Big brake kits - which one for a track car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

J-1

Big brake kits - which one for a track car?

Post by J-1 »

Not ready to buy just yet, but having a look this morning at big brake kits.
It'll be for the 5SGTE track car so I want something fairly serious.

I've seen the Nissan and Supra conversions for the MK2, but what about the kits from the likes of Wilwood, D2, Tarox, K-sport etc??? Has anyone had one?

I'll need to fit them under a 17" wheel
mr2magic

Re: Big brake kits - which one for a track car?

Post by mr2magic »

None of your out of the box or conversion kits are really designed for the track as none of them addresses the problem of the altered brake balance/bias with the new system.

Both WMS and Wolfkatz offer kits which address the problem, but I have no experience with them.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

mr2magic wrote:None of your out of the box or conversion kits are really designed for the track as none of them addresses the problem of the altered brake balance/bias with the new system.

Both WMS and Wolfkatz offer kits which address the problem, but I have no experience with them.

How are their kits different and able to do this?

Not a trick question. Just don't know the answer!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

We have never needed any more that stock brakes and Porterfield pads for track days and that is all we use on our hill climb and sprint cars too
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

It really depends....either the combination rotor, caliper and pads sized such that front/rear bias is retained or a different brake proportioning valve with a different slope and knee point. I think.....please note i don't know.....they both concentrate purely on the correct sizing of the components while retaining the stock p-valve.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've only used the wms kit, it works well on track for me!
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

The way we approach it is to make sure that for a given line pressure, each wheel's brakes give the same (or very close) the standard amount of torque, allowing the vast majority of people to retain the standard master cylinder and bias valve etc. Or course if people want more front or rear bias the setup can be customised, but most don't.

The normal way this happens is as the discs get larger (and disipate heat faster etc as a result), the pistons can get smaller, giving you a better pedal feel.

Here are a few real examples of the way the bias is affected (I haven't got the numbers for the new/due soon Supra front disc 4-pot / RX8 rear disc OEM caliper setup, I can do them if you like?) :

Standard Rev 1 Mk2:

Standard Rev 2 Mk2:

...so that's the standard cars, here are the upgraded options....

Rev 2 rear brakes matched with 298.5mm disc / 1.38" piston WMS kit, what most people would use I'd have thought:

Rev 1 rear brakes matched with 298.5mm disc / 1.25" piston WMS kit, handy to know it works:

-------------- the ones below don't have a handbrake (WMS 4 pot front and rear) so are full-race only -----------------

Maintains bais, might have a soft pedal:

Increases front bias, medium pedal:

Increases rear bias, best pedal:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Keri-WMS wrote:(I haven't got the numbers for the new/due soon Supra front disc 4-pot / RX8 rear disc OEM caliper setup, I can do them if you like?)

Keri- when are you likely to have this set up available?
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

ashley wrote:
Keri-WMS wrote:(I haven't got the numbers for the new/due soon Supra front disc 4-pot / RX8 rear disc OEM caliper setup, I can do them if you like?)

Keri- when are you likely to have this set up available?

We're waiting for the caliper we're using in this kit to arrive so we can move forward, ought to be a couple of weeks give or take. They should have been here by now! :|
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

Keri

I have the supra / RX8 group buy set up, will your front caliper upgrade match up with that?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

keri, don't argue with Bob. He's the only one with the knowledge on brakes :neutral:
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Mike 2 wrote:Keri

I have the supra / RX8 group buy set up, will your front caliper upgrade match up with that?

The idea is we're creating a range of upgrades around the Supra/RX8 discs:

- Our own F+R Supra/RX8 BBKs using the OEM Rev2 calipers
- A front 4 pot kit on the Supra disc (will upgrade existing people's BBKs)
- MAYBE alloy bells/rotos as a straight swap for the Supra / RX8 discs (will upgrade existing people's BBKs)
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Keri-WMS wrote:
-------------- the ones below don't have a handbrake (WMS 4 pot front and rear) so are full-race only -----------------

Will you ever be making this sort of kit with a handbrake? So we can do away with the standard calipers all together? I'd be right up for that. Along with allot bells, etc.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JAAASH wrote:
Will you ever be making this sort of kit with a handbrake? So we can do away with the standard calipers all together? I'd be right up for that. Along with allot bells, etc.

I'd love to get rid of the slider rears too! Maybe a little secondary handbrake caliper like you see on some cars?
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Race Idiot wrote:
JAAASH wrote:

I'd love to get rid of the slider rears too! Maybe a little secondary handbrake caliper like you see on some cars?

JAAASH wrote:
Keri-WMS wrote:

That's the plan. I don't have a timescale for the handbrake but alloy bells / rotors should happen soonish.
ashley

Post by ashley »

We're waiting....no pressure, but once you have the "full" solution I will be interested...
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

ashley wrote:We're waiting....no pressure, but once you have the "full" solution I will be interested...

:thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ashley wrote:We're waiting....no pressure, but once you have the "full" solution I will be interested...

+1 :wink:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

+2 :thumleft:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

+3 8)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”