Thinking of moving to an sw20

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Re: Thinking of moving to an sw20

Post by HighwayStar »

Already covered this fella but welcome to the party...

For my dollar the 2 is simply trickier but also more rewarding to get right. Yes it will bite when you get it wrong but then.... don't get it wrong.

Lets be honest if you simply want a great chassis with fabulous response buy a mk3 and do whatever engine transfer you fancy.....
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

I have an na track rev 3 and a road rev 2 turbo. I love the ct26 instant get up and go as a road car BUT show it a wet road and it's practically dangerous even if you're experienced with catching mid engined slides.

We've managed to get over 100kg out of the rev3 na(probably about 120) and the way it goes around our local track has most people asking if it's a turbo.

Have to say I enjoy the na more as a drivers car. Coilovers and Tarmac rally tyres transform it. The rev3 na engine is a real gem in my opinion.

Kind of left wondering that if Toyota had of managed to release the na at 100kg less it could have been a real cult favourite.
madfish

Post by madfish »

Was looking at the BEAMS version of the NA... I imagine that would be a decent compromise. ..

The s2000 has a nasty habit of killing people and I tamed that lol :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

A lightened NA with sorted handling for the sheer thrill of corners, or a modified turbo for the rush of acceleration. Can't comment on a v6 as I've not driven one, but I can't help but think the extra weight at the back will compromise the NA's ability round the twisty stuff.
Last edited by ashley on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

madfish wrote:Was looking at the BEAMS version of the NA... I imagine that would be a decent compromise. ..

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I love mine, kept up with two turbos more than adequately, and it's so clear that it's much, much easier to drive in the wet especially.

Boost is great and feels exhilarating but it grows old and then you need to make the car faster, so you get more and more boost... And then one day you boost mid corner and your lovely car is wrecked!

Mid engine cars are so much easier driven as NAs than harsh turbos IMO. I would definitely have a turbo MR2, and I would definitely have another Beams NA MR2, but they each have their own strong points I think.
madfish

Post by madfish »

I take it the BEAMS are rare like rocking horse poo? :)

I remember the celica st200 (ssiii) models had the beams option and are quite sought after...
madfish

Post by madfish »

synXero wrote:
madfish wrote:Was looking at the BEAMS version of the NA... I imagine that would be a decent compromise. ..

I love mine, kept up with two turbos more than adequately, and it's so clear that it's much, much easier to drive in the wet especially.

Boost is great and feels exhilarating but it grows old and then you need to make the car faster, so you get more and more boost... And then one day you boost mid corner and your lovely car is wrecked!

Mid engine cars are so much easier driven as NAs than harsh turbos IMO. I would definitely have a turbo MR2, and I would definitely have another Beams NA MR2, but they each have their own strong points I think.

Don't suppose you fancy swapping for a twin tubby legacy? :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm always surprised that people think turbos just boost you off the road mid-corner, it simply doesn't happen unless you have no idea on how you drive a car.....

Converted mine from na to turbo in 2007 and never looked back. The na was a lovely engine but wasn't a strong enough performer for the body in my opinion.
synXero

Post by synXero »

madfish wrote:
synXero wrote:

Don't suppose you fancy swapping for a twin tubby legacy? :D

I'm afraid subarus are a no-go on insurance for me, and I'm done with 4 cylinder engines for the next few years at least!!
Soupdragon

Post by Soupdragon »

I find my rev 3 na better handling and a lot quicker than my old mk1 eunos (mx5)
my eunos was the 1.6 15 bhp version and was in truly excellent condition (imported from japan 5 years ago and kept stored but not registered)but was just too boring.
I find the turn -in on the mr2 much better it goes round islands like a dream not as good as the elise but better balanced than the mx5.
Also the mx5 has really poor mpg ,i got mid 20`s best out of mine as you have to rev the nuts of it to make any progress.
just my 2ps worth though
Heres a pic of the 5 wonder whos got her now?
madfish

Post by madfish »

I'm already sold :D

Nice roadster though :thumbsup:

TBH rust has really put me off the mx5 and the image... mr2 is the way to go :)
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Be sure to check the sills on the MR2 as well mate they're prone to rusting there as well and not a cheap fix by any means :-)
synXero

Post by synXero »

A lot of mr2s are showing their steely natures now and rusting at roof joints and sills. Check carefully! Feel free to come and view mine :whistle: :lol:
madfish

Post by madfish »

synXero wrote:A lot of mr2s are showing their steely natures now and rusting at roof joints and sills. Check carefully! Feel free to come and view mine :whistle: :lol:

Once the leggy is sold yours is one of the ones on my shortlist ;)
Torero

Post by Torero »

ashley wrote:Can't comment on a v6 as I've not driven one, but I can't help but think the extra weight at the back will compromise the NA's ability round the twisty stuff.
Negligably heavier than a turbo Ashley and whilst it doesn't have the kick of boost it's the smoothest and steepest torque delivery I've experienced on any road car.

Lots of fun and instant power. Both tubby and V6 have their good points, I'm not trying to split the camp here just trying to give Madfish the bigger picture.

With £3.5k you should be able to get a V6 but if you want to try one first then pop along to Durham and see Paul in Woodsport, I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a trial in one and more advice than you can take in.
Last edited by Torero on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Actually, I have to agree that the MK1 MX5 is more fun to drive than an MR2. It does however lack that masculine grunt that even the N/A has. What the MX5 lacks in straight line acceleration though is made up by pure windy road, roundabout pleasure.

I'm selling my MK1 ironically and its the one to have, black 1.8 Roaster on an N-Plate.

Anyone? lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:

they must have not being driving them properly then :lol: :lol:

i've still to hear a turbo owner say that boost grows old, it's certainly never grown old for me and i've had a N/A import a UK N/a and 2 turbos,i'd never have another non turbo, the long and the short of it is that a 300bhp car is going to faster than a 200bhp all day long, all this "turbo lag" and the N/a being more of a drivers car is utter b0ll0cks, if you're in the right gear (which you would be) the turbo is all over the n/a, weather it be a beams or otherwise.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah but you're talking performance again and the original post says that isn't the requirement... otherwise the OP could just keep what he has. So far as enjoying them in the twists the tubby is no more fun and it can be argued (and is) is less so... It isn't a speed thing, it's a grin thing.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Turbo > V6 > BEAMS > NA :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

HighwayStar wrote:Yeah but you're talking performance again and the original post says that isn't the requirement... otherwise the OP could just keep what he has. So far as enjoying them in the twists the tubby is no more fun and it can be argued (and is) is less so... It isn't a speed thing, it's a grin thing.

na, i only ever hear this argument from non turbo owners. i've had both and deffo prefer the turbo, there's nothing the turbo can't do in the corners that the NA can, plus, the NA doesn't have an LSD, so why on earth would it be better? the ability to keep the revs high is still there on a tubby, it's no different handling wise (other than the benefits of the LSD) than the NA and has much more power. as said, i've yet to hear any of the turbo owners complain that they're not as much fun as the NA.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”