Lauren's 4AGE build by Tom (Icunonsove)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Lauren's 4AGE build by Tom (Icunonsove)

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That's a nice rig Tom, i like that a lot.

I knew it had to be an injector fault, i didn't buy the rear overheating cylinder thing for a second, Toyota aren't that daft, just a shame it took out two engines in the process but at least it won't be taking out the new one :thumleft:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

That is genius! Will you be accepting donations for injector testing now Tom? :clap: :clap:
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Presumably No. 4 was the faulty one Tom ?

Was it over fuelling ?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

PW@Woodsport wrote:That's a nice rig Tom, i like that a lot.

Thanks Paul.
pk_090 wrote:Will you be accepting donations for injector testing now Tom? :clap: :clap:

Alex, shortly I will be working away for a while so won't be around. Certainly if someone needs to borrow it they can as long as I get it back.
elbon50 wrote:Presumably No. 4 was the faulty one Tom ?
Was it over fuelling ?

No Peter, it was underfuelling I guess and running lean and hot. It's obviously been faulty for a long time causing two engine failures. The injector has been stood around for a while and now it won't pass any fuel at all.

There is nothing wrong with the electrical side, it has the correct impedance and is taking current. The filter basket is clean and therefore the spool must be jammed solid. I've tried everything including ultrasonic cleaning and it still won't pass fuel even under much greater pressure. So Lauren will have to get a new or second hand injector to replace it.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Are injectors that expensive?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The ones for my v8 are around £180 each from Mr T
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

second hand there not , around 30 pounds will get a full set . i did find these for a new set http://www.vividracing.co.uk/injector_d ... 070743.php . excellent work tom :clap: . i have loads of spare injector you can have for free tom .

:thumleft:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Thanks Gary. I've explained it all to Lauren and it's up to her what to do next. It doesn't stop the engine rebuild, everything can be done, just means the engine can't be started until the injectors are sorted.

The part number of the injectors fitted are 23250-16010, it has a grey square plug that is different to the pink MR2 injectors I have.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Icsunonove wrote:Thanks Gary. I've explained it all to Lauren and it's up to her what to do next. It doesn't stop the engine rebuild, everything can be done, just means the engine can't be started until the injectors are sorted.

The part number of the injectors fitted are 23250-16010, it has a grey square plug that is different to the pink MR2 injectors I have.

Ouch, over £200 notes even with my trade discount, and only used on 80s cars (and the 90s JDM corona)...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'll see if and how much I can get them for. There's no rush really.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Reckon its all clogged up or an mechanical fault Tom? friend of mine did make an injector cleaner and then also fired lots of different cleaners like what you did to test it. some of the junk that came out was unbelievable.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

It's not an electrical fault, that's all I know. I've tried all sorts including ultrasonic cleaning and it still won't work :mad:, I've wasted too much time on it :thumbdown: and now things have moved on in any case....

Those injectors are no longer available from Toyota. In fact no AE86 injectors are available at all. In any case one injector plug is damaged on the wiring loom.

What I didn't realise is that Lauren had a spare MR2 loom. So I've cut the plugs off the MR2 spare loom and these will be soldered onto the AE86 loom.

That will mean we can fit the pink type injectors off the normally aspirated MR2 Mk1. I believe we will have to change the pressure regulator over as well.

I will obviously test the flow against the three working injectors to make sure we are replacing like with like. The ECU should cope with this change, they are similar impedance.

Gary (mk1dal), might be giving you a knock about those spare injectors :thumleft: Are you still in Buxton in the same place we brought Garrick's car to? :-k
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have some grey injectors at home somewhere I think
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You can't use pink Mk1b injectors on an early non resistor pack setup.

You will need to use Mk1a square top injectors on it.

The Mk1a has no resistor pack, the Mk1b does, the injector types are high and low impedance, there is a big risk of ECU damage using the wrong type.

Does Laurens 86 have a resistor pack Tom? If it does then pink ones will be fine, if not then Mk1a injectors will be the ones to use.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Ok, thanks for that Paul. :thumleft:

PW@Woodsport wrote:
Does Laurens 86 have a resistor pack Tom? If it does then pink ones will be fine, if not then Mk1a injectors will be the ones to use.

No it doesn't.

I wrote:....The ECU should cope with this change, they are similar impedance.

Basically the injectors that were fitted have a resistance of 2.3 - 2.4 Ohms. The pink injectors I have have a resistance of around 2.9 Ohms (I think).

The car does not have its original ECU fitted, so I am a bit confused whether the setup was correct or not :?

I'll let Lauren sort this out, I need to get on with sorting the mechanical aspects of the rebuild.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hmm, i hadn't factored in the different ECU Tom, it could be the ECU is compatable with low impedance injectors and the pink Mk1b ones will be fine..... but on a Mk1b they always have a resistor pack fitted to compensate for the ECU drivers.

I'm not sure now that the ECU is a bit of an unknown.... i'd be tempted to try pink ones given the resistance reading is similar, but it really should have a resistor pack on those, who knows, we may have just stumbled on the reason for the injector failure, i'm not sure what would happen if you supplied 5 or 6 amps to an injector that normally works in the 1.5 amp area....
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Don't forget it is a JDM ECU too.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Thanks Paul. I have the old (modified) ECU that was fitted when Lauren bought the car and I will get the part numbers off this and the one that is now fitted. It's all a bit confusing :?

I have absolutely no idea whether the setup was correct or not at the moment.

I need to leave this to Lauren to sort, I need to just get the mechanicals done.
Last edited by Icsunonove on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's very odd.... all older Toyotas from this era have high impedance injectors e.g the Mk1a , which runs purely from the ECU with no resistor pack in between. If this car has no resistor pack then either it has the wrong ECU type fitted for the injectors that were in there or the ECU is of a type i have never seen before on a older Toyota, one that drives low impedance injectors without the need for a resistor pack.

It's very difficult to say, it could be it is just the injector type that is wrong.

A way forward would be to start the engine up on its current injectors (one faulty at idle isn't going to harm anything) and measure the ampage being output by that ECU at the injector plug, if it's around 1- 1.5amps then pink injectors will be fine and it means your ECU is of a type that drives low imp injectors, however if it's supplying around 3-6 amps that means the ECU is meant for Mk1a type injectors.

I can't think of any other way to test that...
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Ok, thanks again, before I do anything else I'll double check later what I have said above is correct, I am beginning to doubt myself :?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”