Front Wheel Bearing Recommendations?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stephenj

Post by stephenj »

Hi All

Given the rather expensive nature of buying genuine Toyota front wheel bearings, please can anyone recommend any tried and tested good (and cheaper) alternatives? there seem to be quite a few I can find but i'm never sure of the quality.

Thanks in advance

Steve :)
Race Idiot

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Recommendations?

Post by Race Idiot »

I think I went for SKF bearings, but honestly if I could get em now I'd go for toyota.

https://www.vsm.skf.com/uk/en/search-pa ... ts=10&l=en

That should tell you the part number you need, I think they are the same NA and turbo but don't quote me on that as it's been a long time.

Another opiton would be if you can find what manufacturer toyota uses, googling leads me that NSK makes the oem ones but I can only find em in the US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Bearing- ... Swe7peVnG-

edit: hmmm definitely have to check if the bearings are same for na and turbo tho.... obvs the fronts will be the same
stephenj

Post by stephenj »

Thanks mate that's exactly the kind of info I was after :thumleft:

I'd love nothing more that to splash out on 2 genuine bearings as I need to do both fronts, but looking on MR2-Bens website, at £185 a corner it's a little expensive! :oops:

Steve
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Seeing as yer in Cornwall why not call TCB parts and ask em how much they do the OEM wheelbearings. Mr2 ben is always on the pricier side for stuff.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Hi,

Turbo and N/A front wheel bearings are the same.
Its 90369-30044 for all revs.

The link above is for rear wheel.

The correct size you need is: 30x63x42.

I used Optimal 982766 which lasted good for the last 5 years.
I put in Japanparts KK-22009 just recently. The optimal branded was still good, but the brake dust cover needed to be changed, so it got a new bearing.

I was never disappointed with blueprint products. Well, blueprint doesn't manufacture anything, but there is always some jap bearing inside their boxes. GMB or even Koyo if you are really lucky.

Here are some more options for you [Smile]

A.B.S.: 200100

AUGROS: 5189614/0

AUTOMOTIVE BEARINGS: ABK965

BENDIX: 050098B

BLUE PRINT: WBK510, ADT38214

BRT BEARINGS: BRT BEARINGS1116

CORTECO: 19019590

JAPANPARTS: KK-22009

DELPHI: BK510

DELTA: AWB296

DOYEN: 982766

FAG: 713618270

FEBI BILSTEIN: 27312

FIRST LINE: FBK338

FLENNOR: FR970172

GSP: GK1344

H&R: ABK965

HERTH+BUSS ELPARTS: J4702028

HK: 18/27

IRB: K-37/05

KACO: 4410.2

MOOG: 513022

NIPPARTS: J4702028

PEX: 160282

QUINTON HAZELL: QWB622

RHIAG: 682887

RUVILLE: 6910

SKF: VKBA1344

SNR: R16910

SPIDAN: 26721

TIMKEN: 73648

TRISCAN: 853013201

UNIPART: 1431

WERTHENBACH: 7461

Cheers
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Thats a good call, I've never had wheelbearings off blueprint but most other things I've bought from them have usually been japanese manufactured
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

I did something similar and bought MOOG items (I've used MOOG stuff at work before and they have always been good in that application.)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

I currently have blueprint:

Brake discs and pads (all)
Ignition coil
Dizzy cap
Ignition leads
Rear wheel bearing (NSK 43BDW06)
CV boots (inner and outer on one side)
Timing tensioner and idler (Koyo and GMB)

The tensioner (ADT37626) was my luckiest pick so far in regards of branding as it was the same (Koyo PU355816RR9D) as I would have got it from Toyota, but for the fraction of the price.

All the above parts are great quality.

I have ton of information of cheaper parts and already made a little guide of cheaper good quality timing parts. I was thinking to make a more comprehensive list, but the first guide got absolutely zero interest.

Cheers
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Yeah I think thats just because the forum gets about 3 users viewing it a day, not that anyone didn't care.

I mean you could put it up on FB but then it just gets lost in the noise

I'd be interested, especially decent suspension/steering bits

When looking up some of the parts you do see a lot of cross platform stuff. Like the wheel bearings look to be the same for camrys and even Lexus IS
stephenj

Post by stephenj »

That's great info Julius, thank you. I'd be interested in a copy of that list if possible?

Such a shame that FB seems to have killed of most forums. IMO FB is nowhere near a decent replacement for forums, especially when it comes to posting and archiving valuable information.

Personally i've avoided posting about technical stuff on FB as there are far too many contrary opinions.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Yes, that's correct.
The following vehicles using the same wheel bearing:

I have no FB, but that's right, it would be buried quickly in the feed.
I might put something together.

As for suspension/steering I have good experience with the following:
Rear ball joint: Japanparts BJ-216
Front ball joint: Japanparts BJ-224 (Don't buy Mapco 59334 as hardly any grease in it)

Tie rods: Japanparts RD-238
Tie rod ends - RTS 91-04011-1, RTS 91-04011-2
Rear drop links: Nipparts J4893008
Rack boot: Jakoparts J4102012 was lasting for years and kept well. Since I got a new steering rack I changed it to OE 45535-10050 as I got it for a good price.

Rear knuckle spherical bearing: Paul at TCB has some non genuine good quality for decent price including M14 bolts and nuts.
If you really want to cheap out: Febest TAB-002Z (<- no experience with this) + you need bolts and nuts: 90119-14035, 90170-14006

I'm on coilovers and non standard front ARB so no info on relating parts.

Hope it somewhat helps you.

Cheers
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'm interested in looking at alternate topmounts, however I think the only non toyota ones are KYB which are probably the oem supplier for the toyota ones anyway.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Race Idiot wrote:I'm interested in looking at alternate topmounts, however I think the only non toyota ones are KYB which are probably the oem supplier for the toyota ones anyway.

Well I have no experience with top mounts, but I would chance a:
Blueprint ADT380502, Japanparts RU-2319 for the front or ADT380505 for the rear.

Are yours worn out or just experimenting?

Cheers
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

stephenj wrote:That's great info Julius, thank you. I'd be interested in a copy of that list if possible?

Such a shame that FB seems to have killed of most forums. IMO FB is nowhere near a decent replacement for forums, especially when it comes to posting and archiving valuable information.

Personally i've avoided posting about technical stuff on FB as there are far too many contrary opinions.

You are most welcome Steve!
Which list you mean? If all the useful info after 9 years of ownership about aftermarket parts, that will take hours to compile which i might do in the future.

Cheers
stephenj

Post by stephenj »

Which list you mean? If all the useful info after 9 years of ownership about aftermarket parts, that will take hours to compile which i might do in the future.

AhI see, I read it as something you already had, so dont worry :D
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Juliuswws wrote:I currently have blueprint:

Ignition coil
Dizzy cap
Ignition leads

The tensioner (ADT37626) was my luckiest pick so far in regards of branding as it was the same (Koyo PU355816RR9D) as I would have got it from Toyota, but for the fraction of the price.

I have ton of information of cheaper parts and already made a little guide of cheaper good quality timing parts. I was thinking to make a more comprehensive list, but the first guide got absolutely zero interest.

Cheers

Buddy I would nsap your hand off for that. :D

Even if it was RAW data for me ot at least comb through. Right now I'm planning ot make a list of parts that i can get fromother sources, such as different bolts from MCMaster Carr.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Juliuswws wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:I'm interested in looking at alternate topmounts, however I think the only non toyota ones are KYB which are probably the oem supplier for the toyota ones anyway.

Blueprint ADT380502, Japanparts RU-2319 for the front or ADT380505 for the rear.

Cheers

Neat! Well mine are trd ones, but I've given them quite a hard life on track and also crashing into a barrier on track. I've started hearing them over bumps so they are definitely on the list for replacement sooner rather than later.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Race Idiot wrote:
Juliuswws wrote:

Cheers

Neat! Well mine are trd ones, but I've given them quite a hard life on track and also crashing into a barrier on track. I've started hearing them over bumps so they are definitely on the list for replacement sooner rather than later.

Gotcha
Are your trds have a ball bearing in them or just a spherical bearing? Also, are the sealed well against water? I hope you get what I mean.
Reason I'm asking as I had topmount wear years ago because the bearing was not weatherproof either top or bottom. Rear left is most vulnerable as rain drips on top of the mount. Mine was aftermarket coilover topmount, I'm just curious if OE type could suffer the same.
My solution below
Raindiverter ver.1.0 :)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Equium Duo wrote:
Juliuswws wrote:I currently have blueprint:

Ignition coil
Dizzy cap
Ignition leads

Cheers

Buddy I would nsap your hand off for that. :D

Even if it was RAW data for me ot at least comb through. Right now I'm planning ot make a list of parts that i can get fromother sources, such as different bolts from MCMaster Carr.

I'll keep my hands away than :)

What car have you got? I mostly have info on consumables for REV3+ turbo.
For bolts, I usually go to Toyota.

What consumables are you planning to change?

Cheers
stephenj

Post by stephenj »

GMB or even Koyo if you are really lucky.

Loocks like i was really lucky, ordered a pair of Blueprint Bearings and they're both KOYO which is the same as what came out of the hub.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”