Rev 3 turbo boost spike

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

azznwab

Rev 3 turbo boost spike

Post by azznwab »

Hi all, i am experiencing some boost spike on my rev 3 turbo. It builds boost very quickly early in revs, probably 3.5k to 4k rpm to about 17psi, then drops to 15.5 ish. Tonight drove home from work and it hit fuel cut at about 17.5 to 18 psi and when eased off and fether power back in higher in rpm it then settled at 16psi. Im aiming to settle my boost at 15-16psi if possible. I recently fitted mbc to take tsvs out of the equation but still have a spike

Any help would be much appreciated

My mods are
Decat
Scorpion exhaust
Apexi induction
Ebay mbc.

I have also changed dizzy and rotary arm, sparks, coolant temp sensor and clutch
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Rev 3 turbo boost spike

Post by Martin F »

Either turn down the mbc a bit or buy an electronic version that will get you to your desired settings more safely and accurately, :thumleft:
steven63

Post by steven63 »

rev3 turbo do not respond well to MBC and its difficult to get the boost spot on, a good EBC like the greddy profec B does work well and will hold 17psl from 3500rpm to7000rpm
androo007

Post by androo007 »

As above ditch mbc and get some proper boost control on there. An eBay mbc I'd not something you want to trust....
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

The spike will only get worse the colder the weather gets too.

As above, get an ebc.
azznwab

Post by azznwab »

Thanks guys,
whats the cheapest reliable ebc for my rev 3 and what do i get for spending more and so on (i will have turn down for while and do little saving),

also should i be hitting fuel cut at 18psi or a tad lower,

and whats psi is safe for my daily set up?

Thanks again
steven63

Post by steven63 »

18psi is fuel cut, many owners run 17psi but if you want it as you put it SAFE dont raise the boost.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Even with the very best EBC you can buy, if you're flying close to the sun (I.e 17/18psi) then you can still force the car to hit boost cut through driving it hard, I.e a hard downshift coupled with a planted throttle will do it, the stock wastegate is just too small to be able to ditch exhaust gas quick enough to catch it.

Best thing you can do is port the wastegate, set your boost controller to bring the boost in gradually (via start boost and gain settings) and to drive it smoothly, failing that a decent sized external gate will sort it, but that's more expensive
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

You're also pushing it running a stock side mount intercooler.

I wouldnt be boosting past 14psi without cooling upgrades..... what you are doing now is a ticking timebomb
azznwab

Post by azznwab »

Is this standard protocol 14 psi with standard intercooler?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I realise it's all a bit subjective but any recommendations on a good EBC?
I just took a look and it seems Greddy, HKS, Blitz etc all seem to offer very similar products with nice gucci displays.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:I realise it's all a bit subjective but any recommendations on a good EBC?
I just took a look and it seems Greddy, HKS, Blitz etc all seem to offer very similar products with nice gucci displays.

I've got one of these mate

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-pr ... e.co.uk%2F

which I'm more than happy with..

GReddy have recently released this add on too

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-profec-map.html

which looks like an awesome bit of kit - makes the controller properly mappable:

FEATURES:
- Boost Map Correction - Fine boost tuning settings via 10x10 boost maps (Load vs Duty %)
- Boost Correction by RPM, Throttle Position, Speed, Gear Position, or Water Temp
- Additional Profec monitoring and data loging via PC software
- AUX input for Over Take Boost Function future using optional Remote Switching System
- Plugs-in easily in between Profec Display/Control unit and Profec main unit
- Additional connections depending on application.
- PC Compatible (Profec MAP software) with use of mini-USB to USB cable (sold separately)
- OS: (Japanese, English) Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32bit, 64bit)
- CPU: 1GHz or more 32bit or 64bit processor
- Memory: 1GB or more
- HDD free space: 20MB or more

which no other stand alone boost controller can do, the only way you'd get those features otherwise would be with a high spec standalone ECU
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

That's a good price from RHD Japan or at least best i've seen so far, after a quick read it seems the HKS EVC 6 is mappable as well.

So what requirement is there to a boost controller perfectly mappable? is this so you can tailor boost levels at a given RPM or other input? I must admit i've always thought of it as a case of set for X amount of boost and away you go!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I stand corrected! it seems that the EVC 6 is kind of mappable - news to me, looking at the manual it's all done through the display though, which seems a lot more clunky than a PC based software, the greddy allows datalogging too which is nice.

mappable boost is by far not essential, but a 'nice to have' especially if you want to limit boost low down for traction or slam the boost in hard in lower gears, but feather it in in higher gears where there's more load on the motor, for example.

the profec MAP is on my "want to buy" list, but there's other things I need before that
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:I stand corrected! it seems that the EVC 6 is kind of mappable - news to me, looking at the manual it's all done through the display though, which seems a lot more clunky than a PC based software, the greddy allows datalogging too which is nice.

mappable boost is by far not essential, but a 'nice to have' especially if you want to limit boost in first for traction, slam the boost in hard in lower gears, but feather it in in higher gears where there's more load on the motor, for example.

the profec MAP is on my "want to buy" list, but there's other things I need before that

We both know Want = Need.

It seems to can connect to the HKS unit via USB using their "Easywriter" software only but for the older model EVC you need an Easywriter add-on component.

Either way I do need to get one so more research required...
azznwab

Post by azznwab »

Well guys this is getting a little above my head and i will try to read into it after work. What is the price in gbp for this item
azznwab

Post by azznwab »

So I've looked at some adverts on ebay and noticed the greddy profec type s has manual analogue style nobs while the type b has digital display. Im only guessing that the only difference is above (please correct me ). So can someone please explain what the low boost, high boost and gain adjustments actually do thanks
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

azznwab wrote:So I've looked at some adverts on ebay and noticed the greddy profec type s has manual analogue style nobs while the type b has digital display. I'm only guessing that the only difference is above (please correct me ). So can someone please explain what the low boost, high boost and gain adjustments actually do thanks

profec type S and Profec B spec II are both old, obsolete units, instructions for both are still available online though.

http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/PRofec_S.pdf

http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/PRofec_Bspec2.pdf

there's little difference in price between old second hand boost controllers, which usually end up needing the wiring repaired/extended as they're often cut out of cars and a brand new one, it makes more sense to buy new
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:I realise it's all a bit subjective but any recommendations on a good EBC?

I've got one of these mate

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-pr ... e.co.uk%2F

which I'm more than happy with..

GReddy have recently released this add on too

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-profec-map.html

which looks like an awesome bit of kit - makes the controller properly mappable:

FEATURES:
- Boost Map Correction - Fine boost tuning settings via 10x10 boost maps (Load vs Duty %)
- Boost Correction by RPM, Throttle Position, Speed, Gear Position, or Water Temp
- Additional Profec monitoring and data loging via PC software
- AUX input for Over Take Boost Function future using optional Remote Switching System
- Plugs-in easily in between Profec Display/Control unit and Profec main unit
- Additional connections depending on application.
- PC Compatible (Profec MAP software) with use of mini-USB to USB cable (sold separately)
- OS: (Japanese, English) Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32bit, 64bit)
- CPU: 1GHz or more 32bit or 64bit processor
- Memory: 1GB or more
- HDD free space: 20MB or more

which no other stand alone boost controller can do, the only way you'd get those features otherwise would be with a high spec standalone ECU

Going a little off topic here but it seems I can use my emanage as an ebc although a somewhat simple one by controlling a solenoid via the subinjector map and tweaking the duty cycle to get the desired boost setting. No where near as straight forward as connecting up a profec and plugging some the desired boost setting in mind.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/726334- ... t-control/
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

yeah I'd read that before, seems interesting, have you played about with it/got it installed yet?

probably minimal difference in hassle too, since you won't have to pull half of the interior out to run cables etc

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”