[Mk2] [Turbo] Adding a supercharger to an existing turbocharged 3S-GTE

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Adding a supercharger to an existing turbocharged 3S-GTE

Post by Rogue »

Olly.Dent wrote:Problems I'm having is with cams, I'm running HKS 264 intake and 272 exhaust but they never came with there dial in sheets so there not set up right. I'm guessing there's better cams out there for my set up? What do you think Patrick?

Give Matt a shout and I'm sure he'll guide you to the cams that we used for big power builds. They are high lift rather than long duration and require the head to be machined for clearance.

Kongaroo wrote:Any dyno sheet teasers from Patrick or Olly?

They're not my dyno plots to share I'm afraid. I'm sure Toni will post them when she's ready. :)
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Olly.Dent wrote:Problems I'm having is with cams, I'm running HKS 264 intake and 272 exhaust but they never came with there dial in sheets so there not set up right. I'm guessing there's better cams out there for my set up? What do you think Patrick?

Also the GT35 I'm using is a hybrid Owens one and Ryan and I are not sure about it.

Not normal GT35........,,,,

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/ ... 7835d6.jpg

Also I got through 3 electro magnet clutches before we noticed the circuit was not switching off when told to by the ECU due to back emf easy fix was to put a diode between its live and ground.

Many dead clutches......

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/ ... 7d315e.jpg

I take it you are using an electric clutch to prevent overspeeding the SC? This being a sequential setup rather than a compound setup?

Did you investigate fitting the charger where the alternator is and then fitting the alternator as per the GT4 etc? I would imagine its 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other but with pipes routed into the boot it might have been easier.
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Super charger is geared for max rpm at 4000rpm at which point clutch disengages and turbo takes over (helps spool the Turbo) The SC at the back is possible but less serviceable, when this set up was built it was using a side mount IC which I ditched for the CC and there was no way I was gonna start again from scratch, plus it does not matter where the SC is mounted because pressure from it when I rev from idle expands the silicon pipes in this set up!! :lol:

I will speak with Matt cheers Patrick.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

bobhatton wrote:You would have no lag, but how would you put the power to the ground.
On my new engine I do not want boost to start till I am 3500 and above

Why would you actually want to wait until above 3500 before you get boost?

I can see why you might not suddenly want a huge uncontrollable surge of torque that lights up the rear wheels but to say you don't want any boost until 3500rpm makes no sense to me, unless tuning the engine in such a way would involve other compromises that you're not prepared to make.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

kingsley wrote:
bobhatton wrote:You would have no lag, but how would you put the power to the ground.
On my new engine I do not want boost to start till I am 3500 and above

Why would you actually want to wait until above 3500 before you get boost?

I can see why you might not suddenly want a huge uncontrollable surge of torque that lights up the rear wheels but to say you don't want any boost until 3500rpm makes no sense to me, unless tuning the engine in such a way would involve other compromises that you're not prepared to make.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

The car is used for sprints and I can only get 265 tyres on the rear. It will have anything from 650 to 1200 HP, and the max revs will be around 9000.
The main problem with any two wheel drive car is getting the power to the ground so by bringing in the boost later I hope to stop a lot of the wheel spin.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

3500rpm on a drag car is fine but not on a track car and with that on a short circuit your never see an power at all!! The traction on my car is fine as I'm using 255 tyres at the back and Syvecs TC is like the 8th wonder of the world!! :thumleft:
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Olly.Dent wrote:Super charger is geared for max rpm at 4000rpm at which point clutch disengages and turbo takes over (helps spool the Turbo) The SC at the back is possible but less serviceable, when this set up was built it was using a side mount IC which I ditched for the CC and there was no way I was gonna start again from scratch, plus it does not matter where the SC is mounted because pressure from it when I rev from idle expands the silicon pipes in this set up!! :lol:

I will speak with Matt cheers Patrick.

Are you having to run air bypass valves aswell when the SC switches off? The thing I liked most about compound setups is the lack of air diversion valves and control. The thing I liked the least was the amount of knowledge you needed to size the 2 compressors and the huge boost.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Olly.Dent wrote:The traction on my car is fine as I'm using 255 tyres at the back and Syvecs TC is like the 8th wonder of the world!! :thumleft:

I've seen a few videos of it running on GT-Rs etc and it's pretty impressive. I wasn't sure how it would translate into an MR2 though. I'd love to see a video of it in action? :thumleft:

I'm tempted to swap my ECU over this year :-k
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:
Olly.Dent wrote:The traction on my car is fine as I'm using 255 tyres at the back and Syvecs TC is like the 8th wonder of the world!! :thumleft:

I've seen a few videos of it running on GT-Rs etc and it's pretty impressive. I wasn't sure how it would translate into an MR2 though. I'd love to see a video of it in action? :thumleft:

I'm tempted to swap my ECU over this year :-k

MOTEC is the only way to go
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
synXero

Post by synXero »

bobhatton wrote:The car is used for sprints and I can only get 265 tyres on the rear. It will have anything from 650 to 1200 HP, and the max revs will be around 9000. The main problem with any two wheel drive car is getting the power to the ground so by bringing in the boost later I hope to stop a lot of the wheel spin.

:lol: Followed by keeping the nose on the ground! 1200 hp even once it's rolling will probably take off!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Olly.Dent wrote:3500rpm on a drag car is fine but not on a track car and with that on a short circuit your never see an power at all!! The traction on my car is fine as I'm using 255 tyres at the back and Syvecs TC is like the 8th wonder of the world!! :thumleft:

My Motec has Traction control and Overrun boost enhancement (anti-lag) but I still do not want boost in early, it will not come onto the cams till 4000 or so
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

bobhatton wrote:
Olly.Dent wrote:3500rpm on a drag car is fine but not on a track car and with that on a short circuit your never see an power at all!! The traction on my car is fine as I'm using 255 tyres at the back and Syvecs TC is like the 8th wonder of the world!! :thumleft:

My Motec has Traction control and Overrun boost enhancement (anti-lag) but I still do not want boost in early, it will not come onto the cams till 4000 or so

surely a lower max power figure with boost/power/torque coming in sooner would be better for sprints no??
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Bobhatton I'm guessing you don't know much about Syvecs. Having a SC means the car acts like an N/A on steroids until the turbo kicks in so I have the best of both worlds and I like having power from the apex thanks very much. :oldtongue: :wink:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Olly.Dent wrote:Bobhatton I'm guessing you don't know much about Syvecs. Having a SC means the car acts like an N/A on steroids until the turbo kicks in so I have the best of both worlds and I like having power from the apex thanks very much. :oldtongue: :wink:

Honestly your efforts are wasted on Bob. ](*,)
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Most of my build was put together using all the parts from this........

Jonny Milners Celica which set the fastest time all weekend at Goodwood in 2011 he was very kind to sell me all the parts need I say more.
:thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That's quite a build =P~
synXero

Post by synXero »

Now THAT is a street sweepin' machine.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Olly.Dent wrote:Bobhatton I'm guessing you don't know much about Syvecs. Having a SC means the car acts like an N/A on steroids until the turbo kicks in so I have the best of both worlds and I like having power from the apex thanks very much. :oldtongue: :wink:

If I was able to use a light weight car with four wheel drive then I would be going for power lower down the rev range, but in the class I am now in I am not able to.
I also want the power up at higher revs because it means I can use less boost for the same power output giving less thermal load on the intake side.

Torque is great if you have the traction, but spinning the wheels just means to car is not going forward
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

flupstar from down under did a sequential turbo'd 1MZ which had some power output and easy drivability < in his words lol. Looked a monster build but amazing workmanship :thumleft: .
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Olly.Dent wrote:Problems I'm having is with cams, I'm running HKS 264 intake and 272 exhaust but they never came with there dial in sheets so there not set up right.

Olly ref HKS, pm me if needed.

Lancia did two group B rally cars with Turbo and superchargers. The 037 had 325bhp to start with in 1983. For 1984 it got a power hike with more torque.

In 1985 Lancia introduced the Delta S4 which also had 4WD and a power hike of 500 bhp initially with 600bhp being claimed before the FIA ban in 86.

A friend of mine has one of the S4's. People that have driven them claim a massive relentless torque curve from just over tickover through to the red line.

Your layout looks very neat.

Mike

Return to “Modifications”