[Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Post by Ryan S »

as in title, i'm after a soft comfortable setup that doesn't make me think my kidneys are in danger every time i take the car out. my very first mr2 had the setup i'm looking for but it caught fire and died. the car is currently on black bilstiens with apexi springs, and it's good on smooth roads but like most mr2s, it feels harsh over rubbish roads :(
glen n

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Post by glen n »

I'm running yellow billies and eibach springs and it feels quite good,swapping to tein springs tomorrow though which will be stiffer. My car felt fine when I was on the highland drive earlier this year,wasn't too harsh at all.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Post by Ryan S »

glen n wrote:I'm running yellow billies and eibach springs and it feels quite good,swapping to tein springs tomorrow though which will be stiffer. My car felt fine when I was on the highland drive earlier this year,wasn't too harsh at all.

hmmmm, mine is quite harsh, feels like my old rev2 when it was on 18" wheels, it's on 16" now with a sensible profile :( i'd gladly sacrifice the handling to make it more comfortable.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Was your rev 2 an n/a?

If so they don't run billies.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

LukeSi wrote:Was your rev 2 an n/a?

If so they don't run billies.

it was mate, an import :-k
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

That will be why then. If you fitted N/A suspension to your Turbo it would, in theory have the same ride as your old rev 2.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

LukeSi wrote:That will be why then. If you fitted N/A suspension to your Turbo it would, in theory have the same ride as your old rev 2.

yeah, i might have a nosey around and see what's available, i've heard coilovers would make the ride quite harsh too, i had coilover on my 200sx and thought the ride was amazing!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Konis with trd springs was definitely the most comfortable setup outside of std na ive used and I live in a part of london that has a tonne of speedbumps. If you cant get trd springs then eibach or standard

All the non turbos had oem kyb dampers apart from the anniversary models.

You can get the std na dampers from tcbparts pretty cheap, but I wouldnt use them with lowering springs I dunno how long theyd last.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Race Idiot wrote:Konis with trd springs was definitely the most comfortable setup outside of std na ive used and I live in a part of london that has a tonne of speedbumps. If you cant get trd springs then eibach or standard

All the non turbos had oem kyb dampers apart from the anniversary models.

You can get the std na dampers from tcbparts pretty cheap, but I wouldnt use them with lowering springs I dunno how long theyd last.

that sounds pretty interesting, i've used konis before and thought they were pretty good.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

just thinking about this, i'd quite like to keep my ride height, is is the bilstiens that are too rough or what? i may just go buy some new shocks and keep the current springs.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Ride quality is largely dictated by the springs.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Harold wrote:Ride quality is largely dictated by the springs.

ah booo, i like the stance of the car, i had standard springs on my rev2 and it was bone crunching, albeit with 18" wheels.
Nic

Post by Nic »

sheppy wrote:just thinking about this, i'd quite like to keep my ride height, is is the bilstiens that are too rough or what? i may just go buy some new shocks and keep the current springs.

How low is the car sat on the Apex springs? Any pics? If the car is lowered too much it may be bottoming out on the bump stops, which makes for a very uncomfortable ride.

I use black Bilstein dampers, with Eibach Pro springs and 16" wheels, gives a good balance between ride comfort and handling.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:
sheppy wrote:just thinking about this, i'd quite like to keep my ride height, is is the bilstiens that are too rough or what? i may just go buy some new shocks and keep the current springs.

How low is the car sat on the Apex springs? Any pics? If the car is lowered too much it may be bottoming out on the bump stops, which makes for a very uncomfortable ride.

I use black Bilstein dampers, with Eibach Pro springs and 16" wheels, gives a good balance between ride comfort and handling.

yeah i'm on black billies with apexi springs and 16"s. it's only a 30mm drop.

Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Apexi springs are probably gonna be a higher spring rate than eibachs, so the ride will better on the eibachs.

Also depends if the apexi spring is a progressive, the eibachs are.

Ride is mainly down the the springs but the dampers do make a noticeable difference. My car with yellow billies is definitely a harsher ride than with konis. This is with the exact same topmount and spring setup.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Race Idiot wrote:Konis with trd springs was definitely the most comfortable setup outside of std na ive used and I live in a part of london that has a tonne of speedbumps. If you cant get trd springs then eibach or standard

I had Konis with Eibach springs and the ride was lovely... I even ended up setting them quite hard and potholes weren't really an issue.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

BC racing coilovers. Have to say they are supple enough for the uk roads.

This coming from a guy who's had both black and yellow billies
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Odin_S wrote:BC racing coilovers. Have to say they are supple enough for the uk roads.

This coming from a guy who's had both black and yellow billies

you mean they're smoother on bumps? sorry, i'm just in after a long drive :oops:
rrx

Post by rrx »

BC do a road setup for the coilovers, they can also be got at a sensible price aswell, worth speaking to them about what you want and they will advise and setup accordingly
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rrx wrote:BC do a road setup for the coilovers, they can also be got at a sensible price aswell, worth speaking to them about what you want and they will advise and setup accordingly

cheers mate, i'll have a nosey :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”