more expensive than the other two. Why people fill up there i don't know!
craig

Post by craig »

jonb- wrote:BP must be the most overpriced petrol i've ever seen, on 1 road there's an esso, a BP and a shell and the BP is ALWAYS 2-3p/litre more expensive than the other two. Why people fill up there i don't know!

Because Ultimate rocks! 8)
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

RedMR² wrote:
jonb- wrote:BP must be the most overpriced petrol i've ever seen, on 1 road there's an esso, a BP and a shell and the BP is ALWAYS 2-3p/litre more expensive than the other two. Why people fill up there i don't know!

Because Ultimate rocks! 8)

I'm talking about their usual unleaded

Edit: and any garage that causes that many missfills because they decide to change all the colours on their pumps should be shot.
craig

Post by craig »

ah ok, in that case " :? :? :? :? "
craig

Post by craig »

jonb- wrote:

Edit: and any garage that causes that many missfills because they decide to change all the colours on their pumps should be shot.

Bit harsh :mrgreen:

But I do think it is daft like you say ](*,)
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Tesco 99 for me. Cars runs better then when I used to use optimax and it has detergents to and is also used in rallying.

From the Sunday Times last weekend:

Sunday Times wrote:Tesco has produced this high-octane fuel by including 5% bioethanol. This is an eco-friendly way to boost performance; it's derived from sugar cane (or other crops) and used extensively in Brazil.
Supplied to Tesco by Greenenergy, it is the highest octane fuel available on UK forecourts (although other manufacturers are expected to follow suit) and the makers say it contains an advanced additive package to help remove deposits and ensure smooth engine running.
Full specification is available at www.greenenergy.com (0208 7404 7700). It is a case of suck it and see. Just as you swear by shell, other drivers have their own brand loyalties
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

In a recent copy of Banzai mag the run tests on all of the pump fuels available from our forecourts, including.... regular 95ron, Tesco's new 99ron, BP Ultimate and Optimax. The tests were carried out back to back on an engine dyno, (ie engine out of car) They started with a base ignition setting of 13 degrees and then advanced the ignition 1 degree at a time until the engine showed signs of detonation. All the while taking note of the respected power figures from each fuel brand along the way.

I cant remember the exact power figures off of the top of my head but I can tell you the order in which the fuels tested come in...

1st) Optimax
2nd) BP Ultimate
3rd) Tesco 99ron
4th) 95ron

The Optimax was able to manage a considerable ignition advance compared to the other fuels tested and netted a great deal more bhp & torque as a result !

This is the first test of it's kind that I have come across to date and one that I fully believe in due to the strict and scientific way in which it was carried out.

So personally I will be putting my money in the direction of Optimax :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”