Sell or break?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: Sell or break?

Post by ashley »

Strange that members on an MR2 club should be attached to MR2's isn't it, who'd have thought?!

:lol:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

attached to your own cars i totally understand, and if i didnt like them i wouldnt keep buying for my own cars, ive had 5 of my own now, but to try and advise/dictate/suggest (choose your own) what i do with my own cars is ridiculous

so far the best (read most stupid) is to sell a car and make a loss rather than break it just to keep it on the road for someone.

Would anyone honestly sell a car for the price they bought it for or break it for double the price - assuming they had the means and ability to do so?

if you think they would then they are either very wealthy and can afford to do so or lying
james8iles

Post by james8iles »

So is the car being broken or sold whole? I'm very interested in a complete car.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Not trying to dictate what anyone should do- life's too short for that :lol: , but at the same time I do think it's a shame that perfectly good cars keep getting broken for the sake of a few quid.

That said- if I was to sell my turbo I would probably end up breaking a lot of the valuable bits out of it to sell off...but I would also insist on keeping the chassis whole and seeing it go to a good home, either in standard form or as a project for someone. To see it crushed would be a crime [-(

Each to their own- I've said it before: I think MR2's must quake in their boots when they see you coming as a potential buyer :lol: :lol:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

lets try and draw this to a close as we each have differing opinions, i can see that its preferred to not break a perfectly good car, but we are not talking about a few quid, more like a couple of grand. My 1st rev3 turbo i ended up buying for £2k and spending £2k on it, i knew by breaking it i could get all of my money back, i would never of sold it for £4k - i havent lost money on a car ive owned for years and im not about to start now.

I rarely get attached to cars as you can tell, but for me the mr2 is a nice looking car that in rev3 turbo form goes quite well and handles ok, but they are never 'special' enough for me to keep them, i will say though that both of the rev3 turbos i bought were with the view to keep them, but now they have both been broken i know that i will buy another and keep it for a bit and that will get broken too. If the person selling the car decides to ask what my plans are and doesnt want to sell it to me thats fine, BUT when he/she has my money - game over.

..... anyone selling a rev3 turbo? #-o
ashley

Post by ashley »

All meant in good humour dude :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

from some maybe - at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion as am I.

out :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

hope there doesnt become a day when there are 0 mr2s on the road and youve got 50 stock piled in bits :eye: :oldtongue: :oldtongue:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

so do i there will be nobody buying parts
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Can see the same happening as with the original sierra cosworths, they all get either crashed or get thrashed and badly modified. Then it gets to the point where there are none left so anyone with a decent one stores it away never enjoying it.
No 2 :(
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Can i put my opinion across here? :mrgreen:
mr2mk2dotcom

Post by mr2mk2dotcom »

Thanks for all your views. One things for sure, whether you believe in breaking or not it is a very emotive topic on here. I'm still undecided what to do but I wonder if there is ever a point when a car is worth more then all it's parts being sold separately, apart from when they are new obviously as the car makers wouldn't make a profit. Having said that, if you bought all the parts from a dealer to build a new car yourself it would probably cost you ten times the price!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”