Thinking of moving to an sw20

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

madfish

Thinking of moving to an sw20

Post by madfish »

Hi all,

Im currently the proud owner of a Legacy GTB but it is now parked up as a second car and a 1.0 clio gets the daily chores...

Got me thinking though that the leggy doesn't make much sense as a second, weekend only car so was thinking of changing to something smaller, more driver focused and cheaper on fuel.

Originally was looking at a mk1 MX5 but rust seems to have claimed most of these now and well, they are a bit girly :)

So, an MR2 seems to make sense :)

Coming from the 320bhp leggy I naturally assumed it'd be the turbo mr2 id want but my primary goal is driving fun over performance so may still consider an NA version.

Got a lot to read up on on here and plenty of research but thought id say hi :)

Already got my eye on a beatiful red turbo in the for sale section lol

Thanks,
Mark
Ryan6926

Re: Thinking of moving to an sw20

Post by Ryan6926 »

Hi mate welcome along, I'll probably get flamed for this but personally I'd say that the mx5 is more fun to drive than the MR2, it may not be as quick but you do definitely feel closer to what's going on, they're not as manly granted and they do tend to rust as most cars that age do anyways (check the MR2 along the sills as that's the main weak spot,

I've driven a MK2 MX5 and a SW20 MR2 and looking back given the choice I'd probably choose the Mazda for out and out fun / chuckability but the Mr2 for styling

With that being said my MR2 wasn't a great example so that was more than likely a factor :-(

Ryan
madfish

Post by madfish »

Appreciate the honest reply :)

Need to get some time behind the wheel of one I think but I do love the styling of the mk2 :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you will be sorely dissapointed by the NA mate, get the turbo :thumleft:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

sheppy wrote:you will be sorely dissapointed by the NA mate, get the turbo :thumleft:

Or v6 8) :twisted:
madfish

Post by madfish »

Chances are it'd be a tubby powered one :)

I had a gt4 in the past and know they are good motors with plenty of potential :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I have to disagree with the tubby comments.
It's true an n/a isn't all that quick... about the same as the majority of current hot hatches but as you say you want to reduce fuel costs I doubt you will with a tubby so that's one target already missed. Also you say you want to change for something more driver focused. Well there is no difference chassis or suspension wise between the n/a and tubby. Get one and set it up well and you can have as much fun in the twisties as you want and thoroughly enjoy the experience whilst doing so. In fact I could argue that with no lag to concern yourself with the n/a is more fun in the curly bits.
I agree it's not as chuckable as an MX5 but then nothing mid engined will be. Nail down the front with the weight of an engine and you can do what you like with the rear with big safety margins built in to give you time to collect it all up. What you do get though with a mid engined car and a well sorted 2 is that responsiveness and delicacy, fabulous steering feel and steer by throttle fun... and the thrill of knowing if you get it wrong it might well bite you back.
I've had my rev 1 (the best rev for set up IMO) for over 14yrs and seldom felt the need for more straight line speed on our congested and speed camera strewn roads since I love approaching corners so much in it...
If you're unsure get yourself along to a few local meets and get out in some well sorted cars (badly set up 2s can be nightmarish to drive so be careful), I reckon there'll be plenty of folks here who'll take you for a squirt in their toys...

Good luck, they're great, great cars.

R.
Last edited by HighwayStar on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

madfish wrote:Chances are it'd be a tubby powered one :)

I had a gt4 in the past and know they are good motors with plenty of potential :)

honestly mate, the only reason i would entertain a non turbo is if i was 20 years old and couldn't get insurance on a tubby, coming from a 2.0 turbo to a non turbo will be a massive let down for you, a rev3 onward will see 300bhp without too much trouble at all. i've never driven a V6 so can't comment really, but as far as i've read they're still not as quick as the turbo. they do sound good though!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

where are you?? i'd happily take you for a blast :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Likewise... I'm just north of the M25....
madfish

Post by madfish »

Thanks for the offers guys but im in the North east, Teesside (will update profile info)

I used to have an S2000 before the leggy (the original AP1) and that was as tailhappy as you like :) the midship set up certainly does appeal...

I mostly drive a 1.0 clio but when the leggy does come oht the twin turbo's always put a grin on my face... I think id be fine in an NA if fuel cost were significantly better but if there's little difference then the tubby would win :)
Rory

Post by Rory »

Are fuel costs significantly different? Who cares if its a second car anyway? I'm not sure what the difference would be between a turbo driven nicely off boost compared to driving an NA harder to get some more performance out of it. I've got to agree with what's already been said. I was hugely dissapointed when I purchased an NA MR2. They just don't feel quick. I had the nice knowledge though that the NA MR2 I bought was being bought as a project to turbo. I guess though if someone wants to buy an MR2 for the looks/styling etc then the NA would be fast enought... Its not exactly slow in the grand scheme of things but lacks torque and you'll wish you had bought a turbo if you're used to old school turbo power.

Ive also driving mk1 MX5 and agree they are fun but I would rather have an NA MR2 :D
madfish

Post by madfish »

To be fair im getting low 20's mpg out of the leggy so any improvement on that is a bonus :)

Need rwd again... the 4wd system on the leggy is just to safe and coupled with the size and comfort it just doesnt scream 'drive me' :)

Gotta sell her first though before hunting for the replacement :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

tubby is fine on fuel, i set my boost controller to low for long(ish) trips, makes a massive difference, i can do about 180 miles of £30 with normal motorway driving, however, it can drink that same £30 in 50 miles maybe less if driven hard enough.
ryan

Post by ryan »

HighwayStar wrote:I have to disagree with the tubby comments.
It's true an n/a isn't all that quick... about the same as the majority of current hot hatches but as you say you want to reduce fuel costs I doubt you will with a tubby so that's one target already missed. Also you say you want to change for something more driver focused. Well there is no difference chassis or suspension wise between the n/a and tubby. Get one and set it up well and you can have as much fun in the twisties as you want and thoroughly enjoy the experience whilst doing so. In fact I could argue that with no lag to concern yourself with the n/a is more fun in the curly bits.
I agree it's not as chuckable as an MX5 but then nothing mid engined will be. Nail down the front with the weight of an engine and you can do what you like with the rear with big safety margins built in to give you time to collect it all up. What you do get though with a mid engined car and a well sorted 2 is that responsiveness and delicacy, fabulous steering feel and steer by throttle fun... and the thrill of knowing if you get it wrong it might well bite you back.
I've had my rev 1 (the best rev for set up IMO) for over 14yrs and seldom felt the need for more straight line speed on our congested and speed camera strewn roads since I love approaching corners so much in it...
If you're unsure get yourself along to a few local meets and get out in some well sorted cars (badly set up 2s can be nightmarish to drive so be careful), I reckon there'll be plenty of folks here who'll take you for a squirt in their toys...

Good luck, they're great, great cars.

R.

The shocks are different rev2 onward turbos had Bilsteins of course.
In response to the OP, go turbo as the n/a is outclassed in performance among modern offerings
madfish

Post by madfish »

Are they not too fast though?

Stay with me :)

As someone mentioned earlier for driving pleasure the NA is possibly the better bet as you have a fairly flat power curve and the useable power is within legal speed limits etc...

Take take the mx5 for example, pretty slow, especially amongst modern metal, but still a blast to drive.

The leggy, stupidly quick but you are well over legal limits very quickly so when you are having fun you are risking your licence

Perhaps im getting old lol

Regardless of the above ill still go for the turbo option :) I just dont think ill be chasing big bhp figures :) handling and styling will be key.

Oddball question... did they ever come with cruise control?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I believe some did come with CC but I think it was an option and fairly rare... someone will be along to confirm that though I'm sure.
Ryan accurately says the later tubbys had black billies but that's pretty immaterial. What I meant was that there is no significant suspension difference between n/a and tubby now. Considering original struts if still in place will be 14 yrs old minimum the amount of damping available can only be evaluated by driving individual cars. Unless you're looking at a car you know has had a suspension overhaul of course.
What I meant was they are the same set up ie. spring & macpherson strut etc with the same mounting points and geometry (although these do differ between the earlier and later revs) as far as I know. Later cars also sit a few mm lower along with those other alterations and have slightly stiffer ARBs (a mm or so). From rev2 on they also had bigger and better brakes but of course many cars have had both brakes and suspension refreshed by now...
madfish

Post by madfish »

Thanks for that...

I tkink ill be looking at a rev 3 onwards... ill have a budget of around £3500.

Coilovers will be one of the first mods as well as sorting bushes etc... get her handling right first then start the visual tweaks :)

Haha, ive not even bought one yet and started thinking of mods...
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I think you'd be surprised how nippy the MK2 1.8 MX-5 actually is, A friend has a JDM RS spec and it's quite nippy, Not so much flat out fast but certainly lively enough and you can tell it's very light, it's a typical drivers car, the tail is more than willing to step out if you want it to and once it's out it's easy to keep it there. It's actually driving Paul's MX5 that made me want a RWD car

I'm not saying I'd choose one over an MR2 turbo but if given the choice between the MX5 or a NA MR2 I'd take the MX.

I get the impression and this is only my perspective but I'd imagine you'd need to drive the MR2 with more respect knowing that it could and probably will kill you if you poke it too hard with the right foot which is why for me I'd probably never have one.

I've I'm sure the MR2 would be a great purchase and I expect it'd give you a great fun driving it too :)

Good luck in finding one :D
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

HighwayStar wrote:?.. Well there is no difference chassis or suspension wise between the n/a and tubby.

Thought tubbys were black bilsteins?

If your looking for lower maintenance fun would say n/a, if you like the cars so much you can transfer any susp/cosmetic mods to a turbo at a later date

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”