blue rev 3 turbo for sale edinburgh

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: blue rev 3 turbo for sale edinburgh

Post by SonicSW20 »

I thought that car looked familiar. I'm eyeing up replacements as someone rear ended mine so will most likely be a write off. I think it used to have stickers all over the boot when it was on Pistonheads a month or so ago.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Someone just popped up on MR2OC having put a refundable deposit down on this car... and also reported it was overheating (which the garage said is just the thermostat, but I somewhat doubt that). Thanks to this thread and the experience of another OC member who looked at that car a couple of years ago, I think he's going to be backing out of the sale now :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Seen this for sale on ebay yesterday, the ad says "genuine 85000 miles" blatant lies!
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

shinny wrote:Someone just popped up on MR2OC having put a refundable deposit down on this car... and also reported it was overheating (which the garage said is just the thermostat, but I somewhat doubt that). Thanks to this thread and the experience of another OC member who looked at that car a couple of years ago, I think he's going to be backing out of the sale now :thumleft:

Brilliant result :thumleft: bet he's glad he's not ending up with what is potentially a lemon
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
daviefoster9773

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Its me. lol. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah, he gave me a test run in it. There was a crunch in 2nd gear which he said he was going to have the syncro replaced which I thought was alright. I paid 200 deposit on it. I then left the garage and noticed steam coming from the boot. He told me that it needed a thermostat which was also going to be done by the garage and he assured me it would be running perfect by the weekend. I couldn't hang around as had to get back up the road and he had assured me the depsoit was refundable. I regretted it straight after leaving. My own fault really. :clap: Decided to check car out and the garage once we had left. Its a nice looking motor and scrubs up well in the pics. But I am glad I asked now. He has said he will refund the deposit to me so hopefully this is the case. Serves me right for rushing in. They have been done with selling cars without a license, so i doubt they will want the hassle over 200 if i have to appear there on Saturday.

So yeah, I am on the lookout for a turbo if any decent ones are for sale. lol. Noticed 2 forged ones on ebay if anyone knows them? Black and red
Last edited by daviefoster9773 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daviefoster9773

oh, clocks actually read 59k :/
Draven

Post by Draven »

Glad you walking away could have spent lots more money if you'd ended up buying it and it being a propper lemon.
daviefoster9773

I dont think the garage know what they have got themselves to be honest. He offered me extended warranty etc with it.
Draven

Post by Draven »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I dont think the garage know what they have got themselves to be honest. He offered me extended warranty etc with it.

Anything to get rid of it i'd guess.
daviefoster9773

I am just thanful i checked it out as sounds like it is going to be real hassle for someone. Why he would ever let me run it when its overheating i dont know.
Draven

Post by Draven »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I am just thanful i checked it out as sounds like it is going to be real hassle for someone. Why he would ever let me run it when its overheating i dont know.

Maybe he thought he could convince you that they'd fix all of that. Doesn't make sense. I would have thought they'd get all those problems fixed before they start letting people test drive it.
daviefoster9773

Draven wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:I am just thanful i checked it out as sounds like it is going to be real hassle for someone. Why he would ever let me run it when its overheating i dont know.

Maybe he thought he could convince you that they'd fix all of that. Doesn't make sense. I would have thought they'd get all those problems fixed before they start letting people test drive it.

My thoughts exactly. Where would steam be coming from at the rear?
Draven

Post by Draven »

daviefoster9773 wrote:
Draven wrote:

Well there is plenty of places..

Coolant filler cap.
Overflow bottle
any number of perhished coolant hoses.
oil cooler
Hoses from hell..
etc..
daviefoster9773

Draven wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:
Draven wrote:

Coolant filler cap.
Overflow bottle
oil cooler
Hoses from hell..
etc..

It was from the rear passenger side. Ah well, at least I have dodged that bullet lol. No word on my depsoit back yet though.
Draven

Post by Draven »

daviefoster9773 wrote:
Draven wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:

Coolant filler cap.
Overflow bottle
oil cooler
Hoses from hell..
etc..

It was from the rear passenger side. Ah well, at least I have dodged that bullet lol. No word on my depsoit back yet though.

Yup could have been coolant filler or overflow with a small leak. But yes overall the fact that the mileage seems very dodgy you're better off not buying it you never know what other issues might surface.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah well avoided mate, just be patient, try to get one from the for sale section on here, the majority of owners on here are long standing members who look after their cars.
daviefoster9773

Yeah cheers for the advice lads.

So, he is now dodging my calls.

What a reputable dealer he seems. Looks like a visit at the weekend will be necessary after all and a call to trading standards. I have made them aware of the fact it has a higher mileage than stated and should they continue to sell the car as advertised with that mileage then they are willfully selling a dodgy car. That coupled with previously selling second hand cars without a license won't fair to well.

Hopefully he just refunds the money and ill be on my way.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Davie, are you from Dundee?? I know a Davie Foster from here.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

daviefoster9773 wrote:Yeah cheers for the advice lads.

What a reputable dealer he seems. Looks like a visit at the weekend will be necessary after all and a call to trading standards. I have made them aware of the fact it has a higher mileage than stated and should they continue to sell the car as advertised with that mileage then they are willfully selling a dodgy car. That coupled with previously selling second hand cars without a license won't fair to well.

I definitely wouldn't buy it.

Also, this exact car was for sale privately on Pistonheads a couple months ago for under 2k. Seller clearly wanted rid!
daviefoster9773

Gazza_DJ wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:Yeah cheers for the advice lads.

I definitely wouldn't buy it.

Also, this exact car was for sale privately on Pistonheads a couple months ago for under 2k. Seller clearly wanted rid!

Just spoke with a guy Ali about deposit. Seemed a nice lad. He is adamant the mielage is correct and that any issues with the car will be fixed and an extended warranty given etc. I just want my money back and on my way. He wants me to take a test run when its been through their garage and then decide and he assures me he will return the money.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”