How much more is a T-bar worth?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

How much more is a T-bar worth?

Post by Danbob »

Can anybody who keeps an eye on how much mr2s sell for answer, with the same spec, how much more or less will a T-bar turbo sell for compared to a tin top?

I've got a t-bar, and I'm going to delete it. But I also don't want to ruin the resale value of my car (although I have no plans to ever sell it)

Cheers
Dan
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: How much more is a T-bar worth?

Post by Ryan S »

i wouldn't say the t-bar was worth any more at all, some guys prefer the tin top. of all the ones i've seen lately the prices have varied due to age,condition and miles, tin top or t-bar hasn't really been anything to do with it.
Torero

Post by Torero »

I have to agree with Sheppy, the guys who race prefer the tin-top as it's lighter and more rigid.

The TBar has an appeal throughout the sunnier days when the car is more like a targa/convertible but lack of good weather and leaking seals also put people off.

I really don't think there is that much in it.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Well this is what I wanted to hear, but are you sure that's the case?

I know for track use the tin top is preferred (That's why I hate my T-Bar roof and plan to get rid of it)
- But aren't most potential MR2 buyers looking for a fun sports car to play with in the summer?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Danbob wrote:Well this is what I wanted to hear, but are you sure that's the case?

I know for track use the tin top is preferred (That's why I hate my T-Bar roof and plan to get rid of it)
- But aren't most potential MR2 buyers looking for a fun sports car to play with in the summer?

yeah i'm fairly sure, i've never seen t-bars go for any more than a tin top or vice versa. i'll try and get some examples :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

can't really find any fair comparisons but i have seen a few clean tin tops that would deffo be no more value if they were a t-bar. it's just not something that's taken into consideration as there's probably around the same amount of each. plus, the guys who buy tin tops do so because they want one, not because they can't find a t-bar :thumleft: :thumleft:

i wouldn't give it much thought mate :)
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

OK, well I'm happy if T-Bars don't add significant value, I've already started on removing mine, but kept thinking I might kick myself later on if I could have sold it for more as a T-Bar (You know 10 years in the future when MR2's are all super valuable classics)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Danbob wrote:OK, well I'm happy if T-Bars don't add significant value, I've already started on removing mine, but kept thinking I might kick myself later on if I could have sold it for more as a T-Bar (You know 10 years in the future when MR2's are all super valuable classics)

haha, na i think you'll be fine mate, just keep the parts you're cutting off, change it to a t-bar again if needed :lol:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers! That's that settled then!
Donato

Post by Donato »

Don't forget to update us with progress :lol:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

I'll post it up on my build thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

But it'll likely be put on hold for a while now as I've got a bottom end rebuild to do and a long list of other stuff to get it back on the road.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

sheppy wrote:
Danbob wrote:OK, well I'm happy if T-Bars don't add significant value, I've already started on removing mine, but kept thinking I might kick myself later on if I could have sold it for more as a T-Bar (You know 10 years in the future when MR2's are all super valuable classics)

haha, na i think you'll be fine mate, just keep the parts you're cutting off, change it to a t-bar again if needed :lol:

In 10 years a standard tin top will be worth so much. I think the tbar will be worth more as a classic car.

A converted tbar into tintop isn't gonna be worth as much as either as the above. I'd buy a tintop and I'd buy a tbar. I wouldn't buy a car which had been converted though.

As a road car I think the tbar is far far more desirable and thus will have a higher resale value. People let the seals fail on the roof which gives them a bad name. Replace the seals, enjoy the car.

No one is gonna pay big money for a car that's been chopped up.

I don't see the point in deleting the tbar.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

dazzz wrote:

No one is gonna pay big money for a car that's been chopped up.

Looking through his build thread (nice thread by the way) hes fitting a fiberglass t-top delete.. http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... c417bd.jpg .. looks cool (great if your doing track days) , curious to see what its like fitted.

Danbob can you still go topless in the summer or will it be permanently fixed in place :-k

Ps. I had and loved my t-top, but I did think about deleting it only for track days .
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Just had a read.

If it's just a cover you're placing over the top, it's just a cover.

Or are you gonna cut the bar which supports the glass panels.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

dazzz wrote:Just had a read.

If it's just a cover you're placing over the top, it's just a cover.

Or are you gonna cut the bar which supports the glass panels.

I took it that it was a all in one cover that deletes the glass , if it deletes the actual t-bar support bar that could be a big problem (scuttle shake [-( )
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Hi All,

The T-Bar delete plan is purely functional (It's a sprint car and rules dictate no glass panels above drivers head)

secondary aim is to reduce roof weight and increase stiffness.

So I'll be welding in 2x T45 tubes in place of the T-Bar mechanisms, the aluminium brackets which the original glass panels are bonded to (and which the weather seal conveniently attaches to) will be trimmed to fit and bolt onto the tubes, and the fiberglass panel is bonded to the aluminium brackets, as the T-bar glass usually is.
Potentially there will then be some aesthetically pleasing small bolts holding the fiberglass panel on as well, as bonding it on may not be deemed as “Securely Fixed”

The center support will be left in place.

Hopefully the result will be a car which is still a little heavier up top than a tin top, but should actually be safer in the event of a rollover (2x side supports + the center support) and should be equally as stiff.

I know the age old line is that I “Should have just started with a tin top” - but I basically got this car for free, and it’s a really good shell and reshelling it would be a good amount of work that I don’t have time for.

Plus I don’t like doing what people tell me to do
:lol:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

If you weld in tubes the car won't be worth a lot. Anyone looking to spend good money on a car are either gonna want a tbar or a tintop. They're not gonna want a rev2 with tubes welded in. They probably aren't gonna want to buy a car that's been tracked regular. It's not gonna have a big resale value. This car will be worth more in parts.

What sort of sprinting? Surely a roll cage would be better if your looking to increase stiffness for going round corners.

It's your car mate. You asked if deleting the tbar would have an effect on resale value. I wouldn't even think about buying a car which had this done unless it was extremely cheap.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

MSA sprinting, some private events and Toyota Sprint Series, Roll cage is not required, adds weight and costs a lot of money.

My T-bar plan costs me £150 (for the panel) + T45 (I already have for free)

The car will be regularly tracked regardless as this is its purpose.

I'll also be keeping the glass panels and trim just in case, should I want to, the center Tbar strip can be bolted back on and the Glass panels could be bolted up in place of the fibreglass panel - Car would then look stock, but obviously panels couldn't be removed easily

If I really wanted to go to the effort, I could always remove the two bars grind them back and put the T-Bar mounting brackets back in, that's all that would need to be changed and it's all covered by trim anyway - If a genuine T-Bar MR2 does become a valuable classic and is worth £10k+ by then, I'd consider doing that.

At the end of the day, this is my track car and I got it for nothing, really I should just go for it, make it the best it can be at going fast for cheap and enjoy it as long as it lasts, I need to stop worrying about the future all the time! :lol: I could crash it the next time I'm out and re-sale would be ruined anyway!
laze

Post by laze »

I always thought the tin top was considerably rarer?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Danbob wrote:

I've got a t-bar, and I'm going to delete it. But I also don't want to ruin the resale value of my car (although I have no plans to ever sell it)

Cheers
Dan

It won't have a resale value as a classic example.

If you're gonna build a track car, go for it, build it properly and it'll be worth something as a track car if it's a good one.

If you scrimp on the parts for a track car, guess what, it'll be a xxxx track car and not worth anything. A 2nd hand roll age is worth x amount. It'll still be worth x amount in 5 years time, maybe more.

Forget about resale, just enjoy the car. Rag it hard, win the races.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”