[Mk2] [Turbo] Gen2 to Gen3 sensors & AFM delete.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nuttasie

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gen2 to Gen3 sensors & AFM delete.

Post by nuttasie »

I keep reading this hks vpc thingy. If I can get hold of one is it easy to fit and tune.

I bought one ages ago but still in bed drawer as once i added the price of chip,ait and map £100+, thought stuff it and decided to go rev3.

if you can get vehicle specific thats a different story but the don't show up very often.think mine was of a nissan originally, an srd something or other,can't remember #-o [/quote]
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

nuttasie wrote:

I keep reading this hks vpc thingy. If I can get hold of one is it easy to fit and tune.

I bought one ages ago but still in bed drawer as once i added the price of chip,ait and map £100+, thought stuff it and decided to go rev3.

if you can get vehicle specific thats a different story but the don't show up very often.think mine was of a nissan originally, an srd something or other,can't remember #-o
[/quote]

I have an unused one here for an MR2, just need to find it.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Why on earth fit a vpc? The thing was designed about a million years ago to replace the air flow meter with a speed density system (IAT + MAP). If I understand correctly the OP is already converting to speed density using the gen3 ecu IAT and MAP sensor........that would make at least one of the two completely obsolete or not? :-k
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

yes your right but it was not the op who asked about the vpc.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nuttasie wrote:

All that was needed was a rom chip .. £35 delivered fron the states .... no mapping needed , unless you plugin a hks gcc.

mr2magic wrote:Why on earth fit a vpc? The thing was designed about a million years ago to replace the air flow meter with a speed density system (IAT + MAP). If I understand correctly the OP is already converting to speed density using the gen3 ecu IAT and MAP sensor........that would make at least one of the two completely obsolete or not? :-k

True .. fitting both would be silly .. vpc is just a simple, cheap way of going speed density.

Kev.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

Sorry ,should of stated map sensor along with ait sensor and mounting kits etc adds up to quite abit, plus shipping from states and possible sting with duty etc. #-o
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I'm interested!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah if you only buy a hks vpc head unit it is very expencive to put the kit together .. you need iat and map sensor .. very expensive to buy separately .. but if you can get hold of a vpc "kit" for less than £200 second hand .. i think its worh doing .. just a couple of wires and a resistor to fit and the 440cc mr2 rom chip ... plugin a gcc if you want to tweek fueling and your good you go ... worked for me :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Ok list of parts I have are:-

ECU
Engine loom
540cc injectors
4 wire oxygen sensor
IAT sensor
MAT sensor
MAP sensor
Water temperature sensor
Knock sensor
Coil and ignitor.

the plan was to change the loom and swap out everything on the above parts list. then in a months or so time, swap the ecu out for my PFC when i have the cash to get it mapped.

also will running on gen2 cams be ok with gen3 ecu?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Grazzy wrote:Ok list of parts I have are:-

ECU
Engine loom
540cc injectors
4 wire oxygen sensor
IAT sensor
MAT sensor
MAP sensor
Water temperature sensor
Knock sensor
Coil and ignitor.

the plan was to change the loom and swap out everything on the above parts list. then in a months or so time, swap the ecu out for my PFC when i have the cash to get it mapped.

also will running on gen2 cams be ok with gen3 ecu?

That looks good to me .. just need pinouts for the swap if you want to save on egine loom.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I think the loom needs changing, Its seen better days. previous owners over the years have added and removed mods.

Its gotten to the point where every item in the engine bay has been replaced apart from the fuse box & loom. may as well finish the job off.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

water temp sensor and knock sensor?

not heard of those being needed.
i didnt need the coil either. just the ignitor.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

jimGTS wrote:water temp sensor and knock sensor?

not heard of those being needed.
i didnt need the coil either. just the ignitor.

Anything i don't use, ill just put to one side. im sure they will break at some point.

Return to “Modifications”