[Mk2] [NA] Wiring front fog lights to side lights

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattp

[Mk2] [NA] Wiring front fog lights to side lights

Post by mattp »

Hi all - can this be done or has it been done. Yes I have done a search and only found wiring to headlights.

I would like to have the front fogs on without having headlights pop up so was thinking about wiring to side lights and then being able to use like a daytime running light.

Would it just be a straightforward splice into the side light loom just above the fogs? Different fuse needed or enough juice to power off the sides?

Im no electrician so please be kind. :pray:
slipping clutch

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Wiring front fog lights to side lights

Post by slipping clutch »

You may want to read this before you do the mod. It may save you a few pennies on a ticket.
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178107
mattp

Post by mattp »

Oh what a surprise, yet again our nanny state has a stupid law which makes a car more visible during the day illegal. I wonder how all the other European countries manage as some have a requirement to have headlights on all the time!!! ](*,)

I don't know why I should be surprised really, just look at some of our health and legislations, what happened to common sense. [-(

Ok rant over....

Thanks for the reply though.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

mattp wrote:what happened to common sense. [-(

Yeah, what happened to common sense?
Foglights on when it's not foggy ](*,)
mattp

Post by mattp »

JohnnyC wrote:
mattp wrote:what happened to common sense. [-(

Yeah, what happened to common sense?
Foglights on when it's not foggy ](*,)

Funny :clap:
I want them as daylight running lights ie be more visible using dimmer bulbs as in DRL. Makes sense to me anyway
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Turn your headlights on, problem solved.

And anyway, you can switch the front foglights on when only the sidelights are on. It's the rear foglight(s) that require the headlights be on.
True at least for UK spec mk2's.
mattp

Post by mattp »

Ok Johnny didnt know that. Mines an import but cant check as my fogs arent working at the mo?? :evil:
Problem I find is our side lights are next to useless, might try a brighter bulb. I think im too use to driving on the continent and like the idea of headlights on during the day.... mid you standard of driving is considerably worse so extra warning is all good.
mr2matt

What?

Post by mr2matt »

Besides the risk of a ticket for basically nothing, you don't need to have your headlights on for your fogs as well, just your sidelights on, then you can turn your fogs on (if you really want to)

And anyway, you can switch the front foglights on when only the sidelights are on. It's the rear foglight(s) that require the headlights be on.
True at least for UK spec mk2's.

And you can still turn your rear fogs on without main beams, you just need to turn the front one's on first before the rears will work, then you can turn the fronts off and the rears will stay on, but having the headlights on means you can switch the rear fogs on without having to do the fronts first.

Or at least that's how my UK Rev 5 works.

But what do you think to this, wiring the front fogs into your full beams? I mean you only ever use them when the road in front is clear or to flash someone for a split second, so why not fogs and full beams? I usually use both together if I'm driving on a quiet road at night and find that the fogs really illuminate the road right in front and to the side more than my full beams can, purely because of placement and beam pattern :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”