[Mk2] [Turbo] Cometic 1.8/1.9mm Head gaskets

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAP BOY

[Mk2] [Turbo] Cometic 1.8/1.9mm Head gaskets

Post by JAP BOY »

Hi guys any one have any experience with using these before on a stock engine i know the increased risk of getting detonation due to the charge in the cylinder i've definately used the search button..
Could this work as a replacement for a stock engine with all bolt on mods done... I have done some reading about people wanting to use different sizes on built engines....
I removed my engine recently and decided to do the hose from hell oil and water pump when i took the head off the gasket was a steel item but quite thick and multi - layered so wondering if i should replace it with a similar item that came off the car....

The Car ran quite well before i did all these bits thoughts could it work with out too much negative effect i think yes it would work but on the negative side is it only if boost is turned up where the problem comes in.. I'm no expert at tuning thoughts and ideas welcome guys :thumleft:
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Cometic 1.8/1.9mm Head gaskets

Post by synXero »

Remember the point of them really is to control the compression ratio along with your pistons.

You're best to plan what you want to achieve - the level of boost you want to achieve needs a planned compression ratio to which end you may need a 1.8mm gasket, or smaller or larger.

If you are just looking to replace stock for stock, my personal allegiance is jus to go to Toyota... But I don't know how good or bad an idea it would be!
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

OK :thumleft: just thought as i took one which was quite thick off it would be better to replace with similar :)
Surely a 1.8mm headgasket wont change the compression ratio too much will it????
synXero

Post by synXero »

Yeah if you're not doing any other engine work, replace with what you already had, if it worked fine before.

I just read my post again and have to point out, don't use a gasket to change the compression ratio. Once you determine the compression ratio you want, achieve it with pistons made for that ratio. The gasket does modify it to some degree but it isn't the way to do it obviously. Just thought I'd make sure that was clear!
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Sweet thanks for the response mate wanted to see if anymore ppl had idea experiences or anthing of the sort.... They really should do a sticky on the head gasket thing :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”