Saggy gear selector

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fred130111

Saggy gear selector

Post by fred130111 »

Hi guys, I ordered a "gear shift bearing kit" online in hope that it would solve my saggy shifter and by all means it has certainly improved the feeling of gear change but I still have a lot of play when moving the gear stick left or right, even when in gear you can still wiggle it a few centimetres either way, my question is what do I need to do to solve this, is there something that's come lose on my gearbox? Btw my car has done 170k so I can appreciate there are a lot of worn parts :)

Cheers Fred
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Saggy gear selector

Post by Peter Gidden »

Take a look at the shift levers on your gearbox.

One will have a small brass cube located in a channel. Undo lever, rotate brass cube 90 degrees and refit. See how it is then.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Ahh ok cheers would that be the thing the linkages attach to?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

fred130111 wrote:Ahh ok cheers would that be the thing the linkages attach to?

Yes.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Just out of interest how does it in bolt, undid a nut but no movement, looks like some sort of Allen screw on the front of the leaver, would it be that ?
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

No worries done it :) feels 1000 times better cheers for your help
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Sorry to sound so noobie but what brass cube are we talking about? Where can I find this? On the gearbox side or on the gear stick side? Really want to do this on my 2 as I have some slight play too.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Johnr32 wrote:Sorry to sound so noobie but what brass cube are we talking about? Where can I find this? On the gearbox side or on the gear stick side? Really want to do this on my 2 as I have some slight play too.

Gearbox end, between the lever and the box
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

mrturbotom wrote:
Johnr32 wrote:Sorry to sound so noobie but what brass cube are we talking about? Where can I find this? On the gearbox side or on the gear stick side? Really want to do this on my 2 as I have some slight play too.

Gearbox end, between the lever and the box

thanks tom. Will give it a go when the rain gives me a chance.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

It is very strange how this can be such an improvement, before this it would crunch in 2nd and sometimes 3rd, now it slots in without any issues at all! and I have to say it feels much better than most of the newer cars I have driven :)
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Before i remove the trims am I right to assume its under the interior tunnel trim?
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

No, as per mrturbotom's post above it's at the gearbox end and sits under one of the levers that the cable is connected to.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Mine was a pain to do but only because i had no idea what i was trying to find

There are two levers attached to the gearbox, the overlap each other ( if you pull one the other moves slightly )

The Nut that i undid was located on the one further left which was hidden by some sort of rubber cover, undo that then it should slide down but do it slowly because my "cube" launched itself across my garage

Oh and the cube literally rests on top of the leaver with some sort of pin to hold it in

( sorry i didn't take any images )
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

fred130111 wrote:Mine was a pain to do but only because i had no idea what i was trying to find

There are two levers attached to the gearbox, the overlap each other ( if you pull one the other moves slightly )

The Nut that i undid was located on the one further left which was hidden by some sort of rubber cover, undo that then it should slide down but do it slowly because my "cube" launched itself across my garage

Oh and the cube literally rests on top of the leaver with some sort of pin to hold it in

( sorry i didn't take any images )

cheers for the info fred. Will follow your mini guide which should help. Cheers bud

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”