NA exhaust suggestions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mellow Matt

NA exhaust suggestions

Post by Mellow Matt »

It seems the cat/backbox joint on my car ('96 NA G-limited) has rotted through, and I'm on the search for replacement parts.

I'm not after anything special, but having spoken to MR2 Ben he's quoted around £375 for mild steel replacement parts or another £100-ish for stainless, and he's the only place I've managed to get a quote for off the shelf parts!

Otherwise I've only been able to get quotes from fabricators. I've had a quote from MIJ Performance Exhausts for about £350 for a stainless catback including fitting, which seems pretty good, except it's about 2 hrs away from me...

Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere I might be able to get replacement parts or a decent fabricator down south (near-ish Maidenhead)?

Apologies if this has been covered before, strangely the search keeps returning nothing for "exhaust"...!

Ta :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Re: NA exhaust suggestions

Post by SonicSW20 »

A used Mongoose is the go-to suggestion usually for good reason - they are well made, they look decent, and they sound decent. The Blueflame is of similar quality but has different tips. Generally not as popular as the Mongoose and therefore can be found cheaper.

One that often gets overlooked as they are quite unusual is the Janspeed (not JAPspeed) exhaust. It's very civilised at partial throttle and only gets noisy at WOT. It's one of two exhausts (well 3 if you count stock) I have for mine. They don't seem to come up for sale very often, I've seen a few cars for sale with one on though so they are around.

Japspeed is another option. Personally I'm not a fan of it on an NA - too noisy. You also cannot run a catalytic converter with it.

The custom option isn't a bad way to go as you can specify what tips you want and how you want it to sound. Just make sure that they retain your stock downpipe flange - this means you can easily fit a stock one (or another aftermarket) again at a later date if needed.
Mellow Matt

Post by Mellow Matt »

Thanks for the info Gazza.

Unfortunately I can't find any of your suggestions on ebay at the mo. I'l keep an eye out for a Janspeed or Mongoose/Blueflame though, ta.

Ideally I'd like something fairly quiet, so it looks like fabrication is probably the best option for me at the moment if I can't find anything second hand. I'm also in a bit of a rush as I'm commuting on my motorbike at the moment, and it's bloody cold! :lol:

If anyone has any recommendations for fabricators that'd be great, else I'll just go and visit some.

Cheers
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Are you on Facebook? There's a few MR2 specific parts groups on there. Put a wanted post up, I reckon you'll be able to get a decent Mongoose within a month.
Mellow Matt

Post by Mellow Matt »

Ah, interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it out, ta.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

I had a customer with rev 5 na had same corroded cat to rear box joint. I got my local fabricator to cut off the flange and make up a slide in joint for it. Was about £70 I think. That was Bell Fabrications in Cricklade near Swindon.

I happen to have 2 standard NA exhausts with cats sat in the workshop if you get stuck.
Mellow Matt

Post by Mellow Matt »

I've just actually heard that same solution from someone I just called, it sounds like a good option.

I'll give you a shout if I can't sort it out though, thanks :thumleft:
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

No problem.
Hope you get it sorted. :thumleft:
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

I've got a mongoose going spare if you decide to try aftermarket
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

If you do end up looking at custom exhausts check out Longlife; you can check for their nearest shop to you on their website.

I've gone to the one in Leeds a few times with various cars and always been very good, although has been a bit on the pricey side more recently...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”