Rev 3 turbo boost spike

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

azznwab

Re: Rev 3 turbo boost spike

Post by azznwab »

Does everyone agree with androo007 about not goin over 14 psi with standard intercooler
androo007

Post by androo007 »

It's just an opinion but it's up to you. So many cars just have boost whacked up no proper supporting mods boosted to the limits of safety then complain when the engine gives after 6 months of batting the fzck out of it.
azznwab

Post by azznwab »

A upgraded intercooler is what i was intending to do next anyway, i was just aiming for 15 psi because this is what it was boosting at when i brought the car last year. Then the car dropped boost to about 12 to 13 psi and it sounded like a leak that was pulsating, so after a bit if digging on the net i brought a cheapo ebay mbc so i could set back at 15 psi and block off t-vsv.

This is why i assumed 15 psi might of been ok and why i was asking for a general feeling on the subject.

Thanks for reply
steven63

Post by steven63 »

high and low boost are just 2 different boost settings that you can set yourself, one for low boost when crawling around town and then switch to the high boost setting when you want full power, the gain setting is were you adjust the boost up or down
steven63

Post by steven63 »

stock boost on a rev3 is 12/13psi
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:yeah I'd read that before, seems interesting, have you played about with it/got it installed yet?

probably minimal difference in hassle too, since you won't have to pull half of the interior out to run cables etc

All i've done so far is power it up out of the car and connect to it to test it works, I had been waiting on the usb/serial adapter as Greddy fitted a USB port on the unit but it's not actually a USB interface.

All the centre console and what not is out at the minute and i've half a dozen cables to run for gauges and what not so perhaps next week i'll get it installed or at the very least have all the wiring done.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i personally prefer the old blitz spec s and spec r boost controllers over the old greddy ones.

looks nice too in black

mappable boost controller, only really need on high hp cars IMO that require bit less boost in lower gears to avoid wheel spin. but thats just me.

im sure there awesome, but im super happy with a 15+year old blitz.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

azznwab wrote:A upgraded intercooler is what i was intending to do next anyway, i was just aiming for 15 psi because this is what it was boosting at when i brought the car last year. Then the car dropped boost to about 12 to 13 psi and it sounded like a leak that was pulsating, so after a bit if digging on the net i brought a cheapo ebay mbc so i could set back at 15 psi and block off t-vsv.

This is why i assumed 15 psi might of been ok and why i was asking for a general feeling on the subject.

Thanks for reply

sure this is not ambiant temp related?? its been hot the last few months.
warmer weather usually see less boost.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I will have a greddy profec B II for sale in a couple of weeks if you're happy to wait.

Only selling as upgrading ECU with inbuilt boost control.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

azznwab wrote:A upgraded intercooler is what i was intending to do next anyway, i was just aiming for 15 psi because this is what it was boosting at when i brought the car last year. Then the car dropped boost to about 12 to 13 psi and it sounded like a leak that was pulsating, so after a bit if digging on the net i brought a cheapo ebay mbc so i could set back at 15 psi and block off t-vsv.

Thanks for reply

So, if I'm reading that right, you tried to fix a boost leak or sensor issue by bodging in a cheap manual boost controller?
Not really the normal method for problem solving, chucking money and mods at it.

All you have done is masked an issue that may well be getting worse and you still don't know what the issue is. Now you are talking about upgraded intercoolers and the limit of boost etc, not taking one second to remedy a fault.

Please do find the original problem, fix that then look to push the limits of boost.

BTW the stock intercooler is a bit rubbish at stock boost, going over 1 bar isn't going to make it any better.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”