external wastegate question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobhatton

Re: external wastegate question

Post by bobhatton »

dylan5084 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:So I had sneaking suspisions that My manifold had cracked, so I've took off the heat wrap, some of the heat wrap had turned into glass... Pretty hot! and yep it is cracked so I'll defo take your manifold mate

means I can cut off the flange of both and weld my one into the other without feeling like I've wasted money that could have been recouped from selling the old manifold

Just won A tial wastegate on eBay too so it seals the deal for me :thumleft:

I'll weld the old one just now so I can still use the car, as the crack is accessible from to top anyway

Heat wrapped manifold will give problems with cracking, it will also be the cause of your over boost problems.

No need to do anything with the stock waste gate, it can be run with the external one as long as you feed the same boost signal from the manifold to both.

Right, so I'd be better not wrapping the next one? Was thinking I could put a blanket over it.

So to send the same signal to both gates, would just require a T piece and some vac lines?

Yes use a blanket over the turbine housing, they work well.

As long as the springs in the waste gate are less than the boost you want to run, just tee into one signel line from the manifold and away you go.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

Heat wrapped manifold will give problems with cracking, it will also be the cause of your over boost problems.

No need to do anything with the stock waste gate, it can be run with the external one as long as you feed the same boost signal from the manifold to both.

Right, so I'd be better not wrapping the next one? Was thinking I could put a blanket over it.

So to send the same signal to both gates, would just require a T piece and some vac lines?

Yes use a blanket over the turbine housing, they work well.

As long as the springs in the waste gate are less than the boost you want to run, just tee into one signel line from the manifold and away you go.

so just leave the 4 branch exposed? i want to run a bar of boost, silly question i know but do i use a 1bar spring in the EWG or less like 0.9?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Its a magor pain .. you need to suck it n see spring wise , see what it produces .

I've always used boost control .. stock boost is 5 to 7 psi :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

dylan5084 wrote:

so just leave the 4 branch exposed? i want to run a bar of boost, silly question i know but do i use a 1bar spring in the EWG or less like 0.9?

Yes, do not wrap the manifold or down pipe.
I would use a 8 or 10 psi spring and a boost controler to set the boost you want to run
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:

I would use a 8 or 10 psi spring and a boost controler to set the boost you want to run

am i better to make up some sort of heat shield between the manifold and the hot pipe?

ive got a blitz dsbc to control the boost, willi need a fuel cut defender to run a bar?

boost creep nearly killed me this morning on the way home from work, had the controller turned right down but with the nice cold morning it boost crept when i was overtaking a lorry and fuel cut, had to turn the car off n on mid overtake with traffic getting closer n closer
shinny

Post by shinny »

dylan5084 wrote:boost creep nearly killed me this morning on the way home from work, had the controller turned right down but with the nice cold morning it boost crept when i was overtaking a lorry and fuel cut, had to turn the car off n on mid overtake with traffic getting closer n closer

Wait, what? You shouldn't need to restart the car just because you fuel cut! I'll throw up the CEL momentarily but otherwise you should be able to get straight back on the power (or at least part throttle)
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Any positive pressure and it cuts again until the car is turned off n on again, so no power really
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:

Bob my hks evc 6 says to choose from a popit valve (external) and swing (internal) how can you control both at the same time :?:
shinny

Post by shinny »

dylan5084 wrote:Any positive pressure and it cuts again until the car is turned off n on again, so no power really

That's not my experience of fuel cut...
jon

Post by jon »

shinny wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:Any positive pressure and it cuts again until the car is turned off n on again, so no power really

I believe Rev 2 and Rev 3 differ in behaviour. Rev 3 will just cut power until boost drops below limit and then allow boost again as normal. Rev 2 will prevent any boost until ignition is turned off.
shinny

Post by shinny »

jon wrote:
shinny wrote:

I believe Rev 2 and Rev 3 differ in behaviour. Rev 3 will just cut power until boost drops below limit and then allow boost again as normal. Rev 2 will prevent any boost until ignition is turned off.

Fair enough!

I'm running an ST205 ECU anyway, so I guess my behaviour could be different anyway...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

2mad wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:

Bob my hks evc 6 says to choose from a popit valve (external) and swing (internal) how can you control both at the same time :?:

Just feed the same signel to both, they will open up
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

dylan5084 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
dylan5084 wrote:

am i better to make up some sort of heat shield between the manifold and the hot pipe?

Yes, heat shielding is the way to do it.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Well I just went for a run with my internal actuator disconnected and my external running only on actuator pressure. I was creeping to 1.2bar in second and hit fuel-cut in third... so if the internal actuator was opening (and I can't say for certain it wasn't) it clearly wasn't letting much exhaust gas through!
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

So do I need a fcd for 14psi? Rev 2
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

ive just got round to doing this and the manifold i bought is at the wrong angle and about an inch out to the intercooler side...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”