Turbo Technics Rebuild/Upgrade thoughts?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: Turbo Technics Rebuild/Upgrade thoughts?

Post by Race Idiot »

Its a shame that none of the affiliates here can get the crw billet ct20b
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=486474
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Or the ATS ct21.

(Basically similar).
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Race Idiot wrote:Its a shame that none of the affiliates here can get the crw billet ct20b

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/97193 ... -available!

Looks very good :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'd be tempted if someone here sold em, the main problem with getting it from the us is they want your ct20b as a core.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

To be fair there's still little info on both these turbos and dyno plots.

Some folk saying feels no different to a stock 20b, other saying it gained them 20hp.
Can you justify probably £1k shipped/duties+core for potentially no gains to 20hp.

Also take the numbers with a pinch of salt, no one over here dynos numbers like you see on a dynojet.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I definitely felt a difference when switching to a billet compressor on my TD05 though. Dunno about power but it definitely improved how quick it spooled.

I'm not too fussed about more power but if it made for an even quicker spooling ct20 i'd like that! I can never make out dyno charts, can you tell if it makes boost quicker than a normal ct20?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

boost and torque plot would usually give you an idea.

but there are other factors, when the pull is started, what gear and how boost has been dialled in.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:To be fair there's still little info on both these turbos and dyno plots.

Some folk saying feels no different to a stock 20b, other saying it gained them 20hp.
Can you justify probably £1k shipped/duties+core for potentially no gains to 20hp.

Also take the numbers with a pinch of salt, no one over here dynos numbers like you see on a dynojet.

The ct20b is toyota's hybrid version of the the ct26 .. think about all the money and development that went in to it .. its not an easy turbo to improve , they got it right the first time .. stronger shaft and a 360 thrust-bearing, thats all id do to it . maybe a billet compressor to offset the stronger shaft 8-[
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

True, but its design is over 20 years old at this stage!

So, I'm seeing that staying away from TT seems to be the thing. A few other suggestions out there. I have little interest in upgrading to a different turbo setup which is why I wanted to stay with a CT20 mount/piping. If it's faster spool and more torque, that's all I want really!

Supporting mods of inlet, exhaust, I/C, boost controller and PFC should help in extracting what I'm looking for.

Appreciate all the replies so far
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Being over 20 years old doesn't make it any less good. To be honest if you are staying at or around the 300 fwhp mark, it's the only turbo to have. All these hybrids are nonsense imo, claiming 340bhp odd but never coming to fruition just bring big boost creep instead.

If you are staying with OEM ECU and fuel stick with the CT20b imo, unless you CT20b is damaged them maybe look at the hybrids
craig

Post by craig »

The CT20b turbo is a great little turbo for the 3SGTE engine. Toyota spent sh*tloads on research to have the complete and correct set up on the 3SGTE.

As Odin says, the age of the turbo is irrelevant.

I'm running 1.2 bar on a strengthened, refurbished CT20b (Steel shaft and 360 degree thrust washer), Apexi FC ECU, Forged 86.5mm Wossners, stock head/fueling, De-cat, massive chargecooler and a mongoose exhaust.

Dyno'd at 306 bhp, and goes like a sh*t off a shiny shovel. I'm happy with that. :mrgreen:

Not into chasing big numbers, just want a fast road car. And for 300+ bhp, the CT20b is an ideal candidate.

:thumleft:
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I meant more in terms of nothing wrong with improving on a 20 year old design with modern upgrades such as the steel shaft and 360 bearing.

Red, was that at the fly or wheels? Your setup sounds similar enough to mine and goal is the same.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

RedMR² wrote:The CT20b turbo is a great little turbo for the 3SGTE engine. Toyota spent sh*tloads on research to have the complete and correct set up on the 3SGTE.

As Odin says, the age of the turbo is irrelevant.

I'm running 1.2 bar on a strengthened, refurbished CT20b (Steel shaft and 360 degree thrust washer), Apexi FC ECU, Forged 86.5mm Wossners, stock head/fueling, De-cat, massive chargecooler and a mongoose exhaust.

Dyno'd at 306 bhp, and goes like a sh*t off a shiny shovel. I'm happy with that. :mrgreen:

Not into chasing big numbers, just want a fast road car. And for 300+ bhp, the CT20b is an ideal candidate.

:thumleft:

If a billet compressor wheel can improve spool on an old tech turbo like a TD05 I dont see why the something simmilar can apply to the CT20.
craig

Post by craig »

SteveH wrote:I meant more in terms of nothing wrong with improving on a 20 year old design with modern upgrades such as the steel shaft and 360 bearing.

Red, was that at the fly or wheels? Your setup sounds similar enough to mine and goal is the same.

Flywheel bud. :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Race Idiot wrote:Its a shame that none of the affiliates here can get the crw billet ct20b

We are working on it, but it will be our design
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

bobhatton wrote:
We are working on it, but it will be our design

Sounds good! I'm sure i've got a duff ct20 somewhere :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

SteveH wrote:I meant more in terms of nothing wrong with improving on a 20 year old design with modern upgrades such as the steel shaft and 360 bearing.

I'm quite happy with my stock ct20 too. my stock motor and stock turbo with somewhere around 90k on and 1.05 bar is 293 flywheel on a hot day on a dyno dynamics.

However if I had a forged build and programmable ecu etc I'd want more than a ct20. The 3071 I had briefly really had a kick to it.or maybes a more streetable disco potato. I reckon that would be a good set up. If you're spending that much cash then you want something special at least.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Do people think anywhere close to 340 is possible on a CT20 on a rev 5?
Nails

Post by Nails »

Maybes at 1.5 bar or something but it'll all be hot air at that level which means retarded timing too far and cracked block. Not saying that will happen but odds will be against you. A gt28 would be good for that level though.

a rev 5 would be same power as a rev 3 / 4 also.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Was thinking it would be something like that.

GT28 means new piping etc though, right? If its not possible, not too bothered, just want to make sure. Im just after torque and spool

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”