Mk2 feels a bit hairy at speed.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nik_L

Mk2 feels a bit hairy at speed.....

Post by Nik_L »

So, its always been on bk of my mind so thought i would ask.

I have a Rev 3 N/A, totally standard suspension wise and feels solid enough.

But ive noticed that when sitting on motorway it feels a bit wooly. Like your always needing to concentrate on steering input if you know what i mean. Like it would be if it was mega windy.

One thing i think might be the cause, ET45 6.5j rear wheels. They look pretty skinny and sit right in the arches, but could that be causing the woolyness?? Or is it just something that im going to have to live with??
Ryan6926

Re: Mk2 feels a bit hairy at speed.....

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'd imagine they're not helping although are they staggered fitment? I'm guessing not as even the OEM rears are 7J ET45?

If you've not got staggered fitment or staggered tyres then the car will feel all over the place at motorway speeds I expect?

I know mine was the day I bought it back from Eastbourne I don't think I've ever been so scared of a car in my life LOL
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

No they aren't staggered and have 195 tyres all round.

Short of buying new wheels as i quite like the BBS, would a set of spacers on the rear help?? I could get away with at least 20mm, there's quite a bit of space between the wheel and arch.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

That'd be an ideal place to start mate, I'd be inclined to pop wider tyres on the back as well. If they're only 6.5J you can get away with 20-25mm rear easily I'd expect buddy

Toyota have a stagger of 30mm as standard I believe so if you were to put wider tyres on then add the spacers too you'd be fine. I believe it's because if you don't have wider rears or wider tyres then the car is tramlining / being affected by crosswinds etc and the rear needs to be more planted due to the lack of weight at the front is how I understand it mate :)

Hope this helps

Ryan
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Wider rear wheels yeah could help out but I'd personally go check the wheel alignment and get it set up.. It could be the issue
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Thanks for the help. Alignment check is a good shout also.

I'll try the wider tyre's/spacers combo 1st and see how i get on as i had planned on spacers anyway.
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

I would be 99% sure it's the tyres.

I have put 215s front and rear (incorrectly and intentionally) when I normally run 215 front and 235 rear.

The car has gone from super stable and predictable to terrible, wooly and scary at anything above 40 ish.

Putting spacers on the rear won't solve the issue, you will need wider tyres.

195 is too skinny for front or rear. Should be 205 and 225.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Combo of a number of things fella.
Ist... get your tyres sorted... you want at least a 20 mm difference front to rear (Mr T says a 30mm difference but my experience says a 20mm difference is the best for neutral handling).
2nd... track difference. If you're on the same wheels front and back get 15mm spacers on the rear to replicate the oem 1inch stagger.
3rd.... if you want stabilibity on 20yr old suspension bushes try a little prayer... or go to polybushes all round to get rid of all that wishy washy whats going on here then feeling.

R.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”